Budokai 1 Changes

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Knuckles

Budokai 1 Changes

Post by Super Saiyan Knuckles » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:59 pm

When bordem sets in, I do almost anything to distract me from bordem...this might be one of them. I'm going to try and lis changes from DBZ Budokai 1. Keep some things in mind:

1. I've never seen the Japanese episodes or the manga.. if it's a DB sin, it can't be helped.

2. I may miss some things, so feel free to add them.

3. I'm also including the filler changes (such as lack of Garlic Jr.)

4. I'm breaking it down like so:

Story Mode: Pre-Battle cutscenes, post-battle cut-scenes, changes in character appearence (i.e, changing of SSJ2 lightning color), things that don't happen.

Techniques: Name changes, changes in look

Miscellanious: Anything I find that I'm not sure where it goes/things Budokai messes up for itself.

5. Some of these are on the site in some way (such as Cell bulking up being given a name now)

6. I'm using american names, which means "Krillin" and some attacks.

7. These won't be in order right away, I'll probably edit later.

8. Extra storylines won't be bothered with, as they weren't ever there.
So let's try. Remember, if you want to add missed things or just add, feel free. We'll begin with story changes.

Saiyan Saga:

Episode 1: Mysterious Alien Attack
Pre-title changes:
#1: Raditz doesn't whack Krillin with his tail.

#2: Raditz doesn't actually start a fight with Piccolo, though they do stare each other down.

#3: Their isn't as much detail explaining Goku's past with what's necesary.

#4: We don't see Goku and Piccolo form their alliance.

Pre and Post Battle Cut-scene changes:

#1: Goku doesn't try the Kamehame Wave.

#2: Piccolo only does Special Beam Cannon once.

#3: Piccolo doesn't get his arm blown off.

#4: After Gohan Head-butts Raditz, there isn't a crack in his armor.

#5: Raditz doesn't attempt to kill Gohan after being head-butted: Goku doesn't give him time. End of episode.

Episode 2: A Mutually Deadly Foe: Same changes

Episode 3: Saiyan Attack!

Cutscenes:
#1: Ozarru Gohan doesn't appear.

#2: We never see Picoolo cut off Gohan's tail, but he's missing it in the fights with Vegeta and Nappa.

#3: The Saibaman that self-destructs on Yamcha does so without being defeated.

#4: Krillin doesn't attempt to attack Nappa with Destructo Disc.

#5: Tien doesn't get amputated by Nappa.

Battle changes: Piccolo fights the whole wave of Saibamen himself.. actually, by wording, Nappa suggests it's a second wave.. however, there is no actual proof of this.

Episode 4: Goku's Silent Fury
Scenes:
#1: Yamcha's not in a crater, but when the Saibaman exploded, a crater was created.

Episode 5: Super Duel!!!
Scenes:
#1: Vegeta doesn't seem like he's blaming Goku for him killing Nappa.

#2: Vegeta doesn't make the idiotic notion that Bardock was a scientist (okay, so the writers didn't know, but but with Goku's, shall we say, idiocy, rather shows his father couldn't of been much, if at all, smarter)

#3: Vegeta doesn't explain how the ball works.

Episode 6: Show Gohan's True Power! (Saga Finale)
Cutscenes:

#1: Ozaruu Vegeta doesn't stomp on Goku.

#2: Goku doesn't use Solar Flare before preparing the Spirit Bomb.

#3: The Spirit Bomb finishes off Vegeta.

#4: No Oozaru Gohan

To be Continued... Well, you wanted line-breaks, VegettoEX, so there you go.
Last edited by Super Saiyan Knuckles on Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Because Kaio-Ken just doesn't cut it anymore.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:46 pm

Some line-breaks / paragraphs would be really helpful...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Super Saiyan Knuckles

Post by Super Saiyan Knuckles » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:39 pm

I'll at least start on Namek Saga now....

Episode 1: Let's Go to Namek!
Scene Changes:

Pre-Battle 1: None

Post-Battle/Pre-Battle 2:

#1: Only King Kai talks to Goku: however, it's still a warning about Frieza.

#2: Goku never looks into a "warbrobe of undifferent outfis".

Post-Battle/Pre-Battle 3:

#1: Goku beats his chest after completing his training, perhap in an attempt to get back to his Ozaruu roots. :wink:

During Battles:

#1: Instead of excercises like in the anime, Goku fights Vegeta holograms.

Episode 2: Vegeta's Attack

Scene Changes:

Pre-Battle 1:

#1 Vegeta meets Kuwi on Planet Frieza instead of Namek.

#2: Vegeta should have been healing because he lost to Zarbon transformed, than steal the Dragon Balls.

Post-Battle/Pre-Battle 1:

#1: Zarbon doesn't spill the beans that Frieza can also transform.

#2: Vegeta's blast doesn't launch Zarbon into a lake.

#3: Bulma wasn't watching the fight.

#4: We don't see the fight with Guldo.

Episode 3: Goku's Arrival!

