Madman DB Fatpacks

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Madman DB Fatpacks

Post by Innagadadavida » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:49 pm

So I'm having a birthday soon, and I'm REAAALLY considering getting these sets. I was hesitant before because I wanted to wait for a remastered release. But due to recent word from Lionsgate, it seems like that won't be happening for a while. I just have a few questions.

1) Are the fatpacks still in print?

2a)Is the included movie Uncut?
2b)Is it the second or first dub group?
2c)Are there subtitles for the movie?

3)Are textless openings and closings included?

4) How uncut are the first 13 episodes' dub? Does Roshi still ask for a kiss? Does he still request to see Bulma's "belly button?"

5) What are the cases like? Are they thin or do they fold out?

6) What are some general thoughts from those who have them? Any suggestions or warnings?

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Re: Madman DB Fatpacks

Post by The Tori-bot » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:36 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:1) Are the fatpacks still in print?
As far as I know, yes.
No, ofr some reason it's still the hacked-up Ocean Group dub.
See above.
I think it's dub-only, so that'd be a no. I could be wrong, though.
Not as far as I know.
4) How uncut are the first 13 episodes' dub? Does Roshi still ask for a kiss? Does he still request to see Bulma's "belly button?"
As far as I know, it's mostly the same script as the Ocean version.
The first few printings were basically the normal 2-disc sets in a box, then it changed to one of those fat-cases with loads of hinges holding the discs.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:38 pm

Thank you, The Tori-bot, sir. Your help is much appreciated.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:24 pm

I have a question to add to this.

Where is the most reliable source to get these from? I have been on the fence of picking up at least the first box set, but Madman's own site says something like "May take up to three weeks to process" or something.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:34 pm

So I've been doing some research on these sets and I've notices a few complaints regarding quality. Some say that the sets were mastered poorly in their PAL format. So I have a few more (slightly technical) questions:

Is there noticeable quality difference when compared to the local NTSC releases?

If so what causes this loss in quality?

How would it look as a digital copy (like if I ripped the episodes to AVI format so that I could do AMVs or something)?

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:52 pm

As far as I know Inna, there is a bit of ghosting because of a poor conversion. But I don't actually own the set.

Anyway, don't know how much shipping costs, but they're on sale for about $40 us dollars here. http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/Product/ ... 2_DVD_Set)
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:15 am

The Tori-Bot already answered these pretty well, although I figured as someone who owns Madman's release of the series (albiet as the two disc sets), I could perhaps elaborate or confirm certain things.
Innagadadavida wrote:1) Are the fatpacks still in print?
Yes. They are, I see them in stores all the time.
It's the edited Ocean dub, no subtitles of any kind if I recall.
Well, the opening is textless on the episodes anyway, there is no textless ending though.
I think he may have asked for a kiss... Definately no mention of the belly button though. I know that the scene from episode 2 that's recycled in the Ocean dub of movie 1 has the same dialogue in the Funimation dub of the episode.
They're massively fat fatpacks. I can't elaborate much on this as I own the singles.
6) What are some general thoughts from those who have them? Any suggestions or warnings?
Pretty cool overall. I have no idea if they've fixed disc 1 of the Baba arc though. Instead of having dubtitles and subtitles, both subtitle tracks are identicle. Most have the Japanese translation, but one episode has dubtitles only.

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:16 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:5) What are the cases like? Are they thin or do they fold out?
A bunch of tray thingies. Which is similar to how we get the DBZ/GT season sets but there's a ton more of them to fit 10 discs.

About the thickness of two standard dvd cases stuck together.

$60 aud at Jb-Hifi? I payed close to $100 for the part 2 set >.<
You damn americans and your demand for these must be screwing around with the pricing.
I have the first four double sets, then I'm missing Commander Red and Baba, then the rest is the part 2. I'd have to buy 4 sets again to get what I'm missing. :evil:

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:23 am

I'm kinda disappointed its the Ocean dub. Has there only been the one Dragon Ball release with the Funimation dub?
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:39 am

Zuhalter2000 wrote:I'm kinda disappointed its the Ocean dub. Has there only been the one Dragon Ball release with the Funimation dub?
All the episodes are the uncut Funimation dub with Japanese audio track. The bonus movie is edited Ocean dub only.

