What's Your Take On GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:41 am

The only thing I really enjoy about GT was the Shadow Dragon Saga.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:44 am

I see GT in the same way I see Evolution, a different take on the Dragonball story, just one persons interpretation of how it carried on.

I enjoyed how it incorporated the humor and fun of Dragonball in the Black Star Dragonball saga and then the action of Dragonball Z in the next few sagas.

Some of the Ideas were good and overall I just enjoyed it and didn't think too much about it.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:28 am

B wrote:GT is better than Z. Straightforward narrative due to being shorter, better animation due to being be shorter, fantastic music, sans Dan Dan... It's quite an entertaining show.
That's exactly my reason why I think GT is better than Z. :D
You must have faith in who you are.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:30 am

GT is absolutely terrible. Sadly.
I say sadly because GT has a lot of potential, and the original concept of going into space looking for Dragonballs was brilliant, it was a smart way to give our ultra powerful heroes a challenge when it comes to finding the balls.
To reference the original story more, you turn Goku into a kid! Brilliant, not only does it perfectly chain into the story, but it also gives us our beloved Dragonball-era Goku back.
But as a lot of people here have already stated, it turned into a pile of garbage due to terrible execution. Long, droney episodes, with juge plot holes, characters much weaker than they should be, and characters downright ignored. GT is riddled with problems, but I think something very important, is the lack of character development. Nothing note-worthy seems to happen during all the battles in GT, there are no truely emotional moments, and because of this, no characters need to change, or do anything that would go against their own personality. Because our heroes are fully developed, they're boring to watch. It's like Toei recording some action figures bashing each other for half an hour. Yes, Kuririn dies at one point, and #18 cries. Boo-hoo, how many times has Kuririn died now? Is somebody keeping a chart?
Also, the art style is very boring to watch. Because Toriyama really had little to no input artistically, it really feels like watching a fan-animation a lot of the time. The flair of Toriyama seems to have completely left the show.
The only moments of GT I seem to like, are the moments that focus on the characters themselves, Vegeta shaving, Goten being on a date, Bra shopping. It's just fun to see the characters out of their element, livng a realistic life-style. Sadly, as with all the good parts of GT, they just don't stick around long, and are pushed aside for the bullshit.

The fights are also incredibley boring, they have little to no choreography, the martial arts aspect of this martial arts show have completely dissapeared, and it really feels like a generic super hero show. Because of this the battles usually result in Goku throwing random ki blasts at >Insert enemy here<, and maybe throw in a Kamehameha here and there. The moments that actually seem interesting to watch, are well animated, and those moments are few and far between.
Musically, GT is ok. The majority of the BGM is absolutely forgetable, I remember the various arrangements of Dan Dan, and that Spirit Bomb theme from the end of the show. That's it. Yes, the OPs and EDs are good, but it's not really apart of the show.. well, actually I guess it is, as Dan Dan is re-used a ridiculous amount of times in the BGM.
The ending of GT however, is actually really good, and wraps the story up nicely. It's just a shame that the whole show is absolutely terrible, so I disreguard any canon to it.
Last edited by Rory on Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:52 am

Rory wrote:GT is absolutely terrible. Sadly.
I say sadly because GT has a lot of potential, and the original concept of going into space looking for Dragonballs was brilliant, it was a smart way to give our ultra powerful heroes a challenge when it comes to finding the balls.
To reference the original story more, you turn Goku into a kid! Brilliant, not only does it perfectly chain into the story, but it also gives us our beloved Dragonball-era Goku back.
But as a lot of people here have already stated, it turned into a pile of garbage due to terrible execution. Long, droney episodes, with juge plot holes, characters much weaker than they should be, and characters downright ignored. GT is riddled with problems, but I think something very important, is the lack of character development. Nothing note-worthy seems to happen during all the battles in GT, there are no truely emotional moments, and because of this, no characters need to change, or do anything that would go against their own personality. Because our heroes are fully developed, they're boring to watch. It's like Toei recording some action figures bashing each other for half an hour. Yes, Kuririn dies at one point, and #18 cries. Boo-hoo, how many times has Kuririn died now? Is somebody keeping a chart?
Also, the art style is very boring to watch. Because Toriyama really had little to no input artistically, it really feels like watching a fan-animation a lot of the time. The flair of Toriyama seems to have completely left the show.
The only moments of GT I seem to like, are the moments that focus on the characters themselves, shaving shaving, Goten being on a date, Bra shopping. It's just fun to see the characters out of their element, livng a realistic life-style. Sadly, as with all the good parts of GT, they just don't stick around long, and are pushed aside for the bullshit.

