Dragon Ball: Evolution- Speculation and Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:57 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:
Um dude, it's even in the trailer.

"Seven mystics banded together to fight the invaders. They created the Dragon Balls."
- Master Roshi

In the script there's more detail: "before they died they created the Dragon Balls, so that their power, in the form of Shen Long the Dragon God, may be used against a future threat." (paraphrasing).
Although I recalled that from the trailer, I think Herms was asking to see if that changed or expanded since then which...I really can't answer. I honestly wasn't paying attention. The start of the film just barrages the viewer with information and so much of it is bogus, THAT stole my attention. Especially the part where they detail Piccolo's original assault on Earth with the aid of Oozaru XXXXX years ago. I mean, do you know what that implies? Piccolo came to Earth with ANOTHER Saiyan that many years ago.

What?

And that's how the movie starts.

Not to mention they removed the nifty zoom-out from the sun with the solar flare resembling the original DB intro. Which just baffled me.
Individuals on here have been stating that all the things that you mentioned, would not appear in the film for quite a while now, so why are you shocked when you actually saw it and they were not there? Did you think that they would rewrite and reshoot the whole movie to make it, as some fans want it?
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:07 pm

Maybe he didn't read all 137 pages of this topic? Or the other topics before it?
I say we burn him on a stake.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:18 pm

Individuals on here have been stating that all the things that you mentioned, would not appear in the film for quite a while now, so why are you shocked when you actually saw it and they were not there?
Hmm, I thought I mentioned in my review that I avoided avid discussion and/or scenes online outside of the 2 or 3 trailers I saw. You'll notice I had little to no presence in this thread (or any discussion of the film) until I went to see it.

I'm not a fan of spoilers and I usually consider trailers spoiler-free since they're a conscious effort on behalf of the creators to spark interest in the product without ruining what it has to offer.

So when I see something I enjoyed and thought was clever, actually removed from the film, it is indeed shocking and not being intimately involved with this thread (let alone Dragon Ball anymore) did not prepare me for that.

I would suspect the scene will be added to the foreign release with the 15 extra minutes, if that's true.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:43 pm

I saw most of the movie, and it's really not bad at all. In fact it's pretty damn good.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:52 pm

In your opinion, anyways.

I'm going to be keeping my money and staying far away from the film.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:53 pm

Tsukento wrote:In your opinion, anyways.
Yes. Obviously.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:59 pm

Remember guy's, it's just a cartoon. Let's not pop tyleonal over this.

Oh, wait...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:09 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Remember guy's, it's just a cartoon. Let's not pop tyleonal over this.

Oh, wait...
Just a cartoon! You sick bastard.

:lol:
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:50 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:
Individuals on here have been stating that all the things that you mentioned, would not appear in the film for quite a while now, so why are you shocked when you actually saw it and they were not there?
Hmm, I thought I mentioned in my review that I avoided avid discussion and/or scenes online outside of the 2 or 3 trailers I saw. You'll notice I had little to no presence in this thread (or any discussion of the film) until I went to see it.

I'm not a fan of spoilers and I usually consider trailers spoiler-free since they're a conscious effort on behalf of the creators to spark interest in the product without ruining what it has to offer.

So when I see something I enjoyed and thought was clever, actually removed from the film, it is indeed shocking and not being intimately involved with this thread (let alone Dragon Ball anymore) did not prepare me for that.

I would suspect the scene will be added to the foreign release with the 15 extra minutes, if that's true.
:lol: That is funny because we both decided to stay away from certain things, you spoilers and as for myself most fan reviews thus I missed your statement.
JAPPO wrote:I saw most of the movie, and it's really not bad at all. In fact it's pretty damn good.
I am glad that someone on here that has seen the movie has something positive to say. :D
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:50 pm

Um, it's not just a cartoon. :?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:07 am

Yeah, it's also a long line of movies and videogames.

Speaking of which, were the various Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z movies aired in theaters, or were any of them direct-to-video? If so, we should look on the bright side: whether Evolution is a complete failure or not (It is), there's still 17 true Dragon Ball movies that any true Dragon Ball fan would enjoy. This might just be karma's way of making sure we don't get too spoiled.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:12 am

"True" Dragon Ball fans? Thank god I'm not one of those.

