US Broadcast of Dragon Ball Z Kai Speculation

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: US Broadcast of Dragon Ball Z Kai Speculation

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:05 pm

Greenman wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote: Not to mention all of those instances in the Namek saga where Vegeta throws around the word "damn". As well as the other characters that would also say "damn" and "piss".
And don't forget Krillin and Jeice both calling Vegeta a bastard on different occasions.
I mostly skipped the redub but I have to at least watch Sonny Strait's Kuririn call someone a bastard now. Was that a case of FUNimation translating a line with "bastard" in it or did they add that themselves?
They added it in. It was during the episode with the infamous "Lupin Vegeta" and Krillin sensed the Namekians being killed and he said, "That bastard, they didn't even have a chance!". And when Jeice called him a bastard, it was once again an occasion where Funi added it themselves. When Vegeta chopped Guldo's head off, Jeice said, "That crazy bastard killed Guldo!"
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:13 pm

Ok, thanks. I know exactly where to look now.

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:09 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Kendamu wrote:I distinctly remember the Cartoon Network UUC airing featuring Karin shouting, "Give 'em Hell, Goku!!"
Not to mention all of those instances in the Namek saga where Vegeta throws around the word "damn". As well as the other characters that would also say "damn" and "piss".
These episodes also were not aired on TV. (The Namek ones. I dunno about the Karin thing.)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:12 pm

ohaimynameiserik wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
Kendamu wrote:I distinctly remember the Cartoon Network UUC airing featuring Karin shouting, "Give 'em Hell, Goku!!"
Not to mention all of those instances in the Namek saga where Vegeta throws around the word "damn". As well as the other characters that would also say "damn" and "piss".
these episodes also were not aired on TV. (the namek ones, i dunno about the Karin thing)
Yes they were. They aired every "Ultimate Uncut" episode on Cartoon Network. Uncensored and everything.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:21 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Yes they were. They aired every "Ultimate Uncut" episode on Cartoon Network. Uncensored and everything.
Well I had no idea they did that, but it's good news.

If they find a time slot acceptable to air it completely uncensored, I'd be very happy.

If they air it with an edited dub track, I hope on the home releases they'll have the original uncensored track, like they do with One Piece and what not.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:56 pm

If Dragonball Kai is aired on Cartoon Network, it'd likely be at a 9:30PM slot just before Adult Swim with a TV-PG rating like the UUC stuff. Otherwise, it'll show up on Adult Swim.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:29 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
SilverPlaqueVII wrote: You forgot Kuririn saying "Oh Crap" on episode 78 of the Freeza Saga.

The World Strongest has Dr. Wheelo cursing.
Crap isn't a curse...
But you don't hear it on childrens programming...well, the only other instance I can think of is one time on "Hey Arnold" Harold says it.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:57 am

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:The World Strongest has Dr. Wheelo cursing.
I always thought it was interesting how they cleverly cut out the curse word in that movie on the Toonami broadcast.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:59 am

How is "crap" not cursing but "shit" is? It's the same fucking thing. Is "shit" really that much more extreme? Are there any more extreme words for feces?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:18 am

penguintruth wrote:How is "crap" not cursing but "shit" is? It's the same fucking thing. Is "shit" really that much more extreme? Are there any more extreme words for feces?
If someone could ever answer this question and not sound retarded, I'd be sooo happy.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:28 am

Shit and crap aren't extreme enough. They should use doody in Kai! Lolz.
Some words are offensive and some aren't. Doody isn't to anyone (I hope), while shit is offensive to a lot of people.
Crap is considered bad by some, but not a lot. And though I've only known one person who's thought it was a bad word, turd can appearantly be offensive.
I guess it's the same as how fuck is worse than damn.

Anyways, I think there's a chance of it airing. Hopefully with some natural sounding words. I hate it when an angry villain says something awkward.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:22 am

B wrote:
penguintruth wrote:How is "crap" not cursing but "shit" is? It's the same fucking thing. Is "shit" really that much more extreme? Are there any more extreme words for feces?
If someone could ever answer this question and not sound retarded, I'd be sooo happy.

Well..."Crap" isn't one of the seven of legend.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:46 am

Well, for some reason, some swear words are considered more offensive than others. In fact, some aren't even considered swear words (e.g. crap, piss). I've even heard some people use "friggin'" as a substitute to "fucking". "Heck" is practically the same as "hell", but some consider it less offensive. Even "bitch", considered by some to be on the level of "shit", is included in some pre-watershed soaps (at least, in the UK). Then again, bitch is the name for a female dog, so maybe that's why those soaps would include it.

At the end of the day, they are all "offensive" words, and if some people want to consider some on different levels, then that's their own personal judgement.

In terms of censorship, they would probably only censor the ones that are percieved as universally offensive (fuck, shit, bastard). Maybe they would leave in words like "damn" or "hell". Actually, scratch "hell", they probably wouldn't do that because they replaced Mr. Satan (*gasp*) with the H-word.