Pre-Battle 1:

#1: Goku doesn't give anyone Senzu Beans.

Post-Battle/Pre-Battle 2:

#1: We don't even see the fight with Burter and Jeice.

#2: Vegeta says that a Super Saiyan is born every 1000 years... in actuallity, the last time a Super Saiyan was born was a millenium ago... I believe that's what he stated in the anime, anyway.

Post/Pre-Battle 3: None

Battle Change:

#1: The voice should change with Ginyu's body changes. However, in the fight (and any other in other modes) it doesn't.

Post Battle 4: None

To be Continued in Namek Part 2: Frieza

Super Saiyan Knuckles

Post by Super Saiyan Knuckles » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:17 pm

Namek, Part 2: Freeza

When we last left Namek, the Captain Ginyu had just been defeated, and Goku was restored to his own body. We return to Namek with Episode 4: The Road to Super Saiyan. Buckle up!

Intro/Pre-Battle 1:

#1: Although it shows Goku beating Recoome and Burter, Vegeta is not shown finishing them off.

#2: Krillin doesn't cut off part of Freeza's tail with the Destructo Disc.

Episode 5: Freeza? Or Vegeta?

Post-Battle/Intro/Pre-Battle 1:

#1:Freeza doesn't mention his second form has one-million as a power-level.

#2: Freeza never says no one has seen his third form.

Post-Battle 2:

#1: Freeza doesn't grind a rock in Vegeta's armor gap.

Episode 6: Goku Revived!

Intro/Pre-Battle 1:

#1: Goku doesn't make his promise to Vegeta that he'll kill Freeza... however, the scene of Vegeta's plee was at the end of the previous episode, and Goku does sound like he means to kill Freeza.

Post-Battle 2:

#1: Freeza never sees the Spirit Bomb (until it's to late :wink:.), so Piccolo doesn't have to interveen.

#2: Freeza's Death Ball. See future "technique changes" section.

Episode 7: The Legendary Super Saiyan (ironic when you think of Broli 1)

Intro/Pre-Battle:

#1: We don't see Freeza blast Piccolo with Death Beam, but he did something, because Gohan does have to carry Piccolo to Goku's ship.

Post-Battle: Nothing, really, I just wanted to say how stupid Freeza is. :D

Episode 8: A Quite But Fierce Battle (Saga Finale)

Intro/Pre-Battle 1:

#1: Goku isn't "defeated" by 100% Freeza, so..

#2: Gohan doesn't return to fight Freeza until Goku's return.

Post-Battle 2:

#1: Freeza doesn't get sliced to pieces by his Destructo Disc rip-offs.

#2: Gohan and Vegeta don't get in a brawl back on Earth.

#3: Freeza never used a Death Ball on Namek, so why's Namek exploding. We can only assume Goku's theory that Namek was to "fragile" to handle the Spirit Bomb was cashed in on.

To Be Continued...

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:54 pm

Super Saiyan Knuckles wrote: #2: Vegeta says that a Super Saiyan is born every 1000 years... in actuallity, the last time a Super Saiyan was born was a millenium ago... I believe that's what he stated in the anime, anyway.
Psst....a millenium is 1000 years.

Super Saiyan Knuckles

Post by Super Saiyan Knuckles » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:58 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Super Saiyan Knuckles wrote: #2: Vegeta says that a Super Saiyan is born every 1000 years... in actuallity, the last time a Super Saiyan was born was a millenium ago... I believe that's what he stated in the anime, anyway.
Psst....a millenium is 1000 years.
Yes, but Vegeta states every 1000 years/millenium...in the game. But it's certainly not 1000 years after Goku goes Super Saiyan until Vegeta goes Super Saiyan. In the dub, Vegeta states that the last time there was a Super Saiyan was 1000 years ago, not every.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:36 am

I think most of those can be explained due to the limitations of technology of the time. >.> Or to keep them to the point.

Also, you could try to be a bit more consistent. XD I've seen three different spellings for Oozaru.

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:30 pm

Even though Dodoria's a completely useless character, it always bugged me that they included him in Budokai, but never had Vegita actually fight him in a story mode episode.

We never get to play as Future Trunks in story mode, either. Perhaps because he only factored in after Freeza?...
"I am an Android from the future, destined to absorb 17 and 18. ~<3"

Super Saiyan Knuckles

Post by Super Saiyan Knuckles » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:08 am

Endishiki wrote:Even though Dodoria's a completely useless character, it always bugged me that they included him in Budokai, but never had Vegita actually fight him in a story mode episode.

We never get to play as Future Trunks in story mode, either. Perhaps because he only factored in after Freeza?...
We still could've fought Mecha Freeza, at least. Oh well. Let's continue with..

Android Saga, Part 1: Imperfect Cell

Episode 1: A New Threat

Intro/Pre-Battle: #1: The Garlic Jr. filler arc is completely skipped... but, it's filler (a whole saga), so that's okay.

#2: Yamcha doesn't get his blasted.

Episode 2: Super Saiyan Vegeta!

