"Advance Adventure" - Description Needed

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

"Advance Adventure" - Description Needed

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:49 pm

Could someone who's played Advance Adventure write up a short description for me? Types of play modes, types of gameplay, few of the characters playable, etc.

Maybe even a screen-shot or two...?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:32 pm

Uhm, I think my english skills aren't enough for this, but I made a video:

http://www.fandub.de/membersuff/timo/dbaa.wmv

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Here ya go.

Post by B-kun » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:34 pm

Dragon Ball: Advance Adventure is a sidescrolling game for the Gameboy Advance featuring Goku and Kuririn. It progresses through the story of Dragon Ball, starting from Mt. Paozu to the battle against Piccolo Daimaou – sadly, it doesn’t cover the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai, but that always leaves room for a sequel of sorts.

For super attacks, they both have the Kamehameha, which has 4 different charges that you collect through the game (on the 4th blast, the seiyuu even yells the attack name!). Goku also spins his nyoibo when you press the L button, and Kuririn uses Taiyou-ken, blinding the opponent.

There’s also a Tournament mode with characters such as Piccolo Daimaou, Jackie Chun, Tenshinhan, and others, along with a feature involving the GBA game link cable – unfortunately, I don’t know enough Japanese to know what it is.

Hope it's good enough.

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:46 pm

There are four play modes:

Story Mode: You can beat it with Goku and Kuririn, although Kuririn doesn't have any.. well, story. Cut-scenes, I mean.
There, you have basically five types of gameplay:
1. Normal beat-em-up stages.
2. Normal beat-em-up bosses.
3. Tournament bosses, where the game changes to a more fighterish system. It isn't too deep, but looks nice and captures the spirit of DB.
4. Flying breat-em-up stages. They're like normal beat-em-up stages, only with Kintoun!
5. Mini games. I've only seen two, one where you destroy rocks as a part of training, and one that requires you to catch Karin with the Holy Water flask.

Tournament Mode: Where you fight CPU or a friend in a fighting game style. The characters available are: Goku, Kuririn, Jackie Chun, Tao Pai Pai, Son Gohan (Goku's grandfather), Tenshinhan, Piccolo Daimao, Cyborg Tao Pai Pai. There's also a Survival Mode.

Extra Mode: Where you replay chosem stages from Story Mode and unlock previously unavailable goodies. After collection all seven Dragon Balls, you can also replay some of those stages with other characters, even the most obscure. The ones I have are: Namu, Tenshinhan, Chiaozu, and Akkuman (yes!), but there are obviously more.

Mini Game Mode: Self-explanatory. Aside form the two mini-games from Story Mode there's supposedly a Boss Rush Mode, but I haven't unlocked it yet.

No, the Dr Slump crossover isn't there.
No, there aren't any FMV's.
No, there are no "what ifs".

Overall, the game is very fun. Pretty short, true, but there's lots of unlockable stuff. Also, the graphics are great, and the animation is very fluid, but I guess you already know that form the videos. Sound? The characters could use some more sound bits, but the music is nice, aside form the usual "Makafushi Adventure" remix, you can also hear "Mezase Tenkaichi" in tournament fights and that... that... that Red Ribbon song in RR stages. Not the "Soldier! Red Ribbon!", the other one.

But the one thing that I really like is Dimps' attention to detail. None of that Budokai "20-something characters, and they still play the same!" crap, apparently Dimps can make a really polished game, without Atari nagging them. Son Gohan has his distinct fighting style, you can do Fusenko with Kuririn, deflect bullets with Goku's Nyoibo or kick enemy's missiles back. Toriyama's first series finally get the respect they deserve, it's really interesting to see how characters like General Blue or Jackie Chun were brought to the video game world. Even though it has few shortcomings (some minor fights were omitted, like General Silver, Panputto (Goku fights Chaozu instead), or the mummy guy), it's still a fun and solid game.
It's party time, Ginyu style!

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: Here ya go.

Post by Adamant » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:16 am

B-kun wrote:For super attacks, they both have the Kamehameha, which has 4 different charges that you collect through the game (on the 4th blast, the seiyuu even yells the attack name!). Goku also spins his nyoibo when you press the L button, and Kuririn uses Taiyou-ken, blinding the opponent.
Goku also has a desperation attack, which is activated by pressing L and R at the same time. It does a huge amount of damage to a single foe, but it reduces the ki meter just like the Nyoibou spin attack. Very useful on bosses.

It's all described in the manual.

Oh, and as for Kuririn (or Klilyn, as the game call him), he also has a super jump (press A and up) and a double jump (press A while in the air, only works if you did a normal jump). This enables him to reach a lot of secret areas Goku is unable to visit.

Oh, and you can unlock a lot of characters to play as. I only found Kuririn, though. (To unlock Kuririn, fall down the first hole on stage 1-2. Yes, it will kill you, but you'll still get Kuririn.)

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:53 am

Did anyone notice how horrible the English is in this game?
Gok.ou
Klilyn
Juckie Chun

Hahaha :lol:
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:48 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Did anyone notice how horrible the English is in this game?
Gok.ou
Klilyn
Juckie Chun

Hahaha :lol:
There's also "Chaoz".

The others are fairly correct, though:

Giran, Nam, Taopaipai, Tenshinhan and Piccolo.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:13 pm

I actually see Gokou and Klilyn used very frequently in the Japanese games. Check the Ultimate Battle 22 manual.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:23 pm

How did you get past the "Gok0u - Goku" filter?
Where's the beef?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:38 pm

Wondered myself... so I looked at the code... Mizugi broke up the word by putting in italics in the middle of the name, but putting nothing IN italics :P. So it looks like this:

Gok[i][/i]ou

How clever! ^_~
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:11 pm

Ah, I just noticed. The following spellings are used:

JUCKIE-CHUN
SON-GOHAN

Yes, that damned german hyphen is back to terrorize us all.

BTW, how do you unlock Daimaou in tournament mode? And is it possible to unlock Namu, Giran, Chaozu and Cyborg Tao Bai Bai as well?

Oh, and since noone has posted this yet.
The game has some badass instrumental remixes of the following songs:

Makafushigi Adventure (title screen)
Mezase Tenkaichi (Battle with Jackie Chun and Tenshinhan)
Romantic Ageru Yo (ending)

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:57 pm

Mizugi wrote:I actually see Gokou and Klilyn used very frequently in the Japanese games. Check the Ultimate Battle 22 manual.
Yeah, but don't the Japanese people notice that there is a double symbol in Kuririn, the "riri"? So it should at least be "Klilin"

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:20 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Wondered myself... so I looked at the code... Mizugi broke up the word by putting in italics in the middle of the name, but putting nothing IN italics :P. So it looks like this:

Gokou

How clever! ^_~
I'm a moderator at another phpBB forum, so I know the tricks. ;)

Anyway, since you need to have a vowel sound in between the consonant sounds in Japanese, it's SPELLED Kuririn, but could be Romanized to Klilyn pretty easily. I don't know why they chose a "y" instead of an "i", but what're you gonna do.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:37 pm

Yeah, but since they know that there is the double "ri" in it, it should be "Klylyn" or something.