Kai Stopping at Freeza? Since When?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Kai Stopping at Freeza? Since When?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:38 pm

Personally, I hope they don't mess with the ending. While the new ending does have some slight improvements over the old one, I really disagree with its existance in the first place. Me no likes revisionism. But just out of curiosity, do the new tankobon releases have the original ending or the new one?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

SSVegetto
Banned

Post by SSVegetto » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:30 am

VegettoEX wrote:
coola wrote:Well,Akira Toriyama plan was to end Dragon Ball at Freeza {Dont know where this rumor come from} so maybe that`s the meaning of "Akira Toriyama cut" tagline?
We've been over this before in various threads, and is something I've been meaning to add to the "Rumor Guide" forever. There is no evidence to support this. Toriyama never said anything along those lines, no production materials hint at it, no references ever point to a legitimate source, etc. There's nothing ever said about it. It's all wild fan speculation.
Hujio wrote:I swear, this has to be by-and-far the biggest baseless rumor ever in the history of DragonBall. It is quoted as gospel on every forum across the internet, I'm sure in multiple languages. As Mike said, it's all wild fan speculation. And thanks to Kai, it is brought up more and more on these here forums more than I care it to be. :x

Baseless? I'm not so sure. Well, let me just ask you guys this or anyone else that wants to chime in on this. Because I remember people telling me the same thing that Akira Toriyama was suppose to end it at the Freeza arc. But he decided to keep it going because the ratings where so high. <- Of course that doesn't make any sense because the manga was probably ahead of the anime.

But anyways, the speculation suggested that it was suppose to end at the Freeza Arc. That Goku fulfilled the legend and he became a Super Saiyan. And also it was suppose to end with us wondering if Goku survived the planet. It just seemed like Akira Toriyama had planned that out and it was suppose to end there. That would be a great point to end it with Goku fulfilling the legend and the planet exploding at the end.

The scenes seemed to also suggest that too. After Goku couldn't get Freeza's ship to work, he then gave up and then he yelled at the end. Then the planet exploded. I don't know how exactly how it is in the manga with these scenes though. But in the anime it sure felt like it indicated like he didn't survive. Or at least the anime had the intent to leave us wondering.

But only after Akira Toriyama decided to continue the series, he made up an explanation later that skipped that scene with Goku giving up and yelling. Unless that was filller. But it seemed like it was all built up, and later Akira Toriyama changed his mind to continue the series, and then he had Goku jump out of the ship and see one of the Ginyu's pod... That is my theory.

I didn't even think this was actually a rumor at the time it was told to me. I thought it was true because it made sense. Also, wouldn't it be simple just to ask Akira Toriyama about it? Seems like it's really silly to have it as a rumor. If we can find out if it's true or not. I wonder if he has been asked this. You said Akira Toriyama didn't say anything to confirm it being true. But it also appears like he also didn't say it was false either. Correct me if I'm wrong though, but don't grill me, please! I'm just curious. I just think Akira Toriyama didn't have to say it to be true if the anime or the manga itself suggest that. But that doesn't necessarily make it a fact either.

Also I have talked to people that actually wish the series ended there and they also claimed there wasn't suppose to be something past a Super Saiyan. Super Saiyan was it, that was the legend. But for me I'm sure glad it was continued anyways.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:38 am

SSVegetto wrote:Baseless? I'm not so sure. Well, let me just ask you guys this or anyone else that wants to chime in on this. Because I remember people telling me the same thing that Akira Toriyama was suppose to end it at the Freeza arc.
Your entire post is null and void after this statement.

That's the whole point of the problem, right there.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Khalid Shahin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:20 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
SSVegetto wrote:Baseless? I'm not so sure. Well, let me just ask you guys this or anyone else that wants to chime in on this. Because I remember people telling me the same thing that Akira Toriyama was suppose to end it at the Freeza arc.
Your entire post is null and void after this statement.

That's the whole point of the problem, right there.
So he's not supposed to listen to what other people say and listen to what other people say? ;O

But I understand, that is how baseless beliefs occur.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:56 pm

SSVegetto wrote:But anyways, the speculation suggested that it was suppose to end at the Freeza Arc. That Goku fulfilled the legend and he became a Super Saiyan. And also it was suppose to end with us wondering if Goku survived the planet. It just seemed like Akira Toriyama had planned that out and it was suppose to end there. That would be a great point to end it with Goku fulfilling the legend and the planet exploding at the end.
It would have been a pretty terrible place to end the story. Goku dying leaves two psycho killers on Earth with nobody strong enough to stand up to either of them.

