What makes Dragonball “good”

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

What makes Dragonball “good”

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:46 pm

If someone were to ask you why you watch Dragonball (or read the manga), or why it is a good show/story, what would you say? What is it about Dragonball that keeps you interested, that makes you want to watch the next episode or read the next chapter? It is undeniable that Dragonball has an unexplainable charm to it, but really what is it about that charm that keeps you interested, and how would you explain it? Not only “why do you watch Dragonball”, but simply why is it a good show/story, period (in your opinion)?

If someone were to come up to you and ask you why you like Dragonball, what would you say?

Basically I’m just curious how you would explain what is great about the Dragonball series as a whole. I know that Dragonball often gets passed off as a child’s show simply because it is an animated series, but it truly is a masterpiece of a story; but how do you explain that in words (as apposed to the easy way, which is simply popping in some Dragon Box discs)?

I’ll pipe in with my own answer soon, but first I wanted to hear what you all have to say.

I know this is posed as a question, but I’m really looking at it as a topic that I’d like to discuss and here your opinions on, not something I expect a cut-and-dry answer for.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:58 pm

I will simply say one of the best tales ever told. Overall story is good. Kinda like superhero. There are some good lessons for us all Goku has set upon.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:00 pm

You will come for the action, but stay for the atmosphere.

By that I mean, the feel and flow of Dragon Ball's world is just endless fun. The spirit of adventure, not looking back, and protecting those dear to you is alive and well. Watching someone like Goku go through a number of bizarre and interesting journeys and in the end, not really change at all, but instead shape and mold everyone else around him is touching. Completely hopeless moments turned around through sheer willpower and determination. That is what makes Dragon Ball great.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:09 pm

Yeah that. However, I had an experience. I didn't tell him why DBZ was so great. All I did was to put dvd in the machine and started playing. He was not semi-interested in DBZ at first but the more time he watched DBZ, the more he likes to watch DBZ. I first introduced Gohan vs Cell to him. He didn't understand at first and asked me why this and that. So I asked him if he'd liked to watch remastered Season One, he was excited and hyped about it. So, to this day, he loves it. He only watched Season 1 to 7 in a few monthsand he already knows a lot about DBZ.^^
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:10 pm

I come for the action-adventure and stay for the fun, likable characters. :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:10 pm

The action, most of the characters... some of the story is good, etc.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What makes Dragonball “good”

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:12 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:I know that Dragonball often gets passed off as a child’s show simply because it is an animated series
Well, it may also be passed over as a childrens' show becasue that's what it is

I like Dragon Ball because it feels like a martial arts film, and the characters are likable. And I like Toriyama's humor. :D

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:13 pm

I believe the first things that drew me to the series (Z) were the unconventional plot devices. The main character kicked the bucket in the beginning of the series! His arch nemesis is left to train his son! Making enemies into friends.

It also had action on a level unlike anything I had ever seen. The part when Yamcha is fighting the Saibaman and Piccolo explains to Gohan that they're moving faster than the untrained eye can perceive always sticks out in my mind.

A large, well developed cast of characters. A world so unlike our own that feels perfectly natural. A clean art style very distinct from most other anime.

And another biggie: a story that spans an entire lifetime. Watching Goku and his friends and family grow up makes DB epic.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:20 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:I know that Dragonball often gets passed off as a child’s show simply because it is an animated series
Yeah, and that is to be expected. But when a show that has a story as deep and intricate as Dragonball, and in overall scale is much larger than pretty much all of the primetime network shows these days, is passed off and disregarded merely because of the format it was created in is when I roll my eyes.

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:22 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
Yeah, and that is to be expected. But when a show that has a story as deep and intricate as Dragonball, and in overall scale is much larger than pretty much all of the primetime network shows these days, is passed off and disregarded for the format in which it was created is when I roll my eyes.
...I can hardly see Dragonball's story as deep or intricate.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:28 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote: Well, it may also be passed over as a childrens' show becasue that's what it is
Yeah, and that is to be expected. But when a show that has a story as deep and intricate as Dragonball, and in overall scale is much larger than pretty much all of the primetime network shows these days, is passed off and disregarded for the format in which it was created is when I roll my eyes.
...I can hardly see Dragonball's story as deep or intricate.
Alright, "deep" isn't really the best word, but the story is definitely very intricate. A story that covers 520 manga chapters, 21 (extensive) guidebooks, 508 20 min. episodes, 25+ full-length features and has sooooo many characters and sooooo much info on each character, place, attack, etc. is definitely "intricate" in my books.

