Am I the only one?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:17 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:I like romance genre anime. I guess that's because I'm a guy :)
I hate the romance genre anime. I guess that's because I'm a guy :)
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:25 am

Freeza Heika wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:I like romance genre anime. I guess that's because I'm a guy :)
I hate the romance genre anime. I guess that's because I'm a guy :)
I sense sarcasm. :D
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Milton
Patreon Supporter

Post by Milton » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:49 am

Boy, this sounds about right when it comes to me.

My anime fandom dropped off about two years ago. This was after close to 13 years of being a fan. It started with edited, dubbed TV shows, progressed to uncut, dubbed movies (particularly Ghost in the Shell and Roujin Z), then went to uncut, subtitled fansubs, and finally leveled out with the introduction of DVD. During this period, nothing could possibly be too odd or too poorly animated to keep me from saying how "superior" anime was. This was also my time of swearing off Disney entirely; laugh if you want, but chances are good that there are some of you out there who had the same thing going on.

The thing that's turned me off about anime in general is a lack of quality. In the two years since I've stopped watching new programs, I haven't seen or heard of one thing that sounded either original or remotely interesting to me. What I see instead is a lot of names being tossed around with no consideration for what is being PRODUCED by said names. The best example is Gonzo; I loved Gonzo mostly for Hellsing, but also for Blue Submarine No. 6. After those shows (among others) became popular here in America, their name alone started to signify greatness. Funimation entered their partnership with Gonzo, and suddenly we're met with an onslaught of Gonzo titles. It doesn't matter if they're good or if they're bad...they're released anyway, because they're Gonzo productions. Which brings me to my next turn off with the industry today...

Oversaturation.

There was a time when I could walk into a Suncoast or Strawberries and see a shelf of anime looking back at me. The shelf would be full, but not from a diverse section of titles. It would be rows and rows of volumes of titles. Random volumes of Tenchi Muyo, maybe of Street Fighter V or the occasional ADV boobfest (until Evangelion became their bread and butter). Now, if I walk into an FYE or Best Buy and browse their anime section, I'm inundated with things. Single volumes, single volumes with boxes, single volumes with boxes and figures, single volumes with figures, box sets, box sets with figures, etc. The problem with this situation is I never know what to buy. Do I splurge on the first volume of a show that comes with the box to house the rest of the volumes, when I've never seen an episode of said show and have no idea if it's good or not? Or do I buy volume 1 by itself, and run the risk of actually liking the show and wanting to buy the rest of it, but have no super-cool box to store it in? And where am I going to find the money to pony up for a $50+ box with one DVD in it?

Not only that, but the titles that are/were being licensed were so bland or obscure that it just came off as glutenous. Seriously, did we really need to see a release of Gatchaman in separate volumes, which came in separate releases themselves? If it was so necessary to release such an older series, wouldn't it make more sense to just release a complete series box set? I'd make the same point for newer series as well, but I'm afraid that Coyote Ragtime Show isn't considered new anymore. That's how out of the loop I've been.

I know that I must be coming off as a crotchety old man to some by saying these things, or some may chalk it up to whiny internet bitching, but it's the way I honestly feel. Animation is one of my great enjoyments out of life, and I still appreciate some anime series and recognize them as amazing achievements in animation and storytelling. It's just gotten harder to sift through the crap over the years.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:52 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
To my utter shock and disappointment, the fanbase and the scene itself had grown exceedingly lame and pussified throughout the years I was away from it. Apparently a combination of Toonami, Viz’s relentless marketing of Shonen Jump titles, and a steady stream of constant shallow moe and fanservicey “cuteness”, and romantic comedy fluff from ADV, Geneon, and others had attracted an almost entirely new breed of fanbase from the one I had grown up knowing; mostly consisting of overgrown manchildren and screechy fangirls with the word “KAWAII!!!” practically tattooed onto their foreheads. This was indeed not the same scene and fanbase that I had left behind at all, though in retrospect by ’99 there certainly were some early warning signs of this transformation taking effect that I had just not registered at the time.
Which is why the Seinen movement must happen again in order to get the fandom back to a respectable level.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:05 am

I got into anime and manga a few years after I got into DB, Saint Seiya, and Captain Tsubasa in Spain as a kid. I was a hardcore reader and watcher and I bought tons of DVDs and books. Now it's too overwhelming to keep up with it al and so I just lost interest on everything but DB. I too love DB more than ever!

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:35 am

I watch a lot of anime, mostly from the 1980s-1990s, and I love most of the anime from the new millennium. But as for DVDs, manga, toys go it's more dragon ball than anything else.