The fights are also incredibley boring, they have little to no choreography, the martial arts aspect of this martial arts show have completely dissapeared, and it really feels like a generic super hero show. Because of this the battles usually result in Goku throwing random ki blasts at >Insert enemy here<, and maybe throw in a Kamehameha here and there. The moments that actually seem interesting to watch, are well animated, and those moments are few and far between.
Musically, GT is ok. The majority of the BGM is absolutely forgetable, I remember the various arrangements of Dan Dan, and that Spirit Bomb theme from the end of the show. That's it. Yes, the OPs and EDs are good, but it's not really apart of the show.. well, actually I guess it is, as Dan Dan is re-used a ridiculous amoutn of times in the BGM.
The ending of GT however, is actually really good, and wraps the story up nicely. It's just a shame that the whole shwo is absolutely terrible, so I disreguard any canon to it.
Amen!

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:46 pm

I'm yet to rush out and buy the second half to see the rest of it, so make of that what you will.
It starts off well enough, different to things we'd just seen. But before we get a chance to see how the characters are getting along on earth the setting shifts to space and we get somewhat unimaginative settings with subpar stories, dull compared to the previous series' canon, but better than most filler churned out during the other two series.
It's saved for me by some funny character interactions and voice acting. My favorites being the Parapara dudes and that earthquake monster.
The story stumbles around after introducing Bebi, rushing to show he's a threat, yet taking a hell of a long to make him accomplish what he's after... and the reasons for what he's after still confuse me.
Beyond that all I've really seen are clips. Gogeta acting vastly out of character compared to what was shown in movie 12, spirit bombs again, and an ending that's emotional but unclear.
Musically I always thought it sounded something like what you'd hear in a run of the mill saturday morning cartoon, but that was only from small clips. After hearing full episodes worth of music I think it's a refreshing change from the heavy music of Z.
I'm unsure what to expect of the second half. I'm hoping it doesn't become a "zomg he is the pwerful. but i am more pwrfuler!!1 24/7+" since I feel I've outgrown that side of Dragon Ball, more prefering seeing the characters talk to each other.

Overall thoughts? I like it. It's Dragon Ball.

EE_Bob

Post by EE_Bob » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:29 pm

Saw the run on International Channel years ago. Haven't seen the whole lot (nor z for that matter) but it's pretty fun nontheless. Couldn't care less that the story isn't made by the original author. The destinations within the show are obscure and interesting. The plot is pretty wacky but makes for a neat little adventure. For a cartoon it does what it should, "entertain".

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:30 pm

The 2nd half of GT is far better.

I love GT and it was a chore getting through the first 16 episodes.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:48 pm

I love Dragon Ball GT. It creates a whole new incredible story for the heroes to follow, has incredible music, stunning animation, and wraps the series off in a neat little package, unlike the "true" canon ending. So what if there are a few plotholes?

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:03 pm

jda95 wrote:I love Dragon Ball GT. It creates a whole new incredible story for the heroes to follow, has incredible music, stunning animation, and wraps the series off in a neat little package, unlike the "true" canon ending. So what if there are a few plotholes?
Its funny how the original ending gets so bad press.

I thought it was great. Its SO like Goku to go off to his next adventure and train the next generation of fighters. And that doesn't mean that he left his family, that just means that he`s acting like he always did, off to his next challenge. That doesn`t mean he won`t visit his family from time to time. Its like we saw in neko majin, he trains Uub but he still has contact with his family.
And even if he didn`t contact them very much, he would be back, just like the extra year he spent in space so that he could learn instant transmission.

