Do you completely disregard the movies?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:27 am

mister yummy wrote:Movie 12, as per why Goku and Vegita are dead? They did it intentionally to fight in the 2nd Annoyoichi Budokai. Vegita was damned to hell because Yenma was having a bad day. Gohan's eyes...that's incredibly minor, and he's still mystic.
...So you're saying they committed suicide, with no way of being revived to fight in some tournament?...

...A-are you just kidding? Please tell me you are!...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:42 am

Chou Gohan became Chou Gohan by trying to go Super Saiyan after having all that power unlocked. Maybe, like when going back to normal from Super Saiyan, Gohan can go back to normal, too. It isn't like he needs to have all of his power unlocked 24/7.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:50 am

Dragonball Movies? Nah.

Dragonball Z Movies? Hell yes.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:54 am

Kendamu wrote:Chou Gohan became Chou Gohan by trying to go Super Saiyan after having all that power unlocked. Maybe, like when going back to normal from Super Saiyan, Gohan can go back to normal, too. It isn't like he needs to have all of his power unlocked 24/7.
The way I saw it is similar. I think he's always 'normal' while mystic, but that doesn't mean his power has to be raised to full all the time. Kinda like the difference between Roshi relaxed and Roshi with gigantic muscles. It isn't a 'transformation' as such.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:01 am

Kendamu wrote:Chou Gohan became Chou Gohan by trying to go Super Saiyan after having all that power unlocked. Maybe, like when going back to normal from Super Saiyan, Gohan can go back to normal, too. It isn't like he needs to have all of his power unlocked 24/7.
Chou Gohan? As in "Super" Gohan? Is that the new fan term for "Saikyo no Gohan" now? Man, fandom is confusing. :?

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:05 am

I've been hearing "Chou" for years. Hardly seems new. I just go with with "ultimate".

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:29 am

Rory wrote:
Chou Gohan? As in "Super" Gohan? Is that the new fan term for "Saikyo no Gohan" now? Man, fandom is confusing. :?
It's not new. That fan term's been floating around for quite awhile. It just sounds a billion times better than "Mystic" to me.
(they/she)

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:08 am

I've heard of Chou Kamehameha I think.

Anyway I don't disregard the movies, they are enjoyable to watch and some have decent plots to them. I try to think of Dragonball Z as being on an open timeline where anything can fit in.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:22 am

Sin wrote:I've heard of Chou Kamehameha I think.

Anyway I don't disregard the movies, they are enjoyable to watch and some have decent plots to them. I try to think of Dragonball Z as being on an open timeline where anything can fit in.
Chou Kamehameha is a real term, though.
(they/she)

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:47 am

This post has been deleted.
Last edited by TVfan721 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kroni_Hunter
Regular

Post by Kroni_Hunter » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:08 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Rory wrote:
It's not new. That fan term's been floating around for quite awhile. It just sounds a billion times better than "Mystic" to me.
What's wrong with mystic? That sounds pretty cool too.
"An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world; a pessimest fears that this is true."

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:06 pm

Kroni_Hunter wrote:
Kendamu wrote:
Rory wrote: Chou Gohan? As in "Super" Gohan? Is that the new fan term for "Saikyo no Gohan" now? Man, fandom is confusing. :?
What's wrong with mystic? That sounds pretty cool too.
It isn't so much the "cool" factor as it is that Gohan wasn't really mystical in any sort of way. He was just able to use his full potential power without having to transform. Words like "Super," "Ultimate," "Chou," or "Saikyou no..." have meaning that convey what Gohan was better than something like "Mystic" would.
(they/she)

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:51 pm

I ignore 1-4 as part of the Time line but you can easily squeeze the other ones in without too much trouble.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:46 am

I guess I'll now ask a different version of the question: Does anyone disreguard the movies in the sense that you absolutely don't watch them?

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:01 am

It depends on the definition of disregard. I'm fully aware of how and why they were made, and that none of them were meant to be taken seriously as canon. So I disregard them as part of the main storyline, but regardless many of them are extremely enjoyable and I still watch them a lot ^^
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:09 am

"Do you completely disregard the movies?"

Yes, I find the movies very bad and often don't fit in the storyline.

Unless you count the Trunks and Bardock specials as movies, because those were actually good.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:56 am

I just consider the movies to be filler mini-sagas in other possible DBZ timelines, and by doing this I really enjoy them. Too bad the Garlic Junior Saga wasn't a movie and was instead a filler saga, I think if it was another movie it would be a lot better. 8)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:20 pm

I always take Movies 5, 9, and 13 into consideration. But everything else is non-canon, imo.
tvfan721 wrote:What is so difficult to understand? 10 whole years pass between "He's Always Late" and "Granddaughter Pan", any number of plots could have taken place between those 10 years to explain why Goku and Vegeta are both dead. It's as simple as that. I'm sure the writers of this movie thought the same thing. I understand some people are really dedicated fans but some people are taking this movie thing way too seriously.
Uhh...is this post a joke? :?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:00 pm

tvfan721 wrote:What is so difficult to understand? 10 whole years pass between "He's Always Late" and "Granddaughter Pan", any number of plots could have taken place between those 10 years to explain why Goku and Vegeta are both dead. It's as simple as that. I'm sure the writers of this movie thought the same thing. I understand some people are really dedicated fans but some people are taking this movie thing way too seriously.
It's implied Goku killed Majin Boo when he turned Super Saiyan 3 instead of buying time for Trunks. (Actually, I'm not even sure of that, but it's the most logical answer for why at least.)

No idea why they weren't wished back, unless Goku and Vegeta didn't want to be brought back.
Last edited by The Time Traveller on Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:05 pm

Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:I guess I'll now ask a different version of the question: Does anyone disreguard the movies in the sense that you absolutely don't watch them?
No reason to.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.