English Dragon Box Release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:12 pm

Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans wasn't remastered though, was it? FUNi bought the DragonBox masters (Er, well, copies of them, I guess).

I'm not saying I don't think it will ever be released. I'm just saying you guys seem to think that FUNi bought the rights to everything on those original sets - which is something they've never implied. In all honesty, I see it like they're buying what's on the single discs, rather than the boxes themselves.

Beyond that, a new bit of Dragon Ball footage seems like something FUNi would want to milk as a new movie, rather than releasing as an extra on these boxsets - Boxsets which most people who would be interested in PTETS will buy regardless.

However, even if it turns out I'm just being pessimistic, and PTETS is what Steve Simmons is alluding to, and it does indeed get included as an extra (though I don't see why we're all fine with an extra episode or twos worth of material on a disc, when we were all up in arms about the inclusion of an extra audio track earlier on in the thread) we aren't going to hear confirmation one way or the other until we get to a point where it would be logical to include it, as jigp1112 said.

Though I will say that I am kind of hoping that Simmons is translating the opening and ending credits, and that FUNi is going to put them on as subtitle overlays or something. That seems like something that would appeal to the "Hardcore" demographic FUNi is trying to sell these sets to. I know I would get a kick out of it.
Last edited by Hao_Kaiser on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:17 pm

Like the original movie releases... I'd go for that!
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:55 pm

Hao_Kaiser wrote:Though I will say that I am kind of hoping that Simmons is translating the opening and ending credits, and that FUNi is going to put them on as subtitle overlays or something. That seems like something that would appeal to the "Hardcore" demographic FUNi is trying to sell these sets to. I know I would get a kick out of it.
That would be amazing! Even if Kanzentai already has a lot of that info already (though it stops at DBZ episode 32 at the moment), it would still be the perfect inclusion to this set.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:58 pm

Char Aznable wrote:From what it seems, people tend to be forgetting that there are going to be seven Dragon Boxes, not just one or two. If the extras you're looking or hoping for - Plan to Eradicate the Saiya-jin a prime example - aren't on this one, it can be on one of the other six.

Besides, I agree with jjgp, it would make no sense to put the Playdia stuff on the Saiya-jin arc set. If this one has any extras, it'll probably be a bit on the light side.
We're not JUST talking about the first set here.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:00 pm

Rory wrote:
Char Aznable wrote:From what it seems, people tend to be forgetting that there are going to be seven Dragon Boxes, not just one or two. If the extras you're looking or hoping for - Plan to Eradicate the Saiya-jin a prime example - aren't on this one, it can be on one of the other six.

Besides, I agree with jjgp, it would make no sense to put the Playdia stuff on the Saiya-jin arc set. If this one has any extras, it'll probably be a bit on the light side.
We're not JUST talking about the first set here.
My mistake then, many of the posts appear as if they're expecting to see it out on the first set.

Budokai23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Budokai23 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:33 pm

Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans was never remastered so I'm not holding my breath for it.
Aka gtadbzman.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:46 pm

Budokai23 wrote:Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans was never remastered so I'm not holding my breath for it.
Guess I was under the wrong impression then. I thought FUNimation has the rights to whatever was on those boxes, not just the masters of the original episodes.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:46 pm

Are we sure it wasn't remastered, though? Can anybody with DBoxZ 2 confirm or refute this? Is it noticeably scratchy or faded in comparison with contemporary episodes? Will every sentence in this post be a question? If so, will you hit me?
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:48 pm

johnboy1 wrote:Are we sure it wasn't remastered, though? Can anybody with DBoxZ 2 confirm or refute this? Is it noticeably scratchy or faded in comparison with contemporary episodes? Will every sentence in this post be a question? If so, will you hit me?
It was confirmed that they didn't remaster it.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Budokai23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Budokai23 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:06 am

Yep, it definetely wasn't remastered. Pretty much they just took the old footage and slapped it onto a DVD.
Aka gtadbzman.

