Your favourite Dragon Ball game for PS2.

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Your favourite Dragon Ball game for PS2.

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:17 pm

So we have-

Budokai.
Budokai 2.
Budokai 3.
Sparking!
Sparking! NEO.
Sparking! METEOR.
Super Dragon Ball Z.
Infinite World.

I think my favourite would have to be Sparking! METEOR, mostly due to Dragon Dash, and the great variety of characters. That only just sets it above Sparking! NEO. I actually haven't played Infinite World or the first Sparking! game. But very recently, I have also started to warm to Super Dragon Ball Z, and am finally starting to get the hang of it, so that's crawling closer to the top than I thought possible.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:58 pm

My favorite would would have to be BT3... I'm actually playing that right now :lol: . Although it lacks in story (compared to BT2), it makes up for it in the improved game mechanics and character selection. I think that system of fighting is totally unique and perfect for the Dragon Ball universe. Although I normally not a huge fan of fighters, Super Dragon Ball Z is a lot of fun, Budokai 3 is not too bad either.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

Zenkai Power
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai Power » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:08 pm

Budokai 3 has always been my favorite. But overtime I guess it's become a bit dull due to playing it so much since 2004. Infinte World was kind of lame with it's mini games that bored me to death like "don't get hit!" How fun. Or "Jump through the rings" .. how fun. But it's fighting thing was still pretty cool. I like the addition of that speed around them and hit them and then the camera pulls in close and you can kamehameha them. A nice new feature in addition to some of B3's old moves.

However, B3 still wins over that. BT series is fun but I like the playing style and speed of Budokai over BT. I just don't like that behind the back view as much. Although BT3 was pretty fun.

SO BUDOKAI 3!

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:30 pm

Dragonball Z Sagas obviously, why isn't THAT on the list?
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:40 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:Dragonball Z Sagas obviously, why isn't THAT on the list?
I was wondering if there was any I missed...

That was never even released in Australia, I'm pretty certain, and I keep forgetting that it exists... :wink:
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

finnishjuoppo
Beyond Newbie

Post by finnishjuoppo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:25 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:Dragonball Z Sagas obviously, why isn't THAT on the list?
I was wondering if there was any I missed...

That was never even released in Australia, I'm pretty certain, and I keep forgetting that it exists... :wink:
That is sad, we all should remember sagas :wink:
-"this is madness"
-"madness? no.. this..is.. dragonball!"

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:28 pm

For the record, Battle Stadium D.O.N. also came out on PS2 :). Depends on whether or not you want to consider that a "DBZ game" like the others, though, I suppose...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:52 pm

finnishjuoppo wrote:That is sad, we all should remember sagas :wink:
Sagas! Best game evar. Bar none. I'm thinking about starting a new video series on YouTube about Sagas.

</sarcasm>
Last edited by Innagadadavida on Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:48 pm

You know, I'm just going to say Sagas is my favourite, mostly because it was different and that swell opening.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:50 pm

For me it's a tie between Budokai 3 and METEOR. Budokai 3 because it was one of the few games I've ever sat through and did everything there is to do. I just couldn't get enough of that game and it was easily the best budokai they've put out. METEOR because in my opinion it was the best out of the Sparking series. It really is one of the only DBZ games that feels like you're playing the show. Sometimes I'd be watching some of my seasons sets, looking at a clip on Youtube, or talking about stuff on the forums here and it'd make me feel like playing some METEOR. I'd just be like "Man I wanna beat Broly up with Dabura." I really enjoyed both of those games. Budokai 2 had the best opening though hands down. I wish they would have did animated intros for all the games. It might cost money but it's not like they won't make it back anyways. :?
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:19 pm

Super DragonBall Z. I can pick it up at any point and play a few rounds and have a blast. Plus, the (sans Piccolo's fingers) manga inspired loading screens and color palette = yse.

After that, Budokai 3 was probably my favorite. I have Sparking Neo and Meteor, but aside from a quick playthrough of both I never found them that engaging. Sparking with downright forgettable, at least Budokai 1 had the "what-if" scenarios.

Infinite World doesn't even get a mention, since it was basically "Hey, let's take Budokai 3 and just make small changes to milk the franchise one more time this generation." At least Burst Limit was pretty ;p

Now, after playing Street Fighter IV for two weeks, I want to see Yoshinori Ono take a crack at a DragonBall fighting game. I would settle for Noritaka Funamizu coming back and doing a well-deserved sequel to Super DBZ though.

-Corey

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:05 am

Super DBZ. Along with what Corey said, that game has classic fighter style dial-a-combos. Nothing like picking up Super DBZ and already knowing how to play as Goku because of the time you spent as a Shoto in Street Fighter.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:48 am

Budokai 3 for me. IMO the best DBZ game the ps2 had. The others all ad problems :

Budokai. - Ended at cell and felt incomplete (though Mini cell what if = Awesome)
Budokai 2. - Hated the board game story mode

Sparking! - Sparking! METEOR. = bad overly simple fighting games IMO. But still cool dbz games

Super Dragon Ball Z. - Was supposed to be like street fighter yet the combos were much easier, The new improved metal frieza = horrible. Felt like a quick $$ game.

Infinite World - not played to judge

Sagas - never played to judge it.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:39 pm

VegettoEX wrote:For the record, Battle Stadium D.O.N. also came out on PS2 :). Depends on whether or not you want to consider that a "DBZ game" like the others, though, I suppose...
I remember really wanting that game, but was it actually any good? I seem to recall it getting decent reviews.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:17 pm

Hopefully within a few days, I'll have adequately sampled Infinite World, Super DBZ, and Tenkaichi 3, so I'll be able to give an opinion then.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:58 pm

Story- Budokai 1
Gameplay- Budokai 3

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:59 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:I remember really wanting that game, but was it actually any good?
It's decent, and this is coming from someone who doesn't really consider the Budokai/Sparking games to be that good.

It's one of the better PS2 games you can get with Dragonball characters, though of course it helps if you like the other series as well.

Watch out for the most ridiculously idiotic system for unlocking stuff I've seen in my life, though.

Unlike the other games, this one can actually be played with other people, too. There's no stupid capsule/potara/koma/whatever system here, just choose a character and fight.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:53 pm

Budokai 3 Greatest Hits version is my favorite DBZ PS2 game. I have sunk hours into this game for improving my skills, buying capsules, unlocking capsules, and just having a ball.
I liked Super DBZ too, but Budokai 3 had everything I wanted in a DBZ fighting game. Speaking of which I think I may pop it in.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:35 pm

For me, Super Dragon Ball Z and Budokai 3 take the cake. Both of them are self-explanatory. I love the Street Fighter feeling I got from Super, and Budokai 3 and it's dragon world was pure win, though it should've had more characters to choose from.

I'm a fan of the BT series, but it just seemed to get old too quickly for some reason. Wish I could've enjoyed them more, though. Well, I enjoyed BT3 enough, so I didn't miss much, I guess. Sagas is also cool, but of course, a very "flawed" cool at best.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:26 am

To this day, I still have no idea what sort of gameplay Sagas used. :P