FUNimation Dragon Box Z #1 (In-Hands) Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:01 pm

Like Kaiser said, it means they're inconsistent with the names.

'The Saiyan Saga began airing in September 1989. The Vegeta saga ended in 1990.' You know, can't keep the names straight.

And 'Vegeta Saga' is boring as hell for a name, I prefer Saiyan saga. I find 'Namek' and 'Android' to be a little less dry than 'Freeza' and 'Cell', also, maybe because they're used less often (Though I alternate depending on my mood).

And those artbooks included with the Dragon Boxes look great.

hunterxhunter21
Beyond Newbie

Post by hunterxhunter21 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:11 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:I still dont get what the 'back and forth' part means.
Here it is Vegeta Saga
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l59/H ... C01192.jpg

But this one is Saiyan Saga
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l59/H ... C01208.jpg

I kinda dislike that this pic http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l59/H ... C01188.jpg of Goku, the blue one. I have just seen that on so many bootlegs on ebay. It just always reminds me of that.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:13 pm

email2003 wrote:At least they spelled Freeza the right way.
Holy crap! They did spell it Freeza! Kickass!

I wish I had this release now, but at the same time this gives me something to talk about and a lot less responsibility to take pictures of it later. :lol:
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:13 pm

'Main characters that appeared __________ episode 35.'

What are the words that random and inconveniently placed batch of sunlight is blocking out?

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:16 pm

My Dragon Box has arrived.

Pictures forthcoming. Any requests?

Screen caps are an impossibility at this time; though I can take pictures of it playing on my television set (lol).

Good shit.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:17 pm

Sounds good. I like the authenticity and homeishness of seeing pictures of things playing on a TV.

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:18 pm

If possible...

Let us know how the audio sounds.

I'm sure compared to previous releases it sounds better..
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:20 pm

Will do, though I must say that I have already sold off my season sets so I have nothing to directly compare it to (unless I am going off of memory).

Did someone mention that there is a way to check the KBPS stream while viewing on a Playstation 3? By pressing select or something like that... ?

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:20 pm

Triangle I believe...

Should have that info in top right corner.
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

hunterxhunter21
Beyond Newbie

Post by hunterxhunter21 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:25 pm

I think select. Yeah select.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:26 pm

Smooth Criminal wrote:Will do, though I must say that I have already sold off my season sets so I have nothing to directly compare it to (unless I am going off of memory).

Did someone mention that there is a way to check the KBPS stream while viewing on a Playstation 3? By pressing select or something like that... ?
The video counter on the PS3 is inaccurate and worthless. The only reason to check it would be to reconfirm the audio.

As was said in the podcast after it was announced, I expected them to take it to 192k, but 96k is fine for mono audio. Not the preference mind you, but should create no real issues. As an example, standard stereo audio in most of their releases is 192k, halve that, 96 for mono.

Would more have been preferred... well we always prefer more. Will it create ANY issues.... doubt it.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:32 pm

I wonder, these are called discs 1-7...what if the second box has discs 8-14? It would make repackaging them for a (ever so far off) complete set release rather...easy. :wink:
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:36 pm

Dr. Casey wrote:'Main characters that appeared __________ episode 35.'

What are the words that random and inconveniently placed batch of sunlight is blocking out?
Sorry about that. These pages's paper quality is top notch and quite glossy, so that's where the glare came in (or did I Photoshop a sun in there for shits and giggles? ^.^)

Anyhow, it says "Main characters that appeared between episode 1 and episode 35. Be sure to pay special attention to the changes in Gohan's designs, as the character grows."
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:38 pm

So, Toriyama's introduction wasn't included?

I guess this is a full rundown of the Dragonbook's contents:

Goku's early days(4 pages )
Profile of goku's family(2 pages)
Ultimate character relations chart(2 pages)
Perfect epiosode guide(Main part of the book 30 pages)
Dragon Columns
History of DBZ
Fashion Check

So I guess I can pretty much remove Dragonbook Bonus Coverage from the number one spot on my Kanzentai request list. :D
Captain Awesome wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote: And yes guys, there is a visible different between the two, but it could easily be attributed to the fact that Haseowolf's .jpg FUNi DBox screens were compressed to JPEG format by Photobucket. We should wait for lossless versions before a definitive judgement is made.
Then why make the comparison in the first place?.

The screencap isn't even in the correct resolution, and you're adding fuel to the fire of moronic paranoia by making worthless comparisons that aren't indicative of anything.

So instead of lovely thread celebrating a release that we've all been waiting for, it's already degenerated to a clusterfuck of misinformed opinions and baseless assumptions by the technically inept.
So that as soon as he did get his correct image uploaded, I already had mine... Yeah I re-sized that one so that it matched the one he had up, but that was just because I was curious to see how they looked at that point. Really wasn't that big of a thing, just one frame. If some people took it as solid evidence, okay.

EricM
Beyond Newbie

Post by EricM » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:39 pm

96kbps audio? Goddamit, they had to make sure one part was screwed up. Oh well, rest looks nice.
Grain is beautiful.

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:42 pm

EricM wrote:96kbps audio? Goddamit, they had to make sure one part was screwed up. Oh well, rest looks nice.
Oh no no no no. Sure the bitrate isn't as insanely high on the Japenese Dragon box for a mono track, but it is nothing to scoff at. I finally got a chance to pop it into a standalone DVD player and actually watch some parts of episodes to spot check. I didn't have to turn the volume up to hear anything (like I had to do with the Orange Bricks), but I did pump up that volume a bit (hey, no one else is home) to just see if I could hear some humming or some other sort of noise on this track. To my hears I heard nothing. Really clear. No drop-outs or anything of that nature.

As godofchaos said, it's not the best, but it shouldn't cause any sound issues.
Last edited by Haseowolf on Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:42 pm

EricM wrote:96kbps audio? Goddamit, they had to make sure one part was screwed up. Oh well, rest looks nice.
godofchaos wrote:
Smooth Criminal wrote:Will do, though I must say that I have already sold off my season sets so I have nothing to directly compare it to (unless I am going off of memory).

As was said in the podcast after it was announced, I expected them to take it to 192k, but 96k is fine for mono audio. Not the preference mind you, but should create no real issues. As an example, standard stereo audio in most of their releases is 192k, halve that, 96 for mono.

Would more have been preferred... well we always prefer more. Will it create ANY issues.... doubt it.
Yay! Reading is Fun!

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:45 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Enough dickery and over-sensitivity all around, please.
Hey, godofchaos was a little nasty. Anyway, you're right. Z took such a long time to get the true "definitive" release, so let's be happy and not fight! Let's leave the fighting to Goku and Vegeta in pristine clarity!!! :)
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

EricM
Beyond Newbie

Post by EricM » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:45 pm

Saying 96kbps is good enough for mono is an opinion. Not everyone has the same tolerances for compression noise.
Grain is beautiful.

hunterxhunter21
Beyond Newbie

Post by hunterxhunter21 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:47 pm

Mine just got here. Just thought I would throw up some pics.
I didn't think the Dragonbox showed that it was shinny in the first pics.

Then how it lines up case size with everything else.