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:53 am

SaiyamanMS wrote:
Zuhalter2000 wrote:I'm kinda disappointed its the Ocean dub. Has there only been the one Dragon Ball release with the Funimation dub?
All the episodes are the uncut Funimation dub with Japanese audio track. The bonus movie is edited Ocean dub only.
Ahhhh, alright. Thank you for the clarification, I misread the previous posts. I might be picking these up sometime in the near future.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:13 am

The Tori-bot wrote:
No, ofr some reason it's still the hacked-up Ocean Group dub.
The reason is that there's never been another dub of this movie. Since it's a hacked-up mess, it would also be impossible to include a Japanese language track, so it's dub-only.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:43 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:But due to recent word from Lionsgate, it seems like that won't be happening for a while.

What recent word was that? I tend to be an optimistic fool, and figured it was only a short matter of time.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:55 am

SSJ Helldog wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:But due to recent word from Lionsgate, it seems like that won't be happening for a while.

What recent word was that? I tend to be an optimistic fool, and figured it was only a short matter of time.
VegettoEX mentioned that there's something to say. Word from Lionsgate is not very descriptive or reassuring.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:53 pm

Well, I just ordered the first Madman set, because I own general blue to the end in funimation sets. So here's hoping it comes intact.

Also, I only paid US $61.00 for it, and that includes shipping. Hooray.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:07 pm

omegacwa wrote:Well, I just ordered the first Madman set, because I own general blue to the end in funimation sets. So here's hoping it comes intact.

Also, I only paid US $61.00 for it, and that includes shipping. Hooray.
Post what you think about it here after you get it, please. I'd really like to hear some general thoughts on it. If at all possible, could you post some screencaps too?

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:30 pm

We'll see. God knows how long it will take me to get it. Although the store I bought it from has a good costumer rating people often complained it took almost a month to get their stuff.

Also I am not sure how I am going to watch these yet, worse come to worse I will watch them on my PC (I use a mac currently which only allows one region choice) I do have a region free player lying around somewhere that I bought for another pal movie but I haven't used it since I got it and I am not entirely sure where it is now after cleaning my room out a few months ago.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:33 pm

There most certainly is a program that will let you unlock the region constraints on your Mac. I know for sure that there is for PC so if worse comes to worse, you could use a PC emulator.

ssjcj
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjcj » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:10 pm

I have both Madman fat-packs and my opinion on them is below:

VIDEO:
The quality isn't the best. The conversion (NTSC to PAL) gives a 'ghosting effect' where the frames combine. This is not apparent while watching however they are very noticable when its paused (shown below). It is certainly not unwatchable and if you don't care about that then it doesn't really matter.
Not my pic.

AUDIO:
The Japanese is in mono and the English is in stereo.

SUBTITLES:
There are two tracks one for the Jap version and the other one is for the English (sometimes known as dubtitles). There are no Japanese subtitles for one of the Baba episodes which is irritating.

EXTRAS:
There is the heavily edited first movie (no Jap track), old trailers and character profiles.

REGION:
You will need a multi-region DVD player or MaxDrive for the PS2 to play them. MaxDrive is only about £10 and is very easy to use and a multi-region DVD player costs minimum £30 (last I checked).

OVERALL:
I recommend these as its the cheapest way to get the series on DVD and there are no major problems in my view with the pack.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:00 pm

Regarding the picture (which turns out is mine), the 16:9 display there was what I had set on VLC at the time for no explainable reason; it is on the real set 4:3 in regular aspect ratio. Also, I had no de-interlace filter on VLC at the time either - so it might look a tiny bit better than that.

Just to clear things before this is mistaken.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]