Atari/Bandai relationship might come to an end.

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Atari/Bandai relationship might come to an end.

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:14 am

According to Gamepro, Bandai (responsible for publishing DBZ games in Japan) announced plans to launch Bandai Games subsidiary in North America. Here's more details. http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps2/games/news/42668.shtml

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:52 am

*Confusedly wonders if this is good or bad news*
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:21 am

Atari already announced 5 new DBZ games for 2005; it doesn't sound like Bandai plans on changing that anytime soon.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:17 am

No change for me then. =D Bandai already publishes DBZ games in Europe.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:02 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:Atari already announced 5 new DBZ games for 2005; it doesn't sound like Bandai plans on changing that anytime soon.
Yes that's true, but if Bandai were to have a subsidiary in North America that would mean that the rest of the DBZ games announced by Atari will probably be published by Bandai & not Atari. This is all just recent news so it's not really verified whether or not either Atari or Bandai will publish the upcoming DBZ games. From what it seems though, Atari's plans will more or less likely not change.

Note: DBZ Sagas will indeed be published by Atari just to clear up any confusion on that.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:50 pm

Well this is good news for us Americans. If they are establishing some kind of Bandai development in America for distribution for Bandai games then that means we now have a much much much greater chance of getting Naruto, One Piece and other popular Anime games under the Bandai licence.

Ginyu Taiko
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ginyu Taiko » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:24 pm

From what I read of the article, there will be a One Piece game released in North America (wonder which one it'll be...).

Tuxedo Kamen

Post by Tuxedo Kamen » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:49 pm

I love Bandai, but I'm not too sure on my feelings toward Atari. They are always a hit or miss with me. Thankfully Budokai2 was a good turn on. I would like to try Naruto though, I hear the games a great.

Here's to hoping for the better.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:17 pm

Appearently BanDai will be bringing over a two disc set containing both the "Naruto: Narultimate Hero" games for PS2! I love those games, I already own the Japanese versions. Hopefully they will bring over the Gamecube Naruto games. I think the One Piece game will be whatever the latest of the "Gran Battle" games is.

On the DragonBall side, it'll be interesting to see how the publishing rights will be distributed after "Sagas".

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:24 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Well this is good news for us Americans. If they are establishing some kind of Bandai development in America for distribution for Bandai games then that means we now have a much much much greater chance of getting Naruto, One Piece and other popular Anime games under the Bandai licence.
Don't be too sure on that. >.>;; Bandai releases such games here, and 'lo, I still haven't seen any anime games outside of the DBZ ones. I demand One Piece & Kinnikuman!

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:14 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:Appearently BanDai will be bringing over a two disc set containing both the "Naruto: Narultimate Hero" games for PS2! I love those games, I already own the Japanese versions. Hopefully they will bring over the Gamecube Naruto games. I think the One Piece game will be whatever the latest of the "Gran Battle" games is.

On the DragonBall side, it'll be interesting to see how the publishing rights will be distributed after "Sagas".
May I ask where you got this info?. A possible link or so.

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:50 pm

Bandai releases such games here, and 'lo, I still haven't seen any anime games outside of the DBZ ones. I demand One Piece & Kinnikuman!
Kinnikuman is dubbed as Ultimate Muscle, isn't it? There was an Ultimate Muscle game I saw at an Electronics Boutique. I believe it was called Galactic Wrestling: Featuring Ultimate Muscle. But perhaps that's not the game you meant? :oops:

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:40 pm

Leotaku wrote:Kinnikuman is dubbed as Ultimate Muscle, isn't it? There was an Ultimate Muscle game I saw at an Electronics Boutique. I believe it was called Galactic Wrestling: Featuring Ultimate Muscle. But perhaps that's not the game you meant? :oops:
"Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy" is the name given to Kinnikuman 2nd Generation in the US. :)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:04 am

There's actually been three Kinnikuman games released in America (not counting M.U.S.C.L.E.), all of them by Bandai.

And Nintendo Power has been reporting that American versions of One Piece Gamecube and GBA games have been in the works since the release of Shonen Jump.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:45 am

Bandai releases such games here, and 'lo, I still haven't seen any anime games outside of the DBZ ones. I demand One Piece & Kinnikuman!
Then you haven't looked well enough, because I bought a Euopean version of One Piece Grand Battle! for the PSX for a mere €10, and I don't even really like OP ^_~
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:50 am

Well.. I'm a Gamecuber y'see. =D But, point taken.

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:01 am

"Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy" is the name given to Kinnikuman 2nd Generation in the US.
You mean the cartoon? I think I watched that for a while. Not that I ever watched any previous incarnations of the series. :P

Ryuujin

GamePro isn't very smart, but at least they smelled it...

Post by Ryuujin » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:32 pm

http://www.bandaigames.com/news/news_019.html

Nowhere does this mention anything about Dragon Ball.

But this is the way I see it. If Bandai decided to start releasing its Dragon Ball games in North America itself, there's not a damn thing FUNi or Atari can do about it aside from bribing a.k.a. "entering into a business contract" with Bandai (which appears to have happened right from the start of the Atari DBZ game streak). This could mean there'd be two different companies releasing different DBZ games. Why? Lemme tell you why...

- Bandai has worldwide exclusive rights to develop/publish DB games from Toei Animation and Shuiesha Press, the owners of the anime and manga, respectively.

- FUNimation *licensed* Dragon Ball/Z/GT from Toei Animation. They DO NOT OWN IT! Sure, they have the rights to their own dub, but they are still ultimately beholden to Toei Animation. If Toei decided they didn't want FUNimation holding the license to DBZ anymore tomorrow, they could take it away tomorrow. Look at CLAMP and 4Kids' treatment of Card Captor Sakura. CLAMP stepped in when they saw the butchering of their work and ripped it out of 4Kids' filthy hands. Of course, Toei doesn't care nearly as much, and there's family connections to FUNi.

- Atari received a license to develop/publish video games from a company who is a license holder itself. They do not have exclusive rights to DBZ video games, contrary to what FUNi/Atari have said, because Bandai's had the WORLDWIDE (that INCLUDES North America, as North America is part of the world) rights from the ORIGINAL OWNERS for almost two decades.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Re: GamePro isn't very smart, but at least they smelled it..

Post by Rocketman » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:52 pm

Ryuujin wrote:because Bandai's had the WORLDWIDE (that INCLUDES North America, as North America is part of the world)
[Phillip J. Fry] Wow, I have been gone a long time! [/Phillip J. Fry]

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:58 pm

Guess that's the trouble with being an American. We have NO OP games.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!