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:55 am

Personally, I'm still pretty much into anime, but more and more often I find myself wondering when did anime get so bogged down, I used to walk into a DVD store and run into the anime section (well, fastly walk) and would want to buy everything because I felt like a kid in a candy store!

But nowadays I'm finding myself buying only old anime releases, as the new anime that gets released these days seems so boring and catered to a different kind of anime fan.

I still plan on being a major Dragonball and anime fan in general, but it looks like once I get most of the anime that was released a while back, ill most likely stop my anime craze..unless we can get some good anime instead of gonzo crap..

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:31 am

The same in here..... Dragon Ball, yeah, okay but I'm not interested in other anime and they are really boring to me, but it isn't that long time since I finished Yu Yu Hakusho series on Animax.
Besides Dragaon Ball I'll be still little fan of Cowboy Bebop and Saint Seiya.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

ssjcj
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjcj » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:07 am

I've been into DragonBall on and off for about 6 or 7 years. The only other anime I have ever got into that wasn't DragonBall is One Piece. At the moment One Piece is my obsession. DragonBall is still my favourite anime but One Piece isn't too far behind. At this stage I don't see myself getting into a series which is as long as DragonBall or One Piece again.

As for seeing anime in shops, I am always disappointed because the only anime on sale is Naruto or Bleach. The rare times I do see DragonBall in shops is for the video games. It always surprises me how high they chart as it hasn't been on a well known TV channel in years. Furthermore, there are only those terribly dubbed movies available for DVD. I'm surprised at why we don't get DragonBall, or One Piece for that matter, in the UK. There is a reasonably high market for it so it makes sense. So to answer your question, is my DragonBall obsession becoming stronger? I would say yes.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:08 pm

ssjcj wrote:I'm surprised at why we don't get DragonBall, or One Piece for that matter, in the UK.
Know what?? For European releases there is French AB studio..... And you know what it means France and England (United Kingdom) :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

SweetCosmicPope
Beyond Newbie

Post by SweetCosmicPope » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:28 pm

To be perfectly honest, I'm the opposite.

The only waning thing is how much of my life anime occupies. I still love anime to death, though.

Honestly, except for Dragonball, I prefer a much different style of anime. Dragonball is certainly my favorite, but when I think of premium anime, Kikuchi, Kawajiri, and Otomo are the first names that come to my mind, not Toriyama.

It's odd that a style so different from those is my favorite, but for over a decade, it's never changed for me.

By the way, I've been watching anime since Mysterious Cities of Gold and the Adventures of the Little Koala in the 80s. Even as a young lad, I always preferred the Japanese style of animation, which sticks out like a sore thumb. From there I moved on to Akira, Neo Tokyo, Ninja Scroll, and A-ko, and never looked back.

I still watch what I can when I can, but it's far from my favorite thing to do. Then again, it never was, either.
"That's Peter Grave's Scat! I'd recognize it anywhere!" - The Film Crew

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:12 pm

I've noticed myself getting more picky when it comes to what new anime I can actually enjoy. But at the same time I finding that I am becoming even more obsessive in my enjoyment of the anime that I always used to like (Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Wings of Honneamise, Yuugiou, etc...)
Budogenkai wrote:But nowadays I'm finding myself buying only old anime releases, as the new anime that gets released these days seems so boring and catered to a different kind of anime fan.
Yeah, me too. I'm starting run out of newer anime series that I actually want to watch, so I continuously buy older and older releases. (My most recent DVDs are the original Burn Up OVA and Riding Bean). That's probably why I'll end up buying these Dragonboxes when they come out; because Dragonball is a classic show with that same kind of hand-painted look that I love (Hunter x Hunter looks amazing too).

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:33 pm

My interest for anime (INCLUDING Dragonball..) is fading. I still love anime but not as much as before (for now).

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:58 pm

Have you seen Love Hina? It's a great one.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:21 pm

sumpter360 wrote:
Bible Black is my favorite romance anime...what a delightful romp!
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:26 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
sumpter360 wrote:
Indeed. I love the complex, emotional entanglements between the characters... and the freaky sex.
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:26 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
sumpter360 wrote:
I know, that is the most romantic anime ever! It makes me feel all warm and cozy inside...

...wait...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:27 pm

Freeza Heika wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:
sumpter360 wrote: Have you seen Love Hina? It's a great one.
Indeed. I love the complex, emotional entanglements between the characters... and the freaky sex.
:shock: Freaky?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:28 pm

RoarkVegeta wrote:
Freeza Heika wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote: Bible Black is my favorite romance anime...what a delightful romp!
You my good sir, are too young to comprehend! :lol: :wink:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:29 pm

RoarkVegeta wrote:
Freeza Heika wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote: Bible Black is my favorite romance anime...what a delightful romp!
Have you not seen Bible Black? Go watch it.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki