FUNimation Dragon Box Z #1 (In-Hands) Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:36 am

godofchaos wrote:
disturbed001 wrote:If Toei had their Dragon Box masters on digibetas then I would assume they just did straight clones to digibeta and gave those to FUNi. So I believe in that case they would be 1:1. I mean they can't really make a worse copy off the master, that is unless they give them beta SPs or something... but that's a little outdated now.
Minus that Toei's masters wouldn't be digibetas.
Do you know what they are?
"hmm lets see.....nope, I don't have any Jewish candy"

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:37 am

I found it at the new Best Buy in town, got it price matched from Target, and cancelled my order with Amazon. In other words, It's on my bed right now!

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:54 am

disturbed001 wrote:Do you know what they are?
It isn't actually possible to know for sure (well, for Toei employees who worked on it it is....)

But we can guess based on what they would have needed to remaster the series.

Uncompressed video masters stored digitally with redundancies in case of an accident.

It also wouldn't be unprecedented for them to have printed multiple actual film reels of it to store in cold storage as an emergency backup.

It would also be relatively reasonable for them to have an intermediary copy around so they only need to touch the 'real' masters (or emergency backup) when absolutely necessary: the intermediaries could be digibetas, copies stored with low amounts of compression on hard drives (far higher than the quality we would see on a DVD or Blu-ray) or any other number of solutions.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:00 am

godofchaos wrote:
disturbed001 wrote:Do you know what they are?
It isn't actually possible to know for sure (well, for Toei employees who worked on it it is....)

But we can guess based on what they would have needed to remaster the series.

Uncompressed video masters stored digitally with redundancies in case of an accident.

It also wouldn't be unprecedented for them to have printed multiple actual film reels of it to store in cold storage as an emergency backup.

It would also be relatively reasonable for them to have an intermediary copy around so they only need to touch the 'real' masters (or emergency backup) when absolutely necessary: the intermediaries could be digibetas, copies stored with low amounts of compression on hard drives (far higher than the quality we would see on a DVD or Blu-ray) or any other number of solutions.
Sounds like quite a few options. Too bad we don't know.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:06 am

disturbed001 wrote:Sounds like quite a few options. Too bad we don't know.
Knowing for sure wouldn't really change anything for us, the product we got is the product they came up with.

At the very least we can assume (just based on the fact they spent money on it and would want to make sure they could do more with it if they wanted) the following:

They have an uncompressed master.
This master has a 1:1 backup.
They have an intermediary (lossy copy of the 'uncompressed mater', that is still far in excess quality wise as what you would see on a DVD.)

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:32 am

godofchaos wrote:
Knowing for sure wouldn't really change anything for us, the product we got is the product they came up with.

At the very least we can assume (just based on the fact they spent money on it and would want to make sure they could do more with it if they wanted) the following:

They have an uncompressed master.
This master has a 1:1 backup.
They have an intermediary (lossy copy of the 'uncompressed mater', that is still far in excess quality wise as what you would see on a DVD.)
It's interesting that there is a difference between our version and the Japanese version. Although, could they really come out perfectly identical? And I can't remember if there was a proven difference, with accurate screenshots.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:49 am

disturbed001 wrote:It's interesting that there is a difference between our version and the Japanese version. Although, could they really come out perfectly identical? And I can't remember if there was a proven difference, with accurate screenshots.
Had a number of different things happened, it is THEORETICALLY possible that the video could have been identical.

But honestly, no, it wasn't going to happen.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:49 am

My set is now processing, I'm so fucking excited X9000!
I've yet to see a single cent come out of my bank account..."hey freebie"

Sn4tcH

Post by Sn4tcH » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:38 am

Quick question, when watching the dub, do they still play that crappy butt-rock music instead Head Cha-La or is the Japanese music track completely playing through the episodes?
"I don't need to see Goku in 5000 Giga-watts in my way back machine to be happy" - NeptuneKai

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:41 am

Sn4tcH wrote:Quick question, when watching the dub, do they still play that crappy butt-rock music instead Head Cha-La or is the Japanese music track completely playing through the episodes?
They have only the Japanese music. This includes the opening and closing. However, the insert songs that were missing from the Orange Bricks are still missing.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

kenshiro87

Post by kenshiro87 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:59 am

SSJSteve wrote:Still waiting for my Dragon Box, I ordered it from AxelMusic and they shipped it out on the 6th of November... I really hope it arrives tomorrow!
I don't get mine but in general Axelmusic is really slowly ...
Last edited by kenshiro87 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:31 am

I kinda feel bad that I chose to purchase the Dragon Box over paying my phone. We don't really need phones, we have e-mail.... and laptops.

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:17 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Mewzard wrote:Went Mike's approach, and used a Target at at Best Buy.
*sigh* :P

-Corey
Yes, sigh indeed XD

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:52 am

SonGokuGT wrote:
Krakabeast wrote:Finally got my Dragon Box today! I've been working all day, so I can't wait to unwrap this baby soon.

I'm seriously considering buying another copy.
I'm not judging, just curious... But, why?
One to watch, and another to be left in the plastic wrap, so it doesn't lose any value. Who knows? Maybe there's a very slight chance that FUNi just may be assholes and stop releasing these. Maybe FUNi wants to treat fans the way Toei did, except they haven't told us yet. I also have a fetish about leaving some things wrapped, which is the reason no one wants to buy me Christmas presents. :lol:
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:44 am

Hold your wallets. Daizex is giving away a box. A fucking DRAGON BOX.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:54 am

RoarkVegeta wrote:Hold your wallets. Daizex is giving away a box. A fucking DRAGON BOX.
Details boy, DETAILS!

pjay
Beyond Newbie

Post by pjay » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:03 am

Krakabeast wrote:
SonGokuGT wrote:
Krakabeast wrote:Finally got my Dragon Box today! I've been working all day, so I can't wait to unwrap this baby soon.

I'm seriously considering buying another copy.
I'm not judging, just curious... But, why?
One to watch, and another to be left in the plastic wrap, so it doesn't lose any value. Who knows? Maybe there's a very slight chance that FUNi just may be assholes and stop releasing these. Maybe FUNi wants to treat fans the way Toei did, except they haven't told us yet. I also have a fetish about leaving some things wrapped, which is the reason no one wants to buy me Christmas presents. :lol:
I have the same problem too with leaving too many things sealed. Movies Games, etc.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:50 am

Big Boss wrote:
RoarkVegeta wrote:Hold your wallets. Daizex is giving away a box. A fucking DRAGON BOX.
Details boy, DETAILS!
All what I've heared is a free copy of Raging Blast (PS3)

Anyway, it's too late for me. I'll wait for my order.

The longer it takes, the more value it gets.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:49 am

Big Boss wrote:
Details boy, DETAILS!
Here's the latest tweet on the Daizex Twitter:
Thanks to someone awesome, we won't only be giving away "Raging Blast"... but a box of dragons. Stay tuned for details.
Yeah, yeah, I know I can direct link to tweets, but I totally don't know how. :D

... Haha... I'm ridiculous. I didn't get the whole "box of dragons" = DragonBox thing until RoarkVegeta pointed it out. I legitimately thought Mike meant like, a cardboard box of plastic Shenlongs and Porungas, or something. :P It was really early, in my defense.
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:29 pm

I legitimately thought Mike meant like, a cardboard box of plastic Shenlongs and Porungas, or something.
That would be hilariously disappointing. :D