How did you start your collection?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ramoro-san
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ramoro-san » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:27 am

Ah, fond memories. I can still remember when my brother and I first discovered DragonBall Z toys (as reissued by Irwin Toy, RIP) at Hot Topic in the Tucson Mall around 1999 or 2000, and we bought our first action figure: Super Saiyan Goku (reissue of Super Battle Collection model). I didn't know anything about any DBZ figure series at all, and I thought it was "imported" and "rare." We were so thrilled to make such a find, that we begged our mom to buy it for us even though it was overpriced at 13 dollars. We soon realized that there really wasn't anything special about our purchase, since DBZ figures were becoming readily available at most large retailers, and for about half that price. Oh well. Good times.

SweetCosmicPope
Beyond Newbie

Post by SweetCosmicPope » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:17 pm

Oh, this takes me back.

The year was 1997. Gas was still $1.00. The Astros were still in the Astrodome. And Funimation had yet to do a relevant translation of Dragonball.

I didn't mind, though. I still liked what I saw of the show.

I started off with the "Saiyan Conflict" VHS set. Loved it and ordered the entire series on fansub. In addition, I was gifted several irwin dragonball action figures (namely SS3 Son Goku, and Freeza and Vegeta with those little powerballs that shoot out of their hands).

From there, I purchased the Future Trunks super battle figure (I forget which volume that is off the top of my head...8 maybe?). I also began reading the comics, which I found with multiple volumes in baggies sold at suncoast.

Next, I purchased from Japanimation, Dragonball: Final Bout and a mod chip. Mastered that game pretty well, I must say.

Lots of other this n thats, but I'm sure you don't want to hear the whole shebang.

Never did get the Namek Saga set (the original dub)...wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those, actually.
"That's Peter Grave's Scat! I'd recognize it anywhere!" - The Film Crew

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:30 pm

My first purchase was DBZ VHS: Fall of the Tyrant. Ahh... That was memorable purchase I have had ^_^
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:40 pm

I also bought a Goku toy soon after I got my VHS Saga of Goku:

Kibosuru412
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kibosuru412 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:45 pm

I started with carddass cards from the vending machines back in 1992 and in addition to cards, I just got items here and there. I stopped around 1995 with an occasional purchase if I see prisms. In 1998/1999, discovered online auctions and bought some of the later series. And in 2003, I went all out replacing old japan cards and hong kong cards with newer quality and all japan released cards for carddass, power level, pp, card game, super card game, amada new trading cards, data carddas, etc. I stopped super card game and gumi and soshu dx series in late 2008 and stopped data carddass at DC2 part3 back in 2007? Now I'm just trying to find cards that are missing in my collection and the new carddass rerelease premium boxsets.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:55 pm

First DBZ thing I ever collected was the Pioneer/Ocean dub of Movie 1 on VHS, and it was a revelation to say the least.

Original orchestrated music, original Japanese songs, an accurate translation (with profanity even) and overall better production values.

I said to myself "Hey, the whole show should be dubbed this way."

And then I got Movie 2 on subtitled VHS a few days later, and oh boy those Japanese voices!!!
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

wannywan
Beyond Newbie

Post by wannywan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:01 pm

Budokai 1 for the PS2.

Then I went and got all the VIZ manga, and I still haven't seen most of the series, though through Kai I will.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSPpkxkjpPg]Picto-hame-ha![/url]

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:52 pm

First DB thing I bought was Budokai 2. Then B3, and a while later BT2 and 3. Then I began collecting the manga.

So far that's the extent of my DB purchases.

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:59 pm

Hmm, first when I was about 8 (I'm 17 now), I bought Lord Slug on VHS after seeing DBZ and some DB on Cartoon Network. I also became subscribed to that Beckett DBZ Magazine. In addition to those, I bought lots of action figures, the Cooler Movies (VHS). Once the first Broly movie came out, by then we had a PS2, so I got the UNCUT dvd, followed by the Trunks Special, then Broly Second Coming on dvd, as well as almost every Budokai and Tenkaichi game. I ended up selling all my DBZ stuff at about 12 or 13. Figured I was too grown up for it. Haha, I was naive. Three years later, somehow I get back into the game, and now I have all the Double Features, both GT Seasons, six of the seven Daizenshuu, the Super Exciting Guide - Character Volume, one Animation Comic, and the first Dragon Box Z pre-ordered. Funny how after I tried to get away from it, it still came back to me. 8)
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:03 pm

I had an amazing collection when I was about 6, but sadly and for some strange reason I got rid of everything.:( I had quite a lot of stuff back then as well.:lol: So I started my collection again in 2007 with Dragonball Z Season 1 (Remastered).

