Dragon Ball: Evolution- Speculation and Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:52 pm

I wonder if someone will sub the Japanese dub before April rolls around.
It would be interesting to watch the dub to see if they liberally changed the dialogue. Someone will no doubt do this soon. However, the subtitles on the version I saw were word for word translations. So even when they summoned the dragon, they didn't write the original words. There's a chance that MAY have changed in the dub.

As for how they handle these films, since this film was intended for a wide audience there are both subbed and dubbed versions. TYPICALLY Dreamworks and Pixar stuff have more dub showings than subbed showings. They use an all-star cast just like the US too and even include local jokes, puns etc. Sometimes films intended for families, like Narnia, have more subbed versions playing with a few dub versions running as well. This is the category DB finds itself in when looking at playing schedules I saw far more sub time-slots than dub ones.

POSSIBLE SPOILER

YOU'RE WARNED

It is POSSIBLE (but I'll cut anyone who quotes me on this) that Ernie Hudson plays Kaio.

WTF!?

No, calm the hell down.

Listen, they called his character by name one time in the movie and it sure as hell didn't sound like Mutaito. Was it ever confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt he played Mutaito? I can't claim to have read the credits closely, I was too busy laughing over the Piccolo stinger.

Now if that's not the case, there are also a few scenes in the 'afterlife'. And by 'afterlife' I mean blue filtered shots of Gohan standing outside his home in water. It's possible they intended that place to be a kind of 'limbo' since it's where Goku sees him after being shot by an energy gun and isn't quite dead (which is why Roshi uses the Kame Hame Ha to revive him ((of course)) ) ANYWAY, since that scene has somewhat to do with the afterlife, it's possible that's the soundtrack in question. This seems most likely if you ask me.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:01 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote: Err, the review referenced is on the Korea Herald's website...
I was talking about well known and objective American critics.
No offense, but no such thing exists. Every critic has some bias. Hell, every human being has some bias. Besides, what does it matter that they aren't American? The studio saw some advantage to premiering the movie overseas and even cast a few prominent Japanese/Chinese/Korean celebrities in main roles.

-Corey
I am an American, not Korean, Japanese etc., so what appeals to an American might not appeal to someone else. While they may have disliked it, many people in the US may react differently. I am not the type of person that eats up or believes anything that comes from outside of the country and think that it is superior (I am not accusing you of that). Sometimes things just suck no matter where it originates and sometimes it does not.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:05 pm

@ omae no kaasan: I think he's called Sifu Norris or something in the movie.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:07 pm

@ omae no kaasan: I think he's called Sifu Norris or something in the movie.
Thank you for clearing that up, there you have it folks.

No Kaio in the film.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:18 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:I am an American, not Korean, Japanese etc., so what appeals to an American might not appeal to someone else.
That's an odd and somewhat ignorant statement, in my opinion. This movie is based on a property that has been received warmly in several countries, and yet you're saying the movie might not be able to be enjoyed by the same audiences that loved the anime and manga for decades? What makes the Asian fan a different animal than the American fan?

Besides, several well-made properties that are distinctively American have been well received in Japan/China/Korea (hell, Japan still loves our 80's hair bands), so I feel that using the cultural differences as an excuse is somewhat poorly founded.
While they may have disliked it, many people in the US may react differently.
Why does there have to be solidarity among citizens of any country? Some people in Japan might love it. Some in the US might hate it. Personally, I found the linked review to be just that: Someone who hated it and happens to work for a publication in Korea.
I am not the type of person that eats up or believes anything that comes from outside of the country and think that it is superior (I am not accusing you of that).
And yet you're basically saying you'll "eat up" what comes from inside this country, as though it's a better source. It just seems a bit bigoted.

As for me, I can appreciate things from all countries. I have furniture from Sweden, electronics and a car from Japan, handguns from Italy, Brazil and the United States, American guitars, music and movies from damned near everywhere...none of which is better based solely on where it originates from.
Sometimes things just suck no matter where it originates and sometimes it does not.
Agreed, and while I by no means intend for anyone to receive anyone's opinion as being irrefutable, it seems somewhat obscene to write off reviews from overseas simply based on the fact that they're from overseas.

-Corey

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:34 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
I am not the type of person that eats up or believes anything that comes from outside of the country and think that it is superior (I am not accusing you of that).
And yet you're basically saying you'll "eat up" what comes from inside this country, as though it's a better source. It just seems a bit bigoted.
In no way at all did he mean that. He never once said that he'll "eat up" what comes from inside this country. He just said that he's specifically NOT the type of person who assumes everything that comes in from other countries is good. And there are people like that.

AndoKomando

Post by AndoKomando » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:50 pm

man i wanted to like this movie. I'm still going to see it though of course. nothing will stop me from seeing it. but i knew in the end it was gana be nothing. and i know why it sucked so bad because of the director he sucks. i dont like james wong as a director. when i heard he was directing i was like "shit man this is not gana be that good. at all" and it seems i was right.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:53 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:In no way at all did he mean that. He never once said that he'll "eat up" what comes from inside this country. He just said that he's specifically NOT the type of person who assumes everything that comes in from other countries is good. And there are people like that.
I'm not going to derail this topic and make it a argument over what he meant, but his entire post seemed to intimate that he didn't trust overseas reviews but would trust a domestic review. A bit amusing, given that he refers to Goku solely as Kakarrot (a foreign name in the series, which he seems to like better because it's...well, foreign).

