Nothing to gain from DBE?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Nothing to gain from DBE?

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:26 pm

Quite a few people say that there is nothing to gain from Dragon Ball Evolution, and I'm curious about what the reason is for that line of thought. From the very beginning, I believed that we have a lot to gain from the live action movie.

First things first though, I am indifferent to the movie. Yes I'm going to see it on it's opening night, but I am probably not going to enjoy it the way I would like to. I am very disappointed in the direction that the movie has gone. So, I'd like to think that my own opinion isn't fanboy nonsense.

But the way I see it is like this is that any sort of publicity for the franchise is a good thing. I mean, with Dragon Ball hitting the silver screen it becomes part of the mainstream once again. Former fans will see the name maybe even the movie and their dormant fandom may be awoken and they might turn to the original series.

I see this movie leading to an increase in sales of the mangas, the orange bricks, the video games, all kinds of stuff. And when sales increase and more money comes in. More things are produced.

With more video games, more releases, what isn't to gain?

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:31 pm

I really hope, that even if the movie isn't great, that we will get more DB merchandise, not necessarily movie related, just more stuff. I find it incredibly difficult to find any toys around my area. Maybe the movie will spring my local retailers to get off there ass and buy some damn DB figures.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Re: Nothing to gain from DBE?

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:32 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:With more video games, more releases, what isn't to gain?
Quality over quantity. Movie tie-ins are almost always poorly made (the US Street Fighter cartoon, nearly every video game related to a movie, etc) because they are rushed to capitalize on the movie's release. If the movie does have enough success to warrant any sort of new projects, you can rest assured that there's a high probability that they won't be worth your time.

-Corey

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:36 pm

Its not like there is this lack of Dragonball merchandice out there.
First things first though, I am indifferent to the movie. Yes I'm going to see it on it's opening night, but I am probably not going to enjoy it the way I would like to. I am very disappointed in the direction that the movie has gone. So, I'd like to think that my own opinion isn't fanboy nonsense.
Your dollars will tell them to continue in that direction. I had planned on downloading it but its not even worth my bandwidth.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:36 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:With more video games, more releases, what isn't to gain?
Quality over quantity. Movie tie-ins are almost always poorly made (the US Street Fighter cartoon, nearly every video game related to a movie, etc) because they are rushed to capitalize on the movie's release. If the movie does have enough success to warrant any sort of new projects, you can rest assured that there's a high probability that they won't be worth your time.

-Corey
I wasn't very clear on that. I don't mean movie-related releases. I meant that with the movie, knowledge of the original series will increase and so will sales of real merch.
Victator Supreme wrote:
Your dollars will tell them to continue in that direction. I had planned on downloading it but its not even worth my bandwidth.
Well, like I said, in hopes of an increase in sales of the franchise as a whole. And my movie ticket, yours too, is a drop in the bucket so I wouldn't worry to much about it.

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:39 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:I wasn't very clear on that. I don't mean movie-related releases. I meant that with the movie, knowledge of the original series will increase and so will sales of real merch.
Neither was I. While my focus was on movie-related releases, I did mean for the statement to expand to cover nearly anything that the movie acted as a catalyst for. While the movie may bring back "wayward fans" or the like, their attention is likely to be short-lived. Hence, anything that is marketed as a result of the movie will be done quickly and probably with shoddy results.

-Corey

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:00 pm

Victator Supreme wrote:Your dollars will tell them to continue in that direction. I had planned on downloading it but its not even worth my bandwidth.
God this 'don't go or they'll get money' thing is ridiculous.

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:01 pm

Bussani wrote:
Victator Supreme wrote:Your dollars will tell them to continue in that direction. I had planned on downloading it but its not even worth my bandwidth.
Err, it's what our economy is modeled on.

-Corey

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:11 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Bussani wrote:
Err, it's what our economy is modeled on.

-Corey
What I mean is it's ridiculous to refuse to go just because the producers of the movie will get money. If you don't want to see the movie, that's fine. But if you're curious, even though you know it's bad, then...what? You should illegally download it just so they don't get your money?

I'm going to go and I'm going to pay, and I'm probably going to enjoy myself even if it's the worst piece of crap I've ever seen (which will be hard, because I've seen some pretty bad crap). If they take my $10 and make another crappy movie...I don't even care. Hollywood always makes shitty movies.

Maybe I never should have paid for anything Dragon Ball related in the first place? Then this movie never would have been made, would it?

Edit: And you know what? We'd just have something else crappy in it's place.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:12 pm

If anything, I've gained much more knowledge of how a movie is created and what sorts of things go on behind the scenes all the way up to advertising and how delays and alterations can occur without warning. (The movie supposed to have been opened last August, the new scenes they supposedly shot...)

So yeah, I like to think I came away with some useful knowledge.

I don't think its gonna bring back Kabu or any of the other artists and writers whose work I enjoyed back in the day though; much as I'd like to hear from them again.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:34 pm

Nothing to gain from DBE? No, maybe not. But there sure isn't anything to lose, either.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:50 pm

Yes, I believe we gain something from DBE. We gain a new way of looking at Dragonball with a contemporary twist. I love Funimation’s version but after a while, you can only watch the Sagas or read the manga chapters so many times before you have to put them down and distract yourself with something else. The best thing I like about reimagined titles is that the new writers can correct the mistakes of the past or address certain issues from a completely different perspective. I also love the fact that the character designs are updated.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:01 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:We gain a new way of looking at Dragonball with a contemporary twist.
But we're getting that with Dragon Ball Kai.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:05 pm

Tsukento wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:We gain a new way of looking at Dragonball with a contemporary twist.
No, that's essentially the same story with a shiny coat of paint.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:06 pm

Tsukento wrote:
What if Dragon Ball Kai came about just because of DBE? Like how Japan made a new Godzilla movie after they saw how terrible the US version was.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:06 pm

Tsukento wrote:
How is that when it is the same old story with the same plot and same eventual outcome? No surprises, no new art work in the truest sense it is pretty much the same thing repackaged in a condensed form that is all bright and shiny.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:08 pm

Like how Japan made a new Godzilla movie after they saw how terrible the US version was.
That's not quite entirely true. Toei has a habit of retiring Godzilla then bringing him back when the time is right.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:10 pm

I still believe the odds of us getting Dragon Ball Kai would not be as high, had DBE not been made.

It might have been made, just not as soon.

But yeah, I'm probably wrong.

EDIT: Whoops, Bussani got in before me.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:11 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:
Like how Japan made a new Godzilla movie after they saw how terrible the US version was.
That's not quite entirely true. Toei has a habit of retiring Godzilla then bringing him back when the time is right.
You're right of course, it's just a rumor/something fans seem to assume. But it was just an example even if it isn't correct.

Edit: It is suspicious that Toei brought Godzilla back just a year after the US film.

Anyway, I was just playing Devil's Advocate really (which is why I said "what if"). DBKai came out for the 20th anniversary, so there's a good chance it would have done so even without DBE.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:17 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:No, that's essentially the same story with a shiny coat of paint.
While being made closer to the manga, new soundtrack, new opening, new ending and voices being redone.

It's being modernized in a way for today's generation.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]