Kai Episode 14 (05 July 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:41 pm

How could you catch all of them back then, when there are still new ones being revealed today. :wink:

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:43 pm

Big Boss wrote:How could you catch all of them back then, when there are still new ones being revealed today. :wink:
Generation 3 and 4 doesn't count seeing as how they suck.

(See Undercooked Sausage it's them not me...I tried but I'm not made of steel. ) :lol:
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:52 pm

Pokemon frustrates me as a video game franchise as it's well into it's second decade of existence but it's gameplay evolution and development has been extremely lazy, still using an archaic, slow-paced, battle system that was already dated when Red/Blue came out. The franchise has been in America for Eleven years. In eleven years, The Mario franchise went from Super Mario Bros to Super Mario 64, Zelda went from Zelda to Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear became Metal Gear Solid, etc etc

All of these franchises continuously updated themselves with time and yet Pokemon has frustratingly stayed the same because the series has never had any problems selling millions of copies because, admittedly, the initial concept is brilliant, fun, and addicting. However, from a design standpoint, I can't think of a franchise that disgusts me more.

I understand that it's primarily a handheld franchise but rudimentary upgrades like a day/night system, breeding and (occasionally) being able to use *gasp* more than ONE pokemon are just shit-flavored cherries on a diarrhea sundae.

Basically any generation past Red/Blue doesn't exist to me, Though I did own Gold for about a week before I lost it(along with my pokemon pikachu, which I'm pretty sure is sitting in a U-Haul in Chicago).

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:57 pm

It has an RPG battle system. You don't need a revolutionary update with every new game. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. :roll:

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:11 pm

Most modern-day RPGs don't still play like Final Fantasy IV or Planescape: Torment unless they're intentionally nostalgic. I'm saying Pokemon is broken and should be fixed. The fact that it worked in 1998 doesn't mean it still works in 2009. I want a new gameplay experience. It's not really just Pokemon though, JRPG's in general have really shown a lack of ingenuity and innovation in the last decade.

and it's not just the gameplay system, the script, character design, graphics have all been rudimentary stuff since the series debut.

Blah blah blah...fuck you guys, I can't believe I just wrote this much on Pokemon, please don't respond to this post.

So how about that Piccolo?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:16 pm

It's still making millions and evolving in it's own way. The battle system and raising of Pokémon have seen pretty deep evolutions. Just check out sites like Serebii and see if you can understand half the crap they're talking about with IVs, EVs, etc.

The Pokémon games are games you can basically play one handed. I've spent my fair share of trips to the commisary pushing a cart while playing through a Pokémon game.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:30 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:As for the southern accent I had Hank Hill on my mind because of mother fucking Metalwario's avatar.

That is all I tell ya what.
Oh God, I almost laughed my way into my dang ol' grave right there! :lol: Glad to see I made a difference! 8)
Undercooked Sausage wrote:I understand that it's primarily a handheld franchise but rudimentary upgrades like a day/night system, breeding and (occasionally) being able to use *gasp* more than ONE pokemon are just shit-flavored cherries on a diarrhea sundae.
AVGN much? :)
NeptuneKai wrote:Generation 3 and 4 doesn't count seeing as how they suck.
Eh, 3 was okay to me at least. I liked it more than the second generation. I loved the music (we are talking about the games here aren't we?) and that dang ol' Battle Frontier (at least in Emerald...) I kind of wish the battle graphics had been expounded upon though, I mean sure graphics aren't the most important thing in the world, but when you are against a white background... eh, it kinda leaves something to be desired...

4 was unbearable though... The music was weird, and their heads were huge! And friggin' Chimchar man! The graphics hurt my eyes as well due to the faux-3d used... makes me not happy for Heart Gold and Soul Silver!:( (and what's next?... Mind Crystal?:lol:)

Hank is sad!

Now, hows about that Dragon Ball Kai?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

MaJamie

Post by MaJamie » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:58 am

JulieYBM wrote:It's still making millions and evolving in it's own way. The battle system and raising of Pokémon have seen pretty deep evolutions. Just check out sites like Serebii and see if you can understand half the crap they're talking about with IVs, EVs, etc.
Or read through this crap. It's ridiculous. The battling system isn't really outdated, and even the parts that have been around since the beginning are apparently working really well since they're re-releasing all sorts of old games and people are completely creaming over the news. Nintendo has a damn good marketer behind the Pokemon franchise.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:04 am

MaJamie wrote:Nintendo has a damn good marketer behind the Pokemon franchise.
Or, hell in general! I mean, they are able to re-re-re-release individual Game & Watch titles... Titles that have already been included on the massive Game & Watch Galleries on the Game Boy through Advance. They somehow make a profit, even though the customer is getting royally ripped off.

I'm sorry, but I cannot justify these Game & Watch collections on the DS/i, that don't even contain any Game & Watches that have not already been re-released! I mean, the "Game & Watch Collection" on the DS is somehow less impressive than the original Game & Watch Gallery on the original Game Boy!

I am disappointed that the chances of Game & Watch Gallery 5 have went out the window in favor of individual re-re-re-releases of titles that we have already seen re-released at least once or twice...

...Now, hows about some Dragon Ball Kai?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:18 am

I'm probably coming off as extremely ignorant since I never cared much for playing Pokemon competitively and looking into it's metagame. PvP i will relent that yeah, the hardcore have really made a science out of it. But the single-player quest has always left a lot to be desired for me.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:56 am

Topic, folks. Let's not have to lock an episode discussion thread.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::