Dragon Ball: Evolution- Speculation and Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:30 pm

omegacwa wrote:I seriously hope I am not the only one who really liked all those new clips on Jappo' site.

I am totally ruining the movie for myself, but those clips were really great. But I do feel like the Piccolo/Gohan one was cut down or something.
They couldn't have made it anymore like Dragonball. Loved them.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:31 pm

snaku wrote:
JAPPO wrote:Everyone watch the Roshi meets Goku clip (extended 5 minute), it shows he's still a pervert!

if you don't have the link I embedded it here
http://dbthemovie.com
He has a bikini magazine, no more perverted than any other red blooded male.

God, Chatku's delivery of his lines was so bad; wooden enough to land him a role in a Star Wars prequel.
Well, in all honestly they could have not had him have a magazine at all. Roshi always had playboy like magazines around, but since this movie is more family friendly a swimsuit issue is perfectly acceptable.

Also I do agree that Justin Chatwin's acting is quite ridged in that scene, but he seems ok in the other clips so whatever.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:33 pm

I will admit Chatku's delivery can be at times dry. But it's not that bad to the point it's unbearable, just not up to the rest of the cast's acting.

And roshi put his hands on a strangers ass... that's perverted.
http://video.sina.com.cn/ent/m/f/2009-0 ... 6519.shtml

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:50 pm

I've been waiting for something to sway my opinion one way. AND...these clips have gotten me very excited. This is impressive stuff. In the Bulma meets Goku scene, I was very happy when she said "Bulma Briefs". This is going to turn out to be a pretty impressive movie. I'll be there opening night.
"I GOTTA GAMBLE EVERYTHING I GOT ON THIS ONE FIST!!!!" - Son Goku, Tale 160

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:52 pm

The clips also left a good impression on me. I was very happy to hear Capsule Corporation and see Bulma using her sexy tactics on Yamcha... I also liked it that Roshi touched Bulma's behind and that she made an angry comment about it.

Chatku hasn't convinced me yet though...

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:58 pm

Maybe I don't care so much about Goku because he isn't my favorite character. His portrayal seems "fine" to me so far, although I will admit he almost seems more like Teen Gohan than Goku.

I find it interesting that the movie is going with the Go "HANN" pronunciation as opposed to how I, and most people I know say it Go "H ON"

Daijuken
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Daijuken » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:01 pm

omegacwa wrote:Maybe I don't care so much about Goku because he isn't my favorite character. His portrayal seems "fine" to me so far, although I will admit he almost seems more like Teen Gohan than Goku.

I find it interesting that the movie is going with the Go "HANN" pronunciation as opposed to how I, and most people I know say it Go "H ON"
Wasn't it just Roshi who said "Hann"? I thought I heard Chatku say "Hon" in another clip.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:04 pm

You might be right. It was just Chow Yun Fat's pronunciation that stood out to me.

Daijuken
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Daijuken » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:07 pm

omegacwa wrote:You might be right. It was just Chow Yun Fat's pronunciation that stood out to me.
Well, he is Asian, and that's what you wanted, right...RIGHT!? :twisted:

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:22 pm

Ha ha, I honestly wouldn't have cared who they cast for the characters as long as they do an at least half way decent job. I am certainly not one of those people who is like "ERGGHH ALL THE CHARACTERS SHOULD HAVE BEEN ASIAN!!!!".

I find it HILARIOUS that on youtube and some other places people are complaining that Chow Yun Fat is ridged and a terrible actor who can't speak English properly! Yet when he was first cast people were all like "Yeah! An Asian guy is Master Roshi!"

Seriously, an all Asian cast, speaking English in a Hollywood movie would have been bad.

By the way, Joon Park sounds awesome, for a guy I am assuming first language wasn't English he certainly sounds great.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:24 pm

World Premiere Photos

EDIT: It also appears there were live streams of the event that has now ended but there is still a short Japanese promo-trailer-thingy here.
Last edited by Son Wukong on Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:27 pm

Something else I noticed that is no way a bad thing, but Emmy Rossum has a deep, almost raspy voice, which is such a turn around from her English voice actor which is high pitched almost Valley Girl.