And I believe Movie 6 had a theatrical release in various theaters across the U.S.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:12 am

Dr. Casey wrote:Yeah, it's also a long line of movies and videogames.

Speaking of which, were the various Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z movies aired in theaters, or were any of them direct-to-video? If so, we should look on the bright side: whether Evolution is a complete failure or not (It is), there's still 17 true Dragon Ball movies that any true Dragon Ball fan would enjoy. This might just be karma's way of making sure we don't get too spoiled.

I think its also karma's way of saying "hey, at least the entire series (aside from the first 13 episodes) was eventually released on dvd and is (for the most part) easily available, unlike other old school shows like Sailor Moon".

And Funi fixed some of their screw-ups from the first two seasons in those Season Sets, right? Bardock's no longer a brilliant scientist in the redub?

Also the manga's still readily available in English, unlike (and I don't mean to use the same example twice, but when I think Dragon Ball I think Weekday Toonami) Sailor Moon.

Not a fan of the "true fan" thing though. ^^; It's not like you need qualifications enjoy the show.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

omae no kaasan

Post by omae no kaasan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:20 am

That is funny because we both decided to stay away from certain things, you spoilers and as for myself most fan reviews thus I missed your statement.
Yeah, what do 'fans' know about that which they are fans of anyway?
I am glad that someone on here that has seen the movie has something positive to say.
So, you don't mind reading comments so long as they agree with what you think? :o

I dunno how you deal with 'em Mike. So glad I left that world.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:23 am

It's not that big of a deal, but it would be great to see a few more people say they didn't/don't like it because of something else besides "Wait a gosh darn second, THAT didn't happen!" Which seems to be the most favorable way of showing distaste for the film.

omae no kaasan

Post by omae no kaasan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:35 am

Which is exactly why I attempted to avoid it in the review.

Afterwards people asked questions and of course I'll delve into it when asked, but whether X or Y didn't happen, it doesn't matter so long as it's a respectable film.

But this isn't.

Just wait until you see how Bulma and Yamcha become an item. They go from hating each other to almost kissing in the time it takes them to walk down a set of stairs. It's laugh-out-loud terrible.

"But I liked it! The soundtrack is like Dark Knight times a bajillion and the cinematography is MIND-BLOWING!!!!! You have poopie pants omae no kaasan!"

I didn't say anything is wrong with what you like. Grow the fuck up. Seriously. But as a fan of film I know good cinema and bad cinema. And this is a glorified TV movie I'd expect from Sci-Fi Channel.

I'm not saying that's bad or anyone who likes that has poor taste, but it's a certain 'caliber' to be certain.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:49 am

Dr. Casey wrote:Yeah, it's also a long line of movies and videogames.

I guess I'm not a true fan then since most of the anime movies sucked balls.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:56 am

I love the way people in this thread are attacking omae simply because he's taken the time to give us his impressions of seeing the film early and answer questions. Sorry if the fact he's being honest in his replies ticks you all off. I can't get over the rudeness towards him I keep seeing in this discussion. Jeez. :roll:
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Yi Xing Long » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:02 am

After watching the 18 minutes of clips that were released in English, I have to say that I am rather excited about this movie now. I like to think of it as a "what if" scenario rather than an actual movie. Emmy Rossum makes a good Bulma in my opinion, and she is rather attractive too!
Last edited by Yi Xing Long on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:12 am

B wrote:"True" Dragon Ball fans? Thank god I'm not one of those.

And I believe Movie 6 had a theatrical release in various theaters across the U.S.
You are, B. You might be more openminded than I, but your heart is filled with love for all things Dragon Ball.

And I was referring to Japan right there. I think most of the DBZ movies might've seen a theatrical release, but I dunno about some of the more low-budget ones like Path to Power.
I guess I'm not a true fan then since most of the anime movies sucked balls.
Half your posts on Daizenshuu are related to Dragon Ball: Evolution. I think it's obvious you're not much of a true fan.