Right now GT doesn't look that bad

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Right now GT doesn't look that bad

Post by Senzu_Bean » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:54 pm

I was wondering one of the reasons I and probably most people dislike DBGT is because it is too damn short compared to DB and DBZ. However now comparing it with DB Kai it does not look that short. Kai is probably going to be around 100 episodes and I can imagine DB being around 50 or 60 episodes if it got the same treatment as Kai, which is somewhat shorter than GT.

After watch Kai I can probably watch GT without fell it is too rushed though the low quality will still be present.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:30 pm

It's too long, if you ask me. Quality over quantity.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Re: Right now GT doesn't look that bad

Post by SSJ Helldog » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:51 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote:I was wondering one of the reasons I and probably most people dislike DBGT is because it is too damn short compared to DB and DBZ.
That's not a reason I've ever heard mentioned for the dislike of GT.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:55 pm

SSJ Helldog wrote:
Senzu_Bean wrote:I was wondering one of the reasons I and probably most people dislike DBGT is because it is too damn short compared to DB and DBZ.
Is not? Everybody bash the Super #17 "saga" for been ridiculous short.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:10 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote:
SSJ Helldog wrote:
People bash the Super 17 saga for being ridiculous.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:18 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:
Senzu_Bean wrote:
SSJ Helldog wrote: That's not a reason I've ever heard mentioned for the dislike of GT.
People bash the Super 17 saga for being ridiculous.
You know, it's funny. I always liked the Super 17 saga because it's short. Yeah, maybe it's a little ridiculous, but it felt like a 2 hour movie chopped up into 6 episodes. Although that's probably because I watched GT via Funimation's single disc releases, and both Super 17 discs came out on the same day, so in a 2 hour GT viewing session, I was able to watch the whole thing from beginning to end. But still, I enjoy the Super 17 saga.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:21 pm

I'm feeling a little bit uncomfortable right now. :P

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:56 pm

Being short is the least of GT's problems, in the eyes of most people. The Super 17 saga didn't make much sense. There are lots of inconsistencies with battle powers of characters (if you want to call it that). Basically someone at SSJ won't be able to do something, but then Goku will come along at base and do it. Are we really meant to believe he's that strong compared to everyone else? And it's not just Goku, everything's all over the place. No one gets any screen time but Goku, too. Uub gets all powerful and that lasts for, what, less than an episode?

I don't mind GT, though. I'll rewatch it when the DVDs come out here. I haven't seen it in Japanese for nearly a decade.

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:57 pm

I can easily pick out one thing that I love the Super 17 arc for.

RETURN OF SAIYAGIRL!
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:35 pm

Not to mention Goku is too smart a fighter to not keep powering #17 up for that long. :P

He doesn't throw punches, he just throws ki blasts the whole dang time. It's kind of irritating to watch.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:41 pm

I really disliked GT but the Super 17 stuff was some of my favorite from it.

But yeah, I am glad that GT is relatively short. 64 episodes of that was painful enough. Its upsetting how badly they managed to screw things up.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:44 pm

Honestly, Dragon Ball GT isn't that bad. If Evolution is Dragon Ball with the ebola virus, then GT is Dragon Ball with a minor case of the flu. I think Toei put together a respectable little series, and there's a lot of things I appreciate about the show. And even though this point has been driven into the ground ad nauseum, the ending is much better than Toriyama's own. I was glad to see Shenron come across as something genuinely impressive and legendary for the first time since... I dunno, he kinda lost something around his third summoning in the Piccolo Daimao arc (Besides his life, I mean).

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:46 pm

Dr. Casey wrote:If Evolution is Dragon Ball with the ebola virus, then GT is Dragon Ball with a minor case of the flu.
Smallpox's instead of Flu and well call it even :wink:

They basically did EVERYTHING wrong with GT. It was a train wreck.
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:50 pm

Zuhalter2000 wrote:
Dr. Casey wrote:If Evolution is Dragon Ball with the ebola virus, then GT is Dragon Ball with a minor case of the flu.

That's exaggerating. GT had some good ideas. They were just poorly executed most of the time. And like Dr. Casey said, the ending was good.

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:52 pm

Bussani wrote:
Zuhalter2000 wrote:

That's exaggerating. GT had some good ideas. They were just poorly executed most of the time. And like Dr. Casey said, the ending was good.
I do tend to exaggerated :lol:

Their execution was pathetic, in my opinion. GT has so much potential.

I personally wasn't a fan of the ending. I kinda liked Toriyama's Goku-riding-off-into-the-sunset sort of ending (if that makes any sense :lol: ).

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:31 pm

Zuhalter2000 wrote:I personally wasn't a fan of the ending. I kinda liked Toriyama's Goku-riding-off-into-the-sunset sort of ending (if that makes any sense :lol: ).
You mean the "fifty year old man abandons his family to move in with a ten year old boy" ending?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:39 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Zuhalter2000 wrote:I personally wasn't a fan of the ending. I kinda liked Toriyama's Goku-riding-off-into-the-sunset sort of ending (if that makes any sense :lol: ).
You mean the "fifty year old man abandons his family to move in with a ten year old boy" ending?
He's forty-seven, I'll have you know!! :lol:
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:43 pm

Forty-seven year old man leaves his adult sons and overbearing wife to train someone to protect the Earth.

Funny how Gohan was a jerk for choosing normality over training, but Goku is a jerk for choosing training over normality.
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:46 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:Forty-seven year old man leaves his adult sons and overbearing wife to train someone to protect the Earth.
She's really not so bad in the manga, is she? I've never read it in full, but I think it's the anime where she was psycho'd up.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:48 pm

Dr. Casey wrote:
Kingdom Heartless wrote:Forty-seven year old man leaves his adult sons and overbearing wife to train someone to protect the Earth.
She's really not so bad in the manga, is she? I've never read it in full, but I think it's the anime where she was psycho'd up.
Yeah, I don't think she's as bad in the manga... but oh well. He only married her in the first place because he felt obliged to. He did his time. :P