Question concerning the cut material

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Question concerning the cut material

Post by Tyro » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:44 pm

I've been holding out on buying the DragonBox (not that I'm much of an anime fan, anyway) based solely on my assumption that Dragonball Kai was practically a fillerless version of the anime (I say "assumption" because I haven't watched any of it). However, I was reading not too long ago (here and on Kanzentai) that it appears that some (although minor) canon material was cut out along with the filler on the episodes. So my question is: How much canon material has been cut? Anything significant?

And as a bonus question: What should I buy? Should I buy the DragonBox and fast-forward around the filler, or wait for these to hit the States and watch the series with some canon material cut out?

Duo
I Live Here

Re: Question concerning the cut material

Post by Duo » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:52 pm

Tyro wrote:I've been holding out on buying the DragonBox (not that I'm much of an anime fan, anyway) based solely on my assumption that Dragonball Kai was practically a fillerless version of the anime (I say "assumption" because I haven't watched any of it). However, I was reading not too long ago (here and on Kanzentai) that it appears that some (although minor) canon material was cut out along with the filler on the episodes. So my question is: How much canon material has been cut? Anything significant?

And as a bonus question: What should I buy? Should I buy the DragonBox and fast-forward around the filler, or wait for these to hit the States and watch the series with some canon material cut out?
From an old friend to another, I'd say that it'd be worthwhile to buy the first Dragon Box and watch the filler. Most of it, in this part of the story, is actually pretty enjoyable. The question comes into play a lot stronger in the later story arcs, especially the "big fights" senselessly long stare downs and smoke clearing powering up etc...

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:53 pm

Go ahead and check out all the comparisons the Kanzentai folks did for the Saiya-jin arc, and you can see for yourself what was cut / what wasn't / what was canonical / etc.

It's really a question of... do you want to buy the Dragon Box right now? If you do, buy it. If you don't, don't buy it.

You can also own both, by the way. No reason you can't have both sitting around when and if they're both available to you. The series isn't going anywhere... it'll wait for you :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:59 pm

From what I remember, canon parts that were cut were a the small scene after Raditz finds out his scouter isn't broken where he looks back at Gohan and realises he genuinely does have all that power. It's a small beat, but a pretty important one to miss.

A part of Gurd vs Krillin and Gohan was cut too, although I can't remember what now. I think the bit where he hides behind a rock so they can't find him but they do. Strangely, quite a bit of the filler in that fight was left in though.

Other small parts of filler were left in as well, like Krillin visiting Chichi at her house to tell her Goku had died, the gang watching the fight with Nappa on TV, and Gregory. Although those last two were presumably left in because there wasn't much of a choice (unless they felt like animating some completely new scenes). Bulma has to find out Yamcha is dead before she actually arrives on the battlefield, because that's what happened in the original anime, and the scene of her finding out about it when she gets there doesn't exist in animated form. And Gregory is just pretty much always there when Kaio's around.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:44 pm

Dragon Ball Kai and Dragon Ball Z are so vastly different that it depends on which version you want (one that's a modern adaptation, or an old school adaptation with a kung fu-esque tone). If you truly don't want to deal with filler, might as well import Kai (or just stick to the comic).
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:39 am

VegettoEX wrote:You can also own both, by the way. No reason you can't have both sitting around when and if they're both available to you. The series isn't going anywhere... it'll wait for you :).
S'exactly what I'm doing. Even though I love Kai, I've a newfound appreciation for DBZ. They're different enough in tone, pace, and in terms of the video/audio presentation to warrant it while still being true to the same story overall.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:00 pm

I suppose I always could buy both if I truly wanted to, seeing as how both versions have their own pros and cons.

Pro-Kai:
-Reanimated scenes
-Little filler
-4:3
-Bluray

Cons:
-Cut canon material
-Price

Pro-DragonBox:
-every episode
-price
-no "rushed" feeling