I Was at Comic-Con...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

tlsmith1963

I Was at Comic-Con...

Post by tlsmith1963 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:17 am

...and I went to the Funimation booth yesterday. I asked someone there if they planned to acquire the rights to release Dragonball Kai. The person there, who works for the company & wasn't just selling merchandise at the booth, said that they really want to get the rights, so I guess along with Dragonbox we will get DBK. I didn't really see anything on the Dragonbox at the booth, btw. I was surprised to find out that Funimation has the rights to Joss Whedon's "Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog", though. They now have it out on DVD. They will make a ton of money on that; good acquisition.

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:23 am

Woah, thanks for sharing the info! I think I'm a little excited. :D
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:34 am

It's fantastic that they're trying to get the rights! I figured that they were trying. I'm pretty confident that they will, too. It's just a matter of the Japanese home releases coming out and the R1 DBoxes making their way onto the shelves beforehand. Don't wanna confuse people, after all.

I'm still planning on getting the Japanese Kai BD sets, though.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:11 pm

This is something where I can really get behind emailing the hell out of them not to mess up. Nice find.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:15 pm

I think "Funimation wants the rights to Kai" is more or less a given, though. The real news would be how far along they are in acquiring those rights, when they want to release their own DVDs and what their plans are for the series in terms of aspect ratio.