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:43 pm

Bought Piccolo and SSJ Vegeta Super Battle Collection figures from an import store at my local mall in 1998. I always kept losing Piccolo's damn turban. :x

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:19 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Hm...I bought "Death of a Prince" on VHS from Another Universe back in 1999 or so. Then, I purchased Arrival on VHS for nostalgia's sake some months later. I also snagged Ultimate Battle 22 and remember playing it while being simultaneously happy and mortified.

Skip forward a couple of years and I bought the Trunks DVDs. Then the Ginyu discs, the Android discs, a couple of Freeza discs, the two specials, a few movies, a couple of Boo discs...and then I stopped. I got to that "wow, this is a lot of money for not a lot of material...and the quality doesn't seem that great..." point.

March 2003 I got the first DragonBox, and I just went from there. I bought all the Kanzenban in 2004 around the time the DB DragonBox came in. All the Daizenshuu in 2006. All the other guidebooks in '07, etc.

So, that's how I started my collection. 3 seperate times. Jeez, I've spent too much money on this show... ;p

-Corey
I wanna see a picture of your current collection. I remember seeing an older one, it must be a true beast now :lol:

I started with VHS of the Freeza saga. "Despiration" it was. $20 a pop at my local HMV. Everytime I walked into that store, however, it felt like I walked into heaven. I'm gonna buy a new DBZ video! I got a bunch more videos from there, and *gasp* got a DVD of the Fusion saga. It was glorious.

Then, I had a Dragon Ball break. A couple of years later, I bought Budokai 3 and got back into the series (found DaizEX). I started buying manga, DVDs and even toys. Now my collection is cool 8)

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:19 am

My collection started with a VHS recording of the first three DBZ movies from when they aired on cartoon network (given to me by my mom's friend's son). I also had recorded a bunch of episodes myself from the Freeza Saga, but those weren't important to me. I eventually bought Pioneer's movie box and more recently (sorta recent anyway), I bought the first "season" of DBZ and DBGT. I also have the last DBZ FUNi single and a random Pioneer single that I got for $3.00 each at Half-Price Books in Everett. And also, I musn't forget that I have volume one of the DB comic and used to have a ton of Bandai's DBZ toys.

I don't have much, but I'll be buying FUNi's Dragon Box Z, Dragon Box the Movies, and (if they release it) Dragon Box.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Velasa

Post by Velasa » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:04 am

I'm almost certain that the first Dragonball thing I ever owned was the Pioneer dub vhs of movie 2, World's strongest. My aunt gave it to me for some occasion, and I adored it. Shortly after I got the vhs for Dead Zone and the American Super Battle Collection re-release of Piccolo and little Gohan. After that all the merch starts to get fuzzy.... and now my room is covered in it.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

trunkschan90
Beyond Newbie

Post by trunkschan90 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:24 pm

My two friends from high school got me into Dragonball. It all began when they gave me the first few issues of the Dragonball comic. That's what started all. 8)

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:54 pm

I had already been watching the dub on CN for a little bit, but my collection started with a couple of Dragonball Z comics put out by VIZ that focused on the training before the Saiyans arrived and the early part of that battle. Shortly after I also got a Trunks VHS and a light-up bouncy call that was made to look like the 4-Star Dragonball.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:42 pm

I don't really have a collection but do plan to start one soon, unless Dragonball hentai counts? No? Well, I guess it started when I brought the bootleg "Dragoon Ball Z" toys from a small shop in china town during the mid 90's. They broke apart as soon as you open the box, I'm not shitting you.

Reckoner

Post by Reckoner » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:05 am

I bought the tape for the Ocean dub of Movie 1 and "Goku...Super Saiyan?!" on the same day and that actually held me over until I discovered fansubs at the local comic shop.
"Father, what's Hell like?"
"Well, there's a blue ogre and a red ogre, and we play tag all day." - preview for episode 13

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:18 am

I bought a VHS tape of movie 6 (big green dub :lol: )
Also volume 2/5 of the manga (we had those green manga's who were split in half, so it was vol. 5 for me. It was the one where Goku and Kuririn had to find a girl for Roshi. When I bought and read it I wanted more (at the time I had no clue that it was the manga).
As for figures, when I went shopping in a strange city I saw a Kuririn figure on sale for only € 1,50. So he was my first figurine ever. ^^

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:20 am

The first Dragonball item I ever bought was Dragonball Z Budokai for the Gamecube.
Good times. :)