The Golden Age Of Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

The Golden Age Of Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:47 am

What do you think was the golden age of Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball? The best part of Dragon Ball, the one that had the essence of all that was good about Dragon Ball? It doesn't necessarily have to be your favourite one, just the part of the series that you think Toriyama put his most work into and delivered well.

I believe that the golden age of Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball was the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai Arc to the Saiyan Arc. Personally, I think that this is where the storytelling was at its best and the art style was of an excellent standard. The story flowed well and didn't use weak improvisations and poor, over-used plot devices like in the Freeza and Cell arcs. And the art style was top-notch and made me appreciate Toriyama's artistic talent.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: The Golden Age Of Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:57 pm

22nd Tenka-ichi Budokai, Piccolo Daimao and 23rd Tenka-ichi Budokai.

ssjcj
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjcj » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:45 pm

I'd say from the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai to the Saiya-jin arc. In terms of the storytelling and art style, I think that this is where he reached his peak at storytelling and, from a personal standpoint, the art is at its best.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:25 pm

I agree with the Piccolo Daimao/23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai/Saiyajin arcs. Definitely later DB and early Z. I kind of wish that art style stuck around a little longer.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:21 pm

23rd Budokai - The explosion of Namek.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:06 pm

Whenever I hear the word Dragon Ball the battles on Namek is usually the first that comes to my head. So I guess I will say the Freeza arc.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:41 pm

Definately the Tenkaichi Budokais. If I had to pick one it would be the 23rd, Akira Toriyama really knows how to draw a good tournament compared to other Shonen manga artists.

IncredibleGuy
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncredibleGuy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:24 am

Everything up to the Piccolo Jr. saga.
Signatures are stupid and I wish there was a way to turn them off
edit- neato

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:48 am

Piccolo Jr. Saga? Absolute awesome. In my opinion, all of the DB era stuff is the best. The story gets a little weak and repetitive around the Freeza and Cell sagas, but it picks right back up and goes out with a bang in the Buu arc.

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:06 am

Everything up until the introduction of the stupid 'sentou-ryoku' plot device.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:17 am

Savage68 wrote:Everything up until the introduction of the stupid 'sentou-ryoku' plot device.
What the hell does "sentou-ryoku" mean?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:54 am

Power Level/Battle Power.

But yeah, what's with the Japanese phonetic?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Savage68

Post by Savage68 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:18 pm

I have a habit of calling it 'sentou-ryoku' when I type it out. It just looks and sounds so much cooler to me.

:/

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:28 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Definately the Tenkaichi Budokais.
If the term "Tenkaichi Budokai" can be thrown around untranslated, then there's certainly nothing wrong with saying "sentou-ryoku", so you're good, Savage.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:31 pm

Same as the majority of you guys, from the 22nd Budokai to the 23rd. Although that isn't even my favorite part.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:43 pm

To me, the whole first half of Z.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:46 pm

While I think every part is good in its own way, I'd say the most entertaining, storywise, were the Tenkaichi Budokai arcs. In terms of drawing, I think 23rd Budokai through the first half of the Freeza arc is when Toriyama's drawing style looked the best. And in terms of fighting, the Saiya-jin fight is the best and most dramatic.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:41 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Definately the Tenkaichi Budokais.
If the term "Tenkaichi Budokai" can be thrown around untranslated, then there's certainly nothing wrong with saying "sentou-ryoku", so you're good, Savage.
Everybody here knows that the Tenkaichi Budokai is, that's the difference.
A good thing to do is to add a translation when you use a phrase or word that isn't widely used here.

The golden age of Dragonball for me would be from the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai until the end of Planet Namek. The rest seems too improvised and the plot seems like it was written day-by-day rather than being figured out beforehand.
But the parts I mentioned seem to have a "goal", if you get me.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:52 pm

Speaking strictly about the manga, I don't have any specific frame of "golden age" for the story. There were arcs I really enjoyed, and others I didn't enjoy as much.

I guess the longest stretch of good material was from the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai to the end of the Saiyan arc. However, my favorite part of DB is the Cell Games, and that doesn't occur until much later.

With the anime, it's more complicated due to filler. And Kai doesn't really do much to simplify it, since I feel some stuff Z handled better.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Savage68

Post by Savage68 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:06 pm

Everybody here knows that the Tenkaichi Budokai is, that's the difference.
A good thing to do is to add a translation when you use a phrase or word that isn't widely used here.
Pfft. If one can't infer what it means, they can't be older than 12, anyway.