Akira Toriyama's Involvement in GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nyogo
Not-So-Newbie

Akira Toriyama's Involvement in GT

Post by Nyogo » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:43 pm

I just found an artwork of SSJ4 Goku that looks like it came from Akira Toriyama. I thought he only created concepts for Goku, Trunks, Pan, and locations. The artwork seems to be water colored, so I think it really might be from him. Is this real or fake?

Hikari_dashita
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Hikari_dashita » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:14 pm

most people wouldn't dignify this with an answer but i'm nice......

It's not a toriyama piece of art work it's probably a VERY good fan art, or a croped image form a screen cap.
NEKOJIN =^.^=

Nekojin =^.^=

Ya I like cat people so what?

WhatTheDarn
Not-So-Newbie

Post by WhatTheDarn » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:34 pm

This page apparently has am AT design of GT Kuririn:

http://www.aino.com/akatombo/kand18/gallery.htm

Scroll down a bit.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:38 pm

Must be very good fanart or the real thing, cuz it looks very manga-ish. Definitly Toriyama's style of shading. Course, its not like it would be too difficult to emulate that style :p

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:27 am

WhatTheDarn wrote:This page apparently has am AT design of GT Kuririn:

http://www.aino.com/akatombo/kand18/gallery.htm
It's Toriyama's, all right (the caption for the two rows of drawings Kuririn is part of reads "鳥山明のキャラ原案," or "Akira Toriyama's original character plans"). He did a number of black-and-white drawings of the characters, as well as some color concept art featuring Goku, Trunks, Pan, and Giru.

However, simply being drawn "manga-style" isn't quite good enough, here, since a good deal of hand-drawn art by Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru (a.k.a. The Guy At Toei Who Can Mimic Toriyama's Style Exactly) is also in these books. When in doubt, read the captions. :)

EDIT: Sorry, quoted the wrong message. My bad. :oops:
Last edited by SaiyaJedi on Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:49 am

Is that Tori's dude? I suggested it a while back and the BW looks just like his work, but I never saw his sig on it, nor did I see any mention of his connection, BUT I could have missed something.

Rad Raddish
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Rad Raddish » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:22 am

Yar, I heard he did a bunch of concept art, and he liked the idea of the show. But don't it seem like what was meant to be a DB and DBZ fusion saga turned quickly into mostly bad aspects of DBZ?
"Ah ha ha ha! Ah, excuse me, has anyone seen my arm? Ha ha ha ha! You can't miss it, it's green."
-Raditz

Shenron_3000
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shenron_3000 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:25 pm

Yeh but no.

I thought that Akira did all the artwork for GT.

Anyway the picture does look like Akira's style but i have seen Fan's work that looks like Akira's style, so it could be fan Manga.

By the way I took special interest to notice that his trousers are Hitched up higher than usual.
And obviously his arms are massive...

Final thought : probably not Akira's. 8)
Its all fun and games untill somebody loses an eye :lol:

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:33 pm

Shenron_3000 wrote:Yeh but no.

Anyway the picture does look like Akira's style but i have seen Fan's work that looks like Akira's style, so it could be fan Manga.

By the way I took special interest to notice that his trousers are Hitched up higher than usual.

... :roll:
Dear Fanboys... wrote:His name is not "Akira."
Either call him "Akira Toriyama" or simply "Toriyama." You're not on a first-name basis with the man. Show some damn respect.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Shenron_3000
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shenron_3000 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:01 pm

:shock: Sorry i am used to shortening peoples names, but your right and come to think of it Akira Toriyama is one of my heroes.

Maybe you should introduce a new rule in which to show respect, we must call him Toriyama-Sama.

No joke i do truly respect him and would love to meet him actually...

8)
Its all fun and games untill somebody loses an eye :lol:

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:59 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Shenron_3000 wrote:Yeh but no.

... :roll:
Dear Fanboys... wrote:His name is not "Akira."
Either call him "Akira Toriyama" or simply "Toriyama." You're not on a first-name basis with the man. Show some damn respect.
As soon as I read that post... I knew this was coming! XD

So Toriyama never designed SSJ4!? I bet he must've had to at least approve it!

omae no kaasan

Post by omae no kaasan » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:23 pm

Guys....it's NOT fan work. It was included in DBGT Perfect File. Why I question whether or not it was/is his work or not is because:

A. It was not included in the Toriyama Gallery
B. No sig attached
C. No specific mention of him doing that I have stumbled across

I will admit the B/W sketch REEEEEEEEEAAAAALLY looks like his hand, but so does the majority of the television animation to begin with, that's what animators do.

Saiya?

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:59 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:
I will admit the B/W sketch REEEEEEEEEAAAAALLY looks like his hand, but so does the majority of the television animation to begin with, that's what animators do.

Saiya?
From what I gather, Toriyama's art contributions to the series are pretty limited. In color, there's the illustrations of several planet scenes (particularly Mommath and Rudeze), as well as conceptual art for Chibi Goku, Trunks, Pan, their ship, and Giru (the commentary seems to note that these were worked on by a combination of Toriyama and the show's staff). In black and white, there's drawings of 13 characters as they are a number of years after the end of DBZ (Kuririn, Satan, Uub, Chichi, Goten, Videl, Gohan, Trunks, Goku, Pan, Vegeta, Bra, and Bulma). The commentary below the black-and-white images says that Vegeta especially was a "shock" to the staff (although the "shou" in "shougeki" is written with the character for "warau," which would also make it partly a "farce"), that the women's hairstyles all became elegant / complicated, and that Goten got rid of his long hair.

So, in short: those 13 characters are definitely all Toriyama, while the color illustrations I mentioned seem to be collaborative. And, the GT staff thought Vegeta's mustache was so bad, it was funny.

Thoughts?

omae no kaasan

Post by omae no kaasan » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:15 pm

Right, but in short you agree or disagree that the B/W SSJ4 is his or not? Even in the two sections of the PF attributed to his work, there's no mention of it.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:53 am

omae no kaasan wrote:Right, but in short you agree or disagree that the B/W SSJ4 is his or not? Even in the two sections of the PF attributed to his work, there's no mention of it.
Unless I see definitive proof, I'd say no.