Do you sit through the filler?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:48 am

Why wouldn't I sit through it, it was entertaining and I'm not an over-analytical, hardcore fan. Though saying that, a real fan would surely be able to appreciate all aspects of the Dragonball Universe filler or not.

I can think of filler episodes I would much prefer to watch over non-filler episodes any day.

:P

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:58 am

I don't really have a problem with filler that's separate from the canon, like the Garlic Jr. saga. It doesn't bother the flow of what actually happens; it's self-contained, as filler should be.

Then there's another filler, which some of you either seem to be neglecting, or actually saying you like it. Taking canon moments from the manga and inserting new material. Minutes upon minutes of nothing happening. Nothing. Maybe some words shared between two people, but besides that, it's a bunch of bullshit that's supposed to "build tension."

This can be rectified with things that actually progress, like the Saiyan saga attempted to do, but gave us "Gohan's Big Snoozefest."
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:21 am

B wrote:I don't really have a problem with filler that's separate from the canon, like the Garlic Jr. saga. It doesn't bother the flow of what actually happens; it's self-contained, as filler should be.

Then there's another filler, which some of you either seem to be neglecting, or actually saying you like it. Taking canon moments from the manga and inserting new material. Minutes upon minutes of nothing happening. Nothing. Maybe some words shared between two people, but besides that, it's a bunch of bullshit that's supposed to "build tension."

This can be rectified with things that actually progress, like the Saiyan saga attempted to do, but gave us "Gohan's Big Snoozefest."
Agreed, I much prefer the fillers like Garlic Jr to the 'filler' extensions of the manga.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:21 am

Sin wrote:...a real fan would surely be able to appreciate all aspects of the Dragonball Universe...
Including Dragonball Evolution?

I know, I know. Out-of-context. I was just kidding!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:24 am

Kendamu wrote:
Sin wrote:...a real fan would surely be able to appreciate all aspects of the Dragonball Universe...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Just kidding, Dragonball Evolution is in it's own universe really.
It's like Dragonball was based on Journey of the West but isn't the same and certainly isn't in the same universe; equally Evolution is based on Dragonball.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:26 am

Sin wrote:
Kendamu wrote:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Just kidding, Dragonball Evolution is in it's own universe really.
It's like Dragonball was based on Journey of the West but isn't the same and certainly isn't in the same universe; equally Evolution is based on Dragonball.

If that were the case, I wish they would'a just called it "Guy With a Stick Looks for Balls" or something instead. :P
(they/she)

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:13 pm

Kendamu wrote:If that were the case, I wish they would'a just called it "Guy With a Stick Looks for Balls" or something instead. :P
You could call Dragon Ball that too.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:15 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:
Kendamu wrote:If that were the case, I wish they would'a just called it "Guy With a Stick Looks for Balls" or something instead. :P
You could call Dragon Ball that too.
Yeah, but you know what I'm getting at. A lot of people don't consider Dragonball Evolution to "really" be Dragonball because of how much it deviates from the original tone and setting of Dragonball.
(they/she)