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:32 pm

But that's nothing really special. It's going to happen if you have a story that changes from episode to episode. It's not exactly intricate.

I'd also say that the movies don't contribute to the story, a good number of the episodes don't contribute to the story, and the guidebooks are just number and fact lists for nerds.

jordand

Post by jordand » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:24 pm

While re-watching the series, I had came to the conclusion that the reason I love this series so much is the fact that you actually watch Goku's life unfold right in front of you. You watch him meet his best friends, watch him get married, etc. But most importantly you watch him grow. And not only Goku but everyone. You really feel like your apart of this for some reason.

I remember this came to me towards the end when you hear Krillin ( or anyone) mention the "glory days" you really feel for them because you know there not in the shape that they once were. It's like looking back on your own life and thinking man those were the days. I hope you guys understand what I mean by all that.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:41 pm

I'd say it has a great deal of charm, and its main character is one of the most lovable I've ever seen. It's a show/manga that prides itself on being fun, rather than too deep and meaningful, which makes it a very accessable series overall.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:08 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:It's a show/manga that prides itself on being fun, rather than too deep and meaningful
This right here. Dragonball is big dumb goofy fun. It doesn't have its head stuck up its ass like Evangelion, and it doesn't try to have some grim 'n' gritty message like modern superhero comics.

Sometimes you just want to see good guys beating the stuffing out of bad guys.

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:11 pm

I was drawn into it simply by the craziness of the Dragonball world. I mean you have dinosaurs and fururistic technology coexisting, and a whacked out afterlife with snake roads and mini planets. Everything about it just seems so imaginative compared to a lot of manga, and that world just kept on expanding. That would probably be my biggest reason.

Big reason number 2: Toriyama is a crazy amazing artist. I don't know if I've ever seen a comic communicate action scenes as well as in Dragonball, at least before shit started getting too ridiculous. Not to mention the overall styling, it's fantastic in that it's humorous and charming, but at the same time very bold and dynamic. Everything I aspire to as an artist.

Big reason number 3: Great characters that don't annoy the crap out of me. Except for maybe Gokuh, the characters in Dragonball are fairly normal and relatable without being boring. I see too many shows where the characters are quirky to the point of being unrealistic and irritating, or just idealized pieces of anime @!#*&^. There's also an added level of attachment you develop towards the DB characters because we watch them go through life, growing as fighters and as people. You get to know them so well, they're like as close to friends as cartoon characters can possibly get.

Big reason number- okay, this is getting long. There are a million reasons Dragonball is good.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:21 pm

B wrote:You will come for the action, but stay for the atmosphere
I couldn't have said it any better. The action was the draw when I was a kid. I now have a greater appreciation of the non-fighting scenes than I did as a kid.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:25 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:Alright, "deep" isn't really the best word, but the story is definitely very intricate. A story that covers 520 manga chapters, 21 (extensive) guidebooks, 508 20 min. episodes, 25+ full-length features and has sooooo many characters and sooooo much info on each character, place, attack, etc. is definitely "intricate" in my books.
Nah... It's just long.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:30 pm

It is no secret that I like Dragonball because of the way Funimation marketed the franchise, it came across as something that I was familiar with but different at the same time. In addition, my father and I watched the show together the last few years of his life before he died of lung cancer. There are many memories wrapped up in the series especially the Z portion, my father loved Cell.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:It is no secret that I like Dragonball because of the way Funimation marketed the franchise, it came across as something that I was familiar with but different at the same time. In addition, my father and I watched the show together the last few years of his life before he died of lung cancer. There are many memories wrapped up the series especially the Z portion, my father loved Cell.
Wow that sucks, sorry to hear that.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.