DB World-wide Release Question

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

DB World-wide Release Question

Post by SonGokuGT » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:09 am

I was just curious to know if there was info on all the countries DB has been in, and the different dub(s) in or dub used per region, with year it was introduced. If EX could dig up that info, it would make for a good section!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:01 am

Too much research!! *dies*
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Re: DB World-wide Release Question

Post by Dayspring » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:22 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:I was just curious to know if there was info on all the countries DB has been in, and the different dub(s) in or dub used per region, with year it was introduced. If EX could dig up that info, it would make for a good section!
As of 1999 there were only 12 languages other than Japanese across 15 different countries.

1: French
France in 1988; in 1995 the DBZ movies start hitting theatres

2: Spanish
Spain in 1990; paves road to huge wave of anime success in 1992, by which time DB is the number 1 children's show.

Mexico in 1995; is rated number one show in its timeslot.

3: Dutch
Belgium in 1988 on tv.

4: Italian
Italy in 1990 on a regional channel. Seeing its success, a national channel starts playing it as of 1996.

5: Greek
Greece in 1995, countrywide on tv.

6: Filipino
Phillipines in 1995; debuted "Live" in Manilla in June of that year. Hironobu Kageyama performed live at the presentation.

7: Bahasa Indonesia
Indonesia debutes in 1996.

8: Thai
Thailand debutes DB in 1988.

9: Korean
Korea in 1991; DB is released only on video, but meets huge success.

10: Chinese
Taiwan in 1995; only one (Dragonball) movie is shown in Taiwan (on tv across the country) in original Japanese dubbing, subtitled in Chinese.

Hong Kong in 1988; as of 1990 the movies are also released, and Trunks becomes Hong Kong's favorite character by far in national polls.

11: English
North America in 1995 across 80 channels throughout the continent.

12: Portuguese
Bresil in 1996.

Yes, I have no life. Why do you ask? :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:23 pm

I think Britain's was 1998/1997, it would have ended early but Cartoon Network was persistant in repeating the whole series from episode 1, and so the Buu saga only came about in 2003.
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:45 pm

Dayspring wrote:As of 1999 there were only 12 languages other than Japanese across 15 different countries.
Dragon Ball Z has aired in 42 countries. I might translate the list later tonight.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:06 pm

DBW wrote:
Dayspring wrote:As of 1999 there were only 12 languages other than Japanese across 15 different countries.
Dragon Ball Z has aired in 42 countries. I might translate the list later tonight.
I figured 15 was too small. Considering North America as one country cheesed me a little. Bad design, but I think those are the correct number of languages (up to 1999 anyway).
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:29 pm

Dayspring wrote:
DBW wrote:
I figured 15 was too small. Considering North America as one country cheesed me a little. Bad design, but I think those are the correct number of languages (up to 1999 anyway).
So does Canada count as one?

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:30 pm

Dayspring wrote:
DBW wrote:
EDIT: Dammit! Sorry for double-posting. My computer lagged and f'd up on me back there. Sorry again.
Last edited by Mike D on Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:21 pm

Since when was it in Belgium in 1988?

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:22 pm

Mike D wrote:
Dayspring wrote:
DBW wrote:Dragon Ball Z has aired in 42 countries. I might translate the list later tonight.
So does Canada count as one, seeing as how there are more than one English dubbing company.
Dude, edit your posts or delete one of 'em. :!:
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:11 pm

Mike D wrote:So does Canada count as one, seeing as how there are more than one English dubbing company.
No, he's just counting the languages, not separate dubbing companies.

Anyways, onto the 42 countries. This is translated from Dragon Book Z Volume 1. I put in the companies that were given (it's only for the 7 countries that had clips featured on the bonus disk).

North America

01. America – FUNimation Productions Inc.
02. Canada
03. Mexico

South America

04. Honduras
05. Venezuela
06. Brazil
07. Guatemala
08. El Salvador
09. Nicaragua
10. Costa Rica
11. Panama
12. Colombia
13. Ecuador
14. Peru
15. Chile
16. Paraguay
17. Argentina

Europe

18. Greece
19. Italy – Mediatrade Spa
20. Spain – AB Droits Audiovisuels
21. Portugal – AB Droits Audiovisuels
22. Switzerland
23. France – AB Droits Audiovisuels
24. Great Britain/United Kingdom
25. Holland/The Netherlands
26. Germany
27. Poland
28. Turkey
29. Cyprus

Asia, Oceania

30. Australia
31. New Zealand
32. Philippines
33. Indonesia
34. Singapore
35. Malaysia
36. Thailand
37. India
38. China – Toei Animation Enterprises Ltd.
39. Korea – 大元 C&A Holdings Co., Ltd.
40. Taiwan
41. Hong Kong

Africa

42. South Africa

I get the feeling that the Chinese and Korean companies might be backwards... They also accidentally highlighted Taiwan instead of China in the book. Pony Canyon, tisk tisk...

