Kai Episode 39 (10 January 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Kai Episode 39 (10 January 2010)

Post by Khalid Shahin » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:08 am

新生ピッコロあらわる!激怒フリーザ第2の変身
Shinsei Pikkoro Arawaru! Gekido Furiiza Dai-Ni no Henshin
The Reborn Piccolo Arrives! A Furious Freeza's 2nd Transformation

Son Wukong
Regular

Re: Kai Episode 39 (10 January 2010)

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:03 pm

Damn good episode if you ask me. Reminds me of how much I like Piccolo as a character.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:16 pm

This episode wasn't really that special to me. I can't wait for next week! All sorts of favourite scenes will be passing by :D

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:37 pm

Honestly, I find Piccolo's fight with Freeza to be boring. You know he isn't going to win, it's already been well established that the others weren't going to, and you're just waiting around for Piccolo to get his ass kicked, while you wait for Goku to heal up. At least when Vegeta goes at him again you realize that he's going to be killed because he thinks he's a Super Saiyan and he's not, so that's interesting. Here, I just wanted Piccolo to fall already. The fight itself isn't even that remarkable.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:44 pm

penguintruth wrote:Honestly, I find Piccolo's fight with Freeza to be boring. You know he isn't going to win, it's already been well established that the others weren't going to, and you're just waiting around for Piccolo to get his ass kicked, while you wait for Goku to heal up. At least when Vegeta goes at him again you realize that he's going to be killed because he thinks he's a Super Saiyan and he's not, so that's interesting. Here, I just wanted Piccolo to fall already. The fight itself isn't even that remarkable.
I pretty much felt the same way. I'm mostly looking forward to the Freeza/Vegeta fight and the Goku/Freeza fight after that.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:48 pm

Some of the redrawn stuff in this episode looked awesome!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:23 am

They forgot Frieza's lips? Even if it was in the original, that actually makes it worse since the new animation is supposed to correct errors.

Also, why do they always choose such absolutely horrendous colors for the traced scenes? It makes them stand out even more, and the colors don't even look good on their own. Frieza's eyes are darker than the white parts of his body on that image...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:55 pm

penguintruth wrote:Honestly, I find Piccolo's fight with Freeza to be boring. You know he isn't going to win, it's already been well established that the others weren't going to, and you're just waiting around for Piccolo to get his ass kicked, while you wait for Goku to heal up. At least when Vegeta goes at him again you realize that he's going to be killed because he thinks he's a Super Saiyan and he's not, so that's interesting. Here, I just wanted Piccolo to fall already. The fight itself isn't even that remarkable.
You're kind of right with the Piccolo thing in a sense that we know how much Piccolo doesn't advance like Goku does later on in the series. But I think that at that point, viewers that are new to the show would have thought that Piccolo will have just as much chance as Goku would have done.

At the beginning of DBZ they were pretty much equal. Then Goku trained with King Kai and came back, after that... Goku also trained in 100x gravity, reaching to the stage in which he was fighting the Ginyu's. Then Piccolo comes back after training with King Kai whilst Goku is healing, then he fuses with Nail which is another power increase. Piccolo's confidence was immense after the fusion and we had no idea what this fusion was going to bring us. So in a sense they were pretty close in power.

Although, what's great is, Vegeta mentions that a Saiyan's power increases remarkably after healing from a close to death experience. So Goku's healing process is really in my viewpoint, how Goku was able to differentiate from what Piccolo was. However, I still think like you that the fight was boring... even though I think that they are close to equal in power.
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.