OutRun2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by OutRun2 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:23 am

This is indeed fantastic and yet shocking news. I never thought Funi would cave in and actually listen to the fans. I must living in a dream world. Somebody pinch me.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:30 am

Holy Crap, 123 pages?! This thread is growing at an alarming Rate!

Soon it will overtake all of DaizenshuuEX XD

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:37 am

OutRun2 wrote:This is indeed fantastic and yet shocking news. I never thought Funi would cave in and actually listen to the fans. I must living in a dream world. Somebody pinch me.
I think that they probably wanted it all along and just couldn't have it until very recently, forcing them to make their own remaster. Their big mistake was not giving their remaster nearly enough attention for it to be up to par for hardcore fans who care about aspect ratio and such.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:46 pm

Like everyone else that's posted in this thread, this is something I never thought would happen. When I first heard about it, I was just kind of like "Oh really? That's nice". But as it sank in I began to get more and more excited. I'll most likely be getting these because I want to replace my orange brick of the Saiyan saga (luckily the only one that I bought). I also want to replace all of my single releases since they seem to be picky about which of my DVD players they'll work properly on.

Also, someone at some point in this thread said that they're not just catering to fans of the Japanese version but "hardcore fans" in general, and that there are dubbies that are hardcore fans too. Well I think by "hardcore fans" they really are referring to fans of the Japanese version.

Now I don't deny that there are dubbies that can be considered hardcore fans, but maybe Funimation doesn't see it that way. Maybe they don't consider dubbies to be hardcore fans and mainly see hardcore fans as fans of the Japanese version. And when you think about it, could you really blame them for having that viewpoint?

Throughout the years:

Which group in America was it that clamored for a dub that was truer to the original and had people writing editorials and creating entire websites about it?
Fans of the Japanese version.

Which group in America has been more likely to care that there are Japanese voices in an ENGLISH LANGUAGE video game?

Which group in America has people that were more likely to go out of their way to find out about, care about, and import these EXPENSIVE, JAPANESE ONLY, UN-SUBTITLED DVD sets as well as Japanese CDs, manga, guidebooks, video games, etc?

Which group in America has been more likely to use Japanese naming conventions instead of English ones.

Which group in America was more likely to order the international channel to be able to watch Japanese DBZ?

And which group in America has been more likely to criticize Funimation for how poorly they handled Dragon Ball in the U.S.?

Taking all that, and the fact that the language track defaults to the Japanese version into account, is it really surprising that they would consider fans of the Japanese version to be the "hardcore fans" that they're marketing this towards?

Vivisection

Post by Vivisection » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:47 pm

I'm still trying to formulate a response beyond "HUUNGH?!". :shock: :shock:
Last edited by Vivisection on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:10 pm

Quick question, guys. Most of you keep referring to the phrase 'defaults to the Japanese version'. Does that mean the Dbox, when it's released, will have its default language as Japanese and not the other way around as it usually is featured in English Dragon Ball Z releases?

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:11 pm

Eclipse wrote:Quick question, guys. Most of you keep referring to the phrase 'defaults to the Japanese version'. Does that mean the Dbox, when it's released, will have its default language as Japanese and not the other way around as it usually is featured in English Dragon Ball Z releases?
Uh-huh.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:11 pm

Eclipse wrote:Quick question, guys. Most of you keep referring to the phrase 'defaults to the Japanese version'. Does that mean the Dbox, when it's released, will have its default language as Japanese and not the other way around as it usually is featured in English Dragon Ball Z releases?
Yes. I find that to be totally awesome.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:13 pm

Raki wrote:
Yes. I find that to be totally awesome.
I really don't see what the big deal is.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Vegeta1984
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegeta1984 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:16 pm

Yeah that I preety awesome... I really hope they use the scouter menu's those menu's are wicked awesome.... So its confirmed that there will be just 2 dubs tracks correct??? 1. Jap with ORG Music and 2. Eng with Original Jap music correct?