Daijuken
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Daijuken » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:29 pm

omegacwa wrote:Ha ha, I honestly wouldn't have cared who they cast for the characters as long as they do an at least half way decent job. I am certainly not one of those people who is like "ERGGHH ALL THE CHARACTERS SHOULD HAVE BEEN ASIAN!!!!".

I find it HILARIOUS that on youtube and some other places people are complaining that Chow Yun Fat is ridged and a terrible actor who can't speak English properly! Yet when he was first cast people were all like "Yeah! An Asian guy is Master Roshi!"

Seriously, an all Asian cast, speaking English in a Hollywood movie would have been bad.

By the way, Joon Park sounds awesome, for a guy I am assuming first language wasn't English he certainly sounds great.
Yeah, there's this guy on YT ( Who shall not be named... a, screw it, "Kame789" is his name ) and he's like "OMG, why's the cast not asian??", and now that he's heard Chow-Yun Fat say Gohan, he's like "Haha, he can't even say Gohan right." :roll:

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:34 pm

Most of the clips were pretty cringe worthy in my book. But I'm glad to see that Kame-sennin is being portrayed seemingly on key. That makes me very happy.

Daijuken
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Daijuken » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:37 pm

Gozar wrote:Most of the clips were pretty cringe worthy in my book. But I'm glad to see that Kame-sennin is being portrayed seemingly on key. That makes me very happy.
Yeah, I'm also glad Roshi called himself "Muten-Roshi", and Bulma is "Bulma Briefs"... and Capsule Cooperation. :)

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:41 pm

Daijuken wrote:
Gozar wrote:Most of the clips were pretty cringe worthy in my book. But I'm glad to see that Kame-sennin is being portrayed seemingly on key. That makes me very happy.
Yeah, I'm also glad Roshi called himself "Muten-Roshi", and Bulma is "Bulma Briefs"... and Capsule Cooperation. :)
Yeah, it's cool to see some Japanese phrases. But then again I don't like the mispronunciation of Gohan's name by Kame-sennin. I wonder if they'll pronounce Saiyan like the Dub or not...But is it just me or is the acting really over the top?

Daijuken
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Daijuken » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:45 pm

Gozar wrote:
Daijuken wrote:
Yeah, it's cool to see some Japanese phrases. But then again I don't like the mispronunciation of Gohan's name by Kame-sennin. I wonder if they'll pronounce Saiyan like the Dub or not...But is it just me or is the acting really over the top?
Dragon Ball is an over the top comic/show with over the top acting in the anime ( Even in the Japanese version ), so I don't necessarily have a problem with it. :o

And I think Roshi's mispronunciation of Gohan was because of Chow-Yun Fat's heavy Asian accent. I heard Chatku say Gohan right in another clip.
Last edited by Daijuken on Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:46 pm

Gozar wrote:
Daijuken wrote:
Mostly cuz it's supposed to be over-the-top?

It's a movie based on a goofy, over-the-top anime..

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:47 pm

Daijuken wrote:Dragon Ball is an over the top comic/show with over the top acting in the anime ( Even in the Japanese version ), so I don't necessarily have a problem with it. :o
But there's a difference. Over the top works better in Animation. In live action it just sounds like the people can't act. :?

Daijuken
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Daijuken » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:49 pm

Gozar wrote:
Daijuken wrote:Dragon Ball is an over the top comic/show with over the top acting in the anime ( Even in the Japanese version ), so I don't necessarily have a problem with it. :o
But there's a difference. Over the top works better in Animation. In live action it just sounds like the people can't act. :?
But if they did that, then it would drown out the fun of DB. At least they're trying be like the show... and it's been proven that all of the actors can act, as shown in other movies. It seems like a homage to the anime, IMO.
Last edited by Daijuken on Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.