Just some Kai Thoughts

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Just some Kai Thoughts

Post by Big Momma » Sat May 16, 2009 3:10 am

Didn't know if I should put this here or in the Kai section. Just move it if it is in the wrong spot.

Anyway, I'm looking through some Kai episodes, and I got to thinking. What if, while airing Kai, they were to release some DragonBall Kai movies? Perhaps they could re-animate some older ones, maybe adding in more scenes/etc. so the length could fit today's theatrical standards. Maybe re-animating storylines? Maybe some new plots for the occasion?

What are your thoughts?
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Sat May 16, 2009 3:22 am

The main reason I'm so pumped up that DBKai came out, is because I was hoping that it would bring out enough popularity and such to have Toei make all-new movies too. Maybe like last time.. a movie during the Freeza saga, a movie during the Cell saga and one during the Buu saga, or whatever. I mean, bring out another alien/demon/long-lost saiyan or whatever. I wanna see it. :)

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sat May 16, 2009 3:28 am

I think that the whole point of Kai is to introduce a brand new Japanese generation to Dragonball. If it takes off I don't see why they wouldn't go and make more movies. The possibility of newly-animated theatrical features stemming from the airing of Dragonball Kai is probably the most exciting part of it all.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sat May 16, 2009 7:57 am

I kind of hope not, really. The hit-miss ratio for the Toei DB movies, in my opinion, is pretty bad. Couple that with the liklihood that a new movie would have this new score that I'm ambivalent at best about, and I'm not too optimistic for the chances.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat May 16, 2009 8:15 am

I love when Toei gives us new Dragon Ball animation, so I'd certainly be excited about a movie, whether it was good or bad.

The Jump Special was good, anyway, so you never know.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Re: Just some Kai Thoughts

Post by Olivier Hague » Sat May 16, 2009 8:34 am

Big Momma wrote:What if, while airing Kai, they were to release some DragonBall Kai movies? Perhaps they could re-animate some older ones, maybe adding in more scenes/etc. so the length could fit today's theatrical standards.
But... those standards haven't changed.
(and the movies are long enough already, thank you very much!)

Saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyan » Sat May 16, 2009 9:55 am

Well, the One Piece movies have been bumped up to about an hour and a half, so I think he meant adding a bunch of scenes to the movies to make 50 minutes turn to about 90, which has to be pretty crazy to do.

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Re: Just some Kai Thoughts

Post by SSJ Helldog » Sat May 16, 2009 10:21 am

Big Momma wrote:Perhaps they could re-animate some older ones, maybe adding in more scenes/etc. so the length could fit today's theatrical standards. Maybe re-animating storylines? Maybe some new plots for the occasion?

I don't know about lengthening the current movies. They'd have to do complete overhauls. Those plots were already stretched thin at under an hour.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat May 16, 2009 11:52 am

Saiyan wrote:Well, the One Piece movies have been bumped up to about an hour and a half, so I think he meant adding a bunch of scenes to the movies to make 50 minutes turn to about 90, which has to be pretty crazy to do.
That's more along the lines of what I meant.

Maybe not making older movies stretch out to 90 minutes, but I would certainly like some new movies that were that length. I'm just saying not many people nowadays(at least not where I live) would pay full theatre price for a movie that's barely an hour long.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog