Christopher Sabat drops hints on Kai's dub...

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:22 am

jjgp1112 wrote:I think the last thing on a casual DBZ fans mind is how accurate the dub is to the original. Hell, even I could care less.
Which is exactly why they shouldn't be catered to. If they don't care about the integrity of the presentation, then nuts to them. Make a good dub and send the negative feedback letters straight to the burner.

But if they're really that apathetic about accuracy, then I wonder if they'd truly be that offended if FUNimation were to implement some.
Last edited by Kaboom on Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Gogeta 00
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta 00 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:22 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:
Taku128 wrote:But if the dub still sucked would you not buy Kai?
No, I would not. Actually, a new, well-done dub is the only reason I would buy Kai, since I already have a great way to collect Z.
If the dub is different the dub fans have no track to fall back onto, but you have the Japanese track. If they have an "Americanized" English track and a Japanese track they can appeal to two audiences with two different tracks to make more money. If they have a faithful English track and a Japanese track they're appealing to one market twice and completely missing out on a second already existing market.
I see what you're getting at.

But a better dub for everybody is worth some people being a little confused at first. People who only knew the "Americanized" dub, if that's the euphemism we want to use for it, will get used to actually having an accurate one in time.
I think the last thing on a casual DBZ fans mind is how accurate the dub is to the original. Hell, even I could care less.
If someone really loves the series, don't you think they would like it to be presented accurately.

I'm pretty sure if you wen't up to a casual fan and gave them the choice of having a faithful dub, or an altered dub they would choose for it to be done faithfully.
[url=http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=9403] 12 years, 100 memories[/url]
[Former dub fan 1996-2008]

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:24 am

Gogeta 00 wrote:
If someone really loves the series, don't you think they would like it to be presented accurately.

I'm pretty sure if you wen't up to a casual fan and gave them the choice of having a faithful dub, or an altered dub they would choose for it to be done faithfully.
In DBZ's case, half of them don't even like the Japanese version anyway.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:26 am

jjgp1112 wrote:I think the last thing on a casual DBZ fans mind is how accurate the dub is to the original. Hell, even I could care less.
Then stick to the dub releases you've been given.

It's time Funimation start treating the show with respect. And I applaud the implication that they just might.

Are you really going to be turned off by a dub that's more accurate in both script and voices?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:28 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Which is exactly why they shouldn't be catered to. If they don't care about the integrity of the presentation, then nuts to them. Make a good dub and send the negative feedback letters straight to the burner.

But if they're really that apathetic about accuracy, then I wonder if they'd truly be that offended if FUNimation were to implement some.
That's not how Funi sees it, though. At this point in time, there's no profitable market for a new DBZ dub. Blame FUNimation for everything they did in the past. As Tupac said, (well uh, the guy singing the hook) "That's just the way it is - things will never be the same..."
penguintruth wrote:Are you really going to be turned off by a dub that's more accurate in both script and voices?
No, I just don't care for one. I would, however, be turned off by a dub that changed everything that I associate DBZ with - namely, the voices and the names. Especially after we've already had a whole dub and a bajillion video games with them.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Gogeta 00
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta 00 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:31 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
Gogeta 00 wrote:

In DBZ's case, half of them don't even like the Japanese version anyway.
I'm talking about the script, do you think they would rather have the script be the way it was meant to be, or changed? My idea of a casual has no familiarity with the Japanese version, therefore if they don't like it, it's simply out of ignorance. Your statement is right if you're reffering to the dub fans, but as far as the casual fan goes, there's always the chance that they'd prefer the original if they took the time to watch it.
[url=http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=9403] 12 years, 100 memories[/url]

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:32 am

jjgp1112 wrote:No, I just don't care for one. I would, however, be turned off by a dub that changed everything that I associate DBZ with - namely, the voices and the names. Especially after we've already had a whole dub and a bajillion video games with them.
Everything you associate with DBZ is wrong. If doing it right turns you off of it, you weren't a fan to begin with.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Gogeta 00
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta 00 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:33 am

Well, this threads done.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:38 am

penguintruth wrote:If doing it right turns you off of it, you weren't a fan to begin with.
This seems like a good point to end the thread on. I guess we'll find out what comes of FUNi and DragonBall Kai when the time comes.

"Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him." ~Dwight D. Eisenhower
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!