Yeah, censorship is a funny and inconsistent thing. Oh, hell, damn, fart!
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:17 pm

They call Hell Hell, so I don't see why someone couldn't say "what the hell?"
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:24 pm

B wrote:They call Hell Hell, so I don't see why someone couldn't say "what the hell?"
Well, Hell is actually the name of the place, there isn't any connotation with swearing when you're speaking of where all the Dragon Ball baddies go.

Also, it's a different context when you say "What the hell?"....even though, thinking about it, that phrase doesn't even really make sense...

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:25 pm

B wrote:They call Hell Hell, so I don't see why someone couldn't say "what the hell?"
Do they really? If so, wow, that's inconsistent. Oh yeah, no "Satan", but keep in "Hell", no-one will give a damn.

It's just like with Viz's inconsistent censoring. Son Goku's penis is allowed, but Bulma's breasts are not. Why the flying fuck is that?
Big Momma wrote:Well, Hell is actually the name of the place, there isn't any connotation with swearing when you're speaking of where all the Dragon Ball baddies go.

Also, it's a different context when you say "What the hell?"....even though, thinking about it, that phrase doesn't even really make sense...
Yeah, it's like with "bloody". When you use it alone, you're normally talking about...well, blood. Using it in a different "context", such as "What the bloody hell", is suddenly swearing. Inconsistent, perhaps?

"What the hell" doesn't make sense, really, like a lot of swears etc. "Fuck" is used in different contexts. "Fuck off" means go away, "fuck you" means...well, something like "screw you", perhaps. To "fuck" is to have sex. You get the idea. Wow, it seems our language has developed a lot since the old days...

Crazy shit. Hey, I just used "shit" in a different context to the normal "shit", which means faeces. :P
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:27 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Do they really? If so, wow, that's inconsistent. Oh yeah, no "Satan", but keep in "Hell", no-one will give a damn.

It's just like with Viz's inconsistent censoring. Son Goku's penis is allowed, but Bulma's breasts are not. Why the flying fuck is that?
Well, they do use both Hell and Satan in the uncut dub. In the edited, it's HFIL and Hercule.

EDIT: As for the manga, Goku's penis is presented in a non-sexual innocent way, he's a little boy, and it's drawn pretty crudely.

As for Bulma...well she's a little older, and every instance of her breasts are presented in an at least semi-sexual way...that, and she's a busty...um...*goes back and checks* 34-C. (I don't know bra sizes...I'm a guy.)

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:40 pm

Big Momma wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:

Well, they do use both Hell and Satan in the uncut dub. In the edited, it's HFIL and (the H-word).

EDIT: As for the manga, Goku's penis is presented in a non-sexual innocent way, he's a little boy, and it's drawn pretty crudely.

As for Bulma...well she's a little older, and every instance of her breasts are presented in an at least semi-sexual way...that, and she's a busty...um...*goes back and checks* 34-C. (I don't know bra sizes...I'm a guy.)
Well, in one case, Bulma's breasts are presented in a non-sexual way. That bit where Bulma is showering in front of the window, and Yamcha peeps up and freaks out. Same way Yamcha got annoyed at Goku for changing in public. I mean, yeah, it's different because Yamcha is freaking out because he just saw a woman's naked body, but still.

Then there's the Bulma flashing incident in the Baba Arc. Yes, Roshi did have a nosebleed, but, you know...it's not like he got an erection or anything (I think Toriyama cleverly used Roshi's spontaneous nosebleeds as a substitute for Roshi becoming erect, since it was a Shonen manga and, even by Japan's standards, you can't show an old man with a boner and let kids read it without dubbing it "hentai"...or can you...?).

But anyway, I still find it inconsistent. If you're gonna censor Bulma's breasts, you gotta censor Goku's dingaling. No double standards.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:47 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Well, in one case, Bulma's breasts are presented in a non-sexual way. That bit where Bulma is showering in front of the window, and Yamcha peeps up and freaks out. Same way Yamcha got annoyed at Goku for changing in public. I mean, yeah, it's different because Yamcha is freaking out because he just saw a woman's naked body, but still.
That's perhaps the one exception I was thinking of...but even then, you can't say there's absolutely nothing sexual meant by that.
Then there's the Bulma flashing incident in the Baba Arc. Yes, Roshi did have a nosebleed, but, you know...it's not like he got an erection or anything (I think Toriyama cleverly used Roshi's spontaneous nosebleeds as a substitute for Roshi becoming erect, since it was a Shonen manga and, even by Japan's standards, you can't show an old man with a boner and let kids read it without dubbing it "hentai"...or can you...?).
That's exactly what nearly every nosebleed in anime/manga stands for, pal. :P
That flashing in the Baba Arc was also used in a sexual way.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:53 pm

Well, nudity is nudity, but I see your point, Big Momma.