-Corey

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:01 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:In no way at all did he mean that. He never once said that he'll "eat up" what comes from inside this country. He just said that he's specifically NOT the type of person who assumes everything that comes in from other countries is good. And there are people like that.
I'm not going to derail this topic and make it a argument over what he meant, but his entire post seemed to intimate that he didn't trust overseas reviews but would trust a domestic review. A bit amusing, given that he refers to Goku solely as Kakarrot (a foreign name in the series, which he seems to like better because it's...well, foreign).

-Corey
I'm not going to speak for him, but I can tell you that what I inferred from what he posted and what you inferred from what he posted are two different ideas. I'm just trying to point out that I don't think that he's being bigoted, it looks to me like he's saying that he'd like to hear from an American critic, not that all critics that aren't American are wrong.

Also, the fact that you attempted to point out potential hypocracy on his part not only seems irrelevant, but also makes this look like its a personal thing. Which, I'm sure that it isn't.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:49 am

Innagadadavida wrote:...I'm not going to speak for him, but I can tell you that what I inferred from what he posted and what you inferred from what he posted are two different ideas. I'm just trying to point out that I don't think that he's being bigoted, it looks to me like he's saying that he'd like to hear from an American critic, not that all critics that aren't American are wrong.

Also, the fact that you attempted to point out potential hypocracy on his part not only seems irrelevant, but also makes this look like its a personal thing. Which, I'm sure that it isn't.
Innagadadavida you are correct; I was speaking for myself and perhaps some others that feel the same way I do. I reject any reviews on the web that originate with fans because usually the ones that is going on about it are apart of the ‘it’s not like the manga’ crowd. A group that has been bad-mouthing it from the beginning, I want to give this movie a chance and read some reviews from some non-fans that has some years of experience critiquing American cinema. For at the end of the day an American movie studio made the film for American movie goers even though it was based off a Japanese property. How it performs at the box-office in North America will most likely determine if we will receive future installments. It was the American Funimation version of Dragonball Z that made me a fan of Dragonball to begin with so naturally I would like to see similar adaptations in the movie.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

mrkaizoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by mrkaizoku » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:01 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:You thought the idea of a movie based on a game where a silent hero saves a princess from a crazy mutant turtle was a cool concept? Really? REALLY?
What exactly is not to like about that? They had the potential to make an even crazier movie than "Forbidden Zone". Instead we just got a bunch of Italian jokes by two guys who weren't even remotely Italian. That said I do have nostalgia love for that terrible Mario movie. It was the first movie that my brother and I saw together in a in a movie theater, and it was magic. We grew up extremely poor so going to the theater was something very special. It's still one of my fondest memories.

On to the topic at hand
Saiyan-Professor wrote:For at the end of the day an American movie studio made the film for American movie goers even though it was based off a Japanese property.
Yet the movie was released in Japan a month earlier than in America. Strange huh?
母しゃべる「ドッグチーズ」

plusloud

Post by plusloud » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:10 am

I, a fairly competent Dragonball fan, have tickets to see this movie with my extremely patient girlfriend in just over four hours. After reading Greg's review, I get the strangest feeling that I will be single by the end of the evening.
Umm... just call me Remy, already. :p

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:17 am

Kiriyama BRX wrote:I, a fairly competent Dragonball fan, have tickets to see this movie with my extremely patient girlfriend in just over four hours. After reading Greg's review, I get the strangest feeling that I will be single by the end of the evening.
Wow........ :twisted:

plusloud

Post by plusloud » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:16 am

Well, somehow she's still willing to stay with me.

Anyhow, I can kind of understand their thought process in making the film as they did:

1) Kids under 14 "can't do martial arts scenes," so skip to adult Gokuh.
2) Everything - from short dictators to Bloodsport to terrorist armies - is entirely out of the PG question. So what was next in line? Right, millennia-old demons.
3) Let's give the fans something to talk about. For every one thing we get right, let's violently sodomize four other things.
4) On second thought, let's make that a one-to-twenty ratio.
5) Okay, next is casting. Who's JUST under the radar or JUST old enough so we can end their careers with as little residual damage to us as possible?

You know, I get the feeling that everything I've said and otherwise could say, Greg and others have/will said/say it better. So I'll just leave it at that.

No, one more thing. So that I would not kill myself this evening, I tried switching "Gokuh" to "Jacob" to convince myself that I was watching a different movie. The end result: I hate all of my friends named Jacob now.
Umm... just call me Remy, already. :p

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:16 pm

Actually I just remembered, was there not mention of a couple little "cameos" during the Tournament scene? Maybe when this hits stateside and we catch the credits we can see all of the character names; I'm sure "Kaiou-Samma" would be in there as well.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:24 pm

Kiriyama BRX wrote:Well, somehow she's still willing to stay with me.

No, one more thing. So that I would not kill myself this evening, I tried switching "Gokuh" to "Jacob" to convince myself that I was watching a different movie. The end result: I hate all of my friends named Jacob now.
Wow, a movie has so much sway over your life, that's kind of pathetic. :D

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:37 pm

He's not being serious, omega. Exaggerating like that's just a way of showing some enthusiasm and having some fun.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:38 pm

Durrr.... I was kidding too. It's like people don't understand the point of emoticons.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:34 pm

I'm not sure they exist so that you can call people "pathetic" and get away with it.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:48 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:I'm not sure they exist so that you can call people "pathetic" and get away with it.
Because we CANNOT sit idly by and let people get away with this! :lol:
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