Post/Pre-Battle 2: #1: 19's "brain" isn't exposed.

#2: We have no indication Vegeta's fight with 18 is being watched by the others; 16 looks to be missing.

Post Battle 3: #1: 18 doesn't step on Vegeta's broken arm.

Episode 3: A Dark Omen

Intro/Pre-Battle 1: #1: Piccolo says Cell's name, but after the fight, Cell seems to have to tell him his name.

Episode 4: Sneaky Cell

Episode 5: Vegeta's Confidence

Intro/Pre-Battle 1: #1: We don't see 16 defend 17, but later, 16 indeed has a chunk of his head missing.

To Be Continued in Android Sags, Part 2: The Cell Games [/u]
Last edited by Super Saiyan Knuckles on Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:09 pm

Super Saiyan Knuckles wrote: Android Sags
:lol:

But seriously you should be a lot more careful with your editing...

And I think you'd be much better off recording all the cutscenes from Budokai 1 instead of just typing up possible differences. People would find it a lot more interesting that way, because they could follow along your little analysis a lot easier with some eye candy/evidence.

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:47 pm

While the idea's nice, he likely doesn't have the equipment or the space. He could try to randomly steal screenshots from sources across the Internet, but from what I've seen, most of them are from battles, not the story mode.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:18 pm

Endishiki wrote:While the idea's nice, he likely doesn't have the equipment or the space. He could try to randomly steal screenshots from sources across the Internet, but from what I've seen, most of them are from battles, not the story mode.
I have the equipment...but I guess I'm not too interested in helping. :)

Capture cards are easy to come by though and are your best friend really...but I guess the prices get a tad bit too high. However, if you shop around you can usually land a Dazzle DVC 80 for 30 dollars. Not the best deal, and not a particularly great card, but it's a good entry-level tool. However I'd be interested to know what kind of capture device VegettoEX or anyone else here uses...because I'm sure they could give you some great pointers.

But as far as space, the videos don't need to be high-res, and seeing how short the cinematics are in Budokai 1, it wouldn't take up too much space in reality. Besides...I may not be willing to hook up Budokai 1 and record all the cinematics as of now, but I'd be more than willing to lend some bandwidth/storage space for the cause.

Super Saiyan Knuckles

Post by Super Saiyan Knuckles » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:40 pm

Mugenmidget wrote:
Endishiki wrote:While the idea's nice, he likely doesn't have the equipment or the space. He could try to randomly steal screenshots from sources across the Internet, but from what I've seen, most of them are from battles, not the story mode.
I have the equipment...but I guess I'm not too interested in helping. :)

Capture cards are easy to come by though and are your best friend really...but I guess the prices get a tad bit too high. However, if you shop around you can usually land a Dazzle DVC 80 for 30 dollars. Not the best deal, and not a particularly great card, but it's a good entry-level tool. However I'd be interested to know what kind of capture device VegettoEX or anyone else here uses...because I'm sure they could give you some great pointers.

But as far as space, the videos don't need to be high-res, and seeing how short the cinematics are in Budokai 1, it wouldn't take up too much space in reality. Besides...I may not be willing to hook up Budokai 1 and record all the cinematics as of now, but I'd be more than willing to lend some bandwidth/storage space for the cause.
That would be nice, but as Mugenmidget thought, I don't have the stuff to do that... Getting screenshots form the internet could work, but I'm not sure where... I'm almost done with Story Mode changes... then techniques are what's left. Let me look a bit.

Super Saiyan Knuckles

Post by Super Saiyan Knuckles » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:02 pm

Here we are, the last stage of changes in Story Mode. We just witnessed changes from the arrival of the Androids to the appearance of Super Vegeta. We return to find Vegeta making (possibly) his biggest mistake in the series...
Episode 6: Perfect Form Cell Complete

Post-Battle Scene: We don't see Trunks fight... only a glimpse of him being beaten.

Episode 7: Cell's Game Begins

Pre-Battle Scene: No comic attempt from Hercule to fight Cell; skips stright to Goku

Episode 8: A Warrior Beyond Goku

Pre-B Scene: As Goku finishes his "speech" to Cell, saying this is'll be the last chance, he looks up a cliff where we see Gohan.. but a bit to the left, they're seems to be another Super Saiyan.

Episode 9: Gohan Explodes

Pre-B Scene: Hercule doesn't throw 16's head to Gohan,

Battle Change: There's a wrong number of Cell Jr.s. There are supposed to be 8, right? Well, there's only 7.

Episode 10: The Final Battle!

None. Cograts, Ep. 10!

The only thing left's the techniques... but not now.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:40 am

Super Saiyan Knuckles wrote:Battle Change: There's a wrong number of Cell Jr.s. There are supposed to be 8, right? Well, there's only 7.
No, there is supposed to be 7 Cell Jrs. The anime had Gohan destroy one more (go figure :roll: ).

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:05 pm

Actually, they skip over Future Trunks defeating the Artificial Humans in his time, too.