Also, I thought it was great that the next generation (Uub) was a human.

I also like GT`s ending but I only like it because of the mystical factor they added. I actually think that it leaves more questions unanswered than the original ending.

Overall I think that GT is what most people say it is... Good ideas and concepts, very poor execution.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:08 pm

I think the manga ending is still pretty good, especially the Kanzenban version, as it reinforces that the story will always continue and whatnot. But it is still kinda cheap and abrupt.....

dragonfist
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonfist » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:07 pm

B wrote:GT is better than Z. Straightforward narrative due to being shorter, better animation due to being be shorter, fantastic music, sans Dan Dan... It's quite an entertaining show. I obviously don't accept it as canon, due to the many contradictions, but who honestly watched GT expecting it not to do that, unless you're just not well-acquainted with fiction being written by someone other than the author.

Now, if we're talking volumes 17-42 of the manga, then no, that trumps GT.
You're entitled to your opinion but I still gotta say; You've got to be Joking! :roll:

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:24 am

dragonfist wrote:
B wrote:GT is better than Z. Straightforward narrative due to being shorter, better animation due to being be shorter, fantastic music, sans Dan Dan... It's quite an entertaining show. I obviously don't accept it as canon, due to the many contradictions, but who honestly watched GT expecting it not to do that, unless you're just not well-acquainted with fiction being written by someone other than the author.

Now, if we're talking volumes 17-42 of the manga, then no, that trumps GT.
You're entitled to your opinion but I still gotta say; You've got to be Joking! :roll:
Joking about what? Z had to pad out it's story because it was running alongside the manga, and as a result, we literally have episodes of nothing happening but arbitrary banter that doesn't progress the story at all. One of these days, I'm going to make a list fo every episode that does this type of padding. GT was it's own story not based on anything. It moves at a reasonable pace and the only complaint one could actually have about it is if they didn't like the particular story arc(watching something you don't enjoy, like say, the Super 17 Saga, may seem a lot longer than something that actually is longer, but has better writing)

Also, thanks to the drawn out story, Z just became longer and longer. When you've got a show that doesn't seem to have an ending in sight(not to mention even AFTER it ended, they still attempted to continue it with GT), You don't have the time or the money to make everything look as good as it should, so the budget is super-duper low, and we have episodes of Z that are drawn horrendously. This isn't to say every episode of GT looks like God himself animated it, but the overall better quality and more attention to detail is quite noticeable. I'd like to also point out "design" and "animation" are too different things. Trunks definately is drawn better in GT, but it may not seem that way if you're too distracted by his silly outfit.

Taste in music is a personal opinion, so I won't touch this. Can't blame someone for preferring Z's score, though, it's great as well. One of the few positive things you can say about it.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

dragonfist
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonfist » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:30 am

Valid points but for me I guess doesn't change the fact that GT is boring to me. I always ask myself why would anyone want to come up with GT when Z was already ridiculous on the power levels & storylines. Have to admit didn't really thought about the pacing of the series since I have only seen the franchise in comic form. Still...

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:55 am

I definitely like the manga better than the Z anime, with all it's padding and all. But GT seems like the opposite to me. It's short, but a lot of parts are rushed and have terrible pacing.

I can't add much that others haven't already said. GT is good on paper, but in practice it kind of bores me. Shame, really, because it does have cool ideas and lovable music.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:45 am

My take?

Haven't seen it. Don't care it see it. Don't care if others watch it and like it.

However, I do like the music for it.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

DominatorLost
Beyond Newbie

Post by DominatorLost » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:07 am

I feel like I can't help but still like GT, because I first learned about it through Final Bout and in the times I spent in Spain there was merchandise for it, so it felt like I was seeing something no one else knew about it.

And believe me, I loved finding things on Dragon Ball no one else knew about it.

So I have a bit of a nostalgic liking for it.

I just wish it was executed better and that the likes of the last two DBZ movies were saved for it.
I'm not ready for this.