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:16 pm

Adding onto that list, we have Denmark (August 26th, 2002), Norway (late 2004, I believe) and Sweden (No idea when, but it's not too long ago.)

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:27 pm

DBW wrote:
Mike D wrote:So does Canada count as one, seeing as how there are more than one English dubbing company.

Anyways, onto the 42 countries. This is translated from Dragon Book Z Volume 1. I put in the companies that were given (it's only for the 7 countries that had clips featured on the bonus disk).

North America

02. Canada
03. Mexico

South America

04. Honduras
05. Venezuela
06. Brazil
07. Guatemala
08. El Salvador
09. Nicaragua
10. Costa Rica
11. Panama
12. Colombia
13. Ecuador
14. Peru
15. Chile
16. Paraguay
17. Argentina

Europe

18. Greece
22. Switzerland
26. Germany
27. Poland
28. Turkey
29. Cyprus

Asia, Oceania

30. Australia
31. New Zealand
32. Philippines
33. Indonesia
34. Singapore
35. Malaysia
36. Thailand
37. India
40. Taiwan
41. Hong Kong

Africa

42. South Africa

I get the feeling that the Chinese and Korean companies might be backwards... They also accidentally highlighted Taiwan instead of China in the book. Pony Canyon, tisk tisk...
A much more accurate source than mine. Mine was from the french version of Daizenshuu 7 that added in the little innacurate snippet of info I provided. It also came out in 1999 so it was outdated. Sorry for wasting everybody's time! :P

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:51 pm

Dayspring wrote:
3: Dutch
Belgium in 1988 on tv.
I think it must've been the french side of Belgium that got DB. >.> Since I've never, ever seen anything DB on belgian, well, flemish TV until Kanaal 2 got the rights to airing DBZ around 2001/2.. perhaps even 2003.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:23 pm

DBW wrote:

North America

02. Canada
03. Mexico

South America

04. Honduras
05. Venezuela
06. Brazil
07. Guatemala
08. El Salvador
09. Nicaragua
10. Costa Rica
11. Panama
12. Colombia
13. Ecuador
14. Peru
15. Chile
16. Paraguay
17. Argentina

Europe

18. Greece
22. Switzerland
26. Germany
27. Poland
28. Turkey
29. Cyprus

Asia, Oceania

30. Australia
31. New Zealand
32. Philippines
33. Indonesia
34. Singapore
35. Malaysia
36. Thailand
37. India
40. Taiwan
41. Hong Kong

Africa

42. South Africa

I believed it aired in the Dominican Republic of the Carribeans. I could of sworn seeing a DBGT episode there once. I believe they got the Mexican dub.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:45 pm

Sebastian (SB) wrote:I believed it aired in the Dominican Republic of the Carribeans. I could of sworn seeing a DBGT episode there once. I believe they got the Mexican dub.
The list only counts countries that have shown Dragon Ball Z (and Z only) up to January 2003. It's still entirely possible that countries are missing though, and I wouldn't really be surprised if there were. This just seems like one of those things that's very hard to keep track of...
Sorry for wasting everybody's time!
LOL, not at all! :D
Actually, I've always wondered if they show the French dub in Quebec? I travelled through the province several years back and remember seeing French Simpsons, French Dukes of Hazzard, etc. Do you know if French Dragonball is shown anywhere throughout Quebec?

PS: French Dukes of Hazzard is the greatest thing ever! :P

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:10 pm

Yes indeed they do. They were still showing it in the early mornings on one of the channels a while back actually. Though it was just the Saiyajin Saga in constant loop. Dammit! Now I've got that theme song stuck in my head! :x This is your fault Dayspring! :P
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:05 pm

DBW wrote:
Sebastian (SB) wrote:I believed it aired in the Dominican Republic of the Carribeans. I could of sworn seeing a DBGT episode there once. I believe they got the Mexican dub.
The list only counts countries that have shown Dragon Ball Z (and Z only) up to January 2003. It's still entirely possible that countries are missing though, and I wouldn't really be surprised if there were. This just seems like one of those things that's very hard to keep track of...
Yeah, but I'm still pretty sure they do still show all of DB up till now.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:03 pm

Just a list of dubs for the different languages in Spain:

-Castillian (Traditional Spanish)
-Catalan
-Euskera
-Galician
-Valencian

I also have a question:

Did all of South America use the Mexican dub? Also, did Brazil use Portugal's dub?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:15 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:Yes indeed they do. They were still showing it in the early mornings on one of the channels a while back actually. Though it was just the Saiyajin Saga in constant loop. Dammit! Now I've got that theme song stuck in my head! :x This is your fault Dayspring! :P
DOORANGONBOLLU ZED zed zed! Screw Engrishy: Frenchisy! :P

They showed the entire DB dub over here actually, though for some reason under the Z opening. o_O
I guess they had problems with getting rights to Z because they never passed the Saiyan Saga.