Kai Episode 3 (19 April 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:23 am

Whew!! I sat and read through this entire thread from beginning to end so I could at least get something out without repeating someone else. Not to belittle all the other posts, it was awesome to hear everyone's thoughts!!

I think a couple of the big problems with the new drawings are shading and line quality. If the shading had a bit higher of a contrast than the base color, we'd be getting a lot more depth.

If there were varying line thicknesses, it would also look much more authentic and less like a straight up tracing with one pen tool. Maybe since they are using digital tablets, pressure sensitivity would be a solution?

Then again, I don't know what the animators are allowed to do. Wasted Wisher, is it possible to try and get at least your scenes and frames drawn with differing line thickness or turn on pressure sensitivity? It really would make everything look much better and blend nicer.

Thanks for hearing me out, guys!!
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:24 pm

Hearing the audio differences between Z and Kai, I noticed that in Z, Nappa is more polite towards Vegeta than in the corresponding Kai episode. I just thought that was interesting.

Maybe they don't want the audience to know who's the leader of the two right away.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:50 pm

alakazam^ wrote:Hearing the audio differences between Z and Kai, I noticed that in Z, Nappa is more polite towards Vegeta than in the corresponding Kai episode. I just thought that was interesting.
Whenever I listen to audio comparisons, all that I can notice is the huge difference in the quality and clearity of the audio. DBZ never sounded too bad on its own, but Kai's stereo audio is simply amazing!

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:06 pm

alakazam^ wrote:Hearing the audio differences between Z and Kai, I noticed that in Z, Nappa is more polite towards Vegeta than in the corresponding Kai episode. I just thought that was interesting.

Maybe they don't want the audience to know who's the leader of the two right away.
If that were their intention, then they really screwed up with the opening theme song.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:26 am

When I was going through the Kai audio, I found that the bit rate was 128 kbps and running on 48000 Hz. I think the regular figures are less than that, which shows you that Kai has pretty nice quality.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Wasted Wisher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Wasted Wisher » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:23 am

Haseowolf wrote:Whew!! I sat and read through this entire thread from beginning to end so I could at least get something out without repeating someone else. Not to belittle all the other posts, it was awesome to hear everyone's thoughts!!

I think a couple of the big problems with the new drawings are shading and line quality. If the shading had a bit higher of a contrast than the base color, we'd be getting a lot more depth.

If there were varying line thicknesses, it would also look much more authentic and less like a straight up tracing with one pen tool. Maybe since they are using digital tablets, pressure sensitivity would be a solution?

Then again, I don't know what the animators are allowed to do. Wasted Wisher, is it possible to try and get at least your scenes and frames drawn with differing line thickness or turn on pressure sensitivity? It really would make everything look much better and blend nicer.

Thanks for hearing me out, guys!!

The problem with the Stylos software is that on its default setting, all the lines are pretty much the same thickness. I've tried drawing the scenes with the pen-pressure sensitivity settings on, but they're actually a poor substitute for the real line weights you get with actual pencil-and-paper drawings, and definitely much harder to control than a real pencil, so in the end they're just not worth the effort. You'll usually end up spending more than twice the time just to go back over and fix the lines you already drew. So usually artists like myself just stick to one line thickness setting and just draw certain areas with double-lines to match the thick-and thin lines of the original drawings as closely as possible.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:09 pm

Forgotten Hero wrote:When I was going through the Kai audio, I found that the bit rate was 128 kbps and running on 48000 Hz. I think the regular figures are less than that, which shows you that Kai has pretty nice quality.
You realize that's just the setting the people encoding the series are using, right? It's not indicative of the quality of the actual masters.

-Corey

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:23 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Forgotten Hero wrote:When I was going through the Kai audio, I found that the bit rate was 128 kbps and running on 48000 Hz. I think the regular figures are less than that, which shows you that Kai has pretty nice quality.
You realize that's just the setting the people encoding the series are using, right? It's not indicative of the quality of the actual masters.

-Corey
I realize now XD
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Wed May 13, 2009 5:28 pm

I hope they fix Nappa in the DVD release, they had the opportunity to fix him but they even kept the wrong color in the new shots :/

This is how it should have looked:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2lizn12.jpg

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Thu May 14, 2009 8:57 pm

Is this the only episode with terrible frame redrawing? I mean, the episode was all right, pacing was a little too quick, but the new frames stuck out. I noticed that more than the censorship that everyone was fretting about.

But good stuff =)