But now that I think about it, Piccolo was stronger than Vegeta at that point and he did have some good influence from Nail.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:03 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:
SSVegetto wrote:But anyways, the speculation suggested that it was suppose to end at the Freeza Arc. That Goku fulfilled the legend and he became a Super Saiyan. And also it was suppose to end with us wondering if Goku survived the planet. It just seemed like Akira Toriyama had planned that out and it was suppose to end there. That would be a great point to end it with Goku fulfilling the legend and the planet exploding at the end.
It would have been a pretty terrible place to end the story. Goku dying leaves two psycho killers on Earth with nobody strong enough to stand up to either of them.

But now that I think about it, Piccolo was stronger than Vegeta at that point and he did have some good influence from Nail.
This is assuming that the ending would literally be unchanged aside from Goku and Freeza actually dying. The theory I've heard is that Piccolo died from Freeza's attack, preventing Saichoro and everyone else Freeza killed from being wished back to life. Gohan and Bulma head for Earth in Goku's spaceship, leaving Freeza and Goku alone on Namek. Goku kills Freeza, but has no way to leave the planet. The Legendary Super Saiyan dies in the planet's explosion, and Gohan is left as Earth's only remaining warrior. I think it's a pretty good ending personally. No bullshit obviously shoehorned in "Freeza's terror caused Saichoro to die a few days early!" explanation, and Super Saiyan would remain something that appears in one Saiyan every thousand years. It also would've led to a much more interesting GT, where Gohan has to learn to be a hero in his father's stead.
­

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:03 pm

Wow. I suppose that really would have left every single main character dead, wouldn't it? It'd be like Transformers: The Movie.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:16 pm

Innagadadavida wrote: But now that I think about it, Piccolo was stronger than Vegeta at that point and he did have some good influence from Nail.
IIRC wasn't Vegeta the stronger one?
Yeah that wouldn't have been a good open ending. At least, in my opinion.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:24 pm

It seemed to me that it wouldn't make sense to have ended it at Freeza, since the story had been building Gohan up, and the Cell arc was the more logical conclusion.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:15 am

Taku128 wrote:This is assuming that the ending would literally be unchanged aside from Goku and Freeza actually dying. The theory I've heard is that Piccolo died from Freeza's attack, preventing Saichoro and everyone else Freeza killed from being wished back to life. Gohan and Bulma head for Earth in Goku's spaceship, leaving Freeza and Goku alone on Namek. Goku kills Freeza, but has no way to leave the planet. The Legendary Super Saiyan dies in the planet's explosion, and Gohan is left as Earth's only remaining warrior. I think it's a pretty good ending personally. No bullshit obviously shoehorned in "Freeza's terror caused Saichoro to die a few days early!" explanation, and Super Saiyan would remain something that appears in one Saiyan every thousand years. It also would've led to a much more interesting GT, where Gohan has to learn to be a hero in his father's stead.
That's one theory. The other is that Piccolo would have still lived and the wish to bring back those killed by Freeza would have still happened, but Guru would have stayed dead this time. Thus no more Namekian Dragonballs. So everyone but Goku and Krillin would have been revived after Freeza. That still leaves Vegeta as a bit of an issue but I think Gohan and Piccolo could have taken him at that point, anyway.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:17 am

penguintruth wrote:It seemed to me that it wouldn't make sense to have ended it at Freeza, since the story had been building Gohan up, and the Cell arc was the more logical conclusion.
There's really very little of this in the manga version of the Saiyan and Freeza arcs. It shouldn't be up to Toriyama to follow through on something Toei started.
Xyex wrote:
Taku128 wrote:This is assuming that the ending would literally be unchanged aside from Goku and Freeza actually dying. The theory I've heard is that Piccolo died from Freeza's attack, preventing Saichoro and everyone else Freeza killed from being wished back to life. Gohan and Bulma head for Earth in Goku's spaceship, leaving Freeza and Goku alone on Namek. Goku kills Freeza, but has no way to leave the planet. The Legendary Super Saiyan dies in the planet's explosion, and Gohan is left as Earth's only remaining warrior. I think it's a pretty good ending personally. No bullshit obviously shoehorned in "Freeza's terror caused Saichoro to die a few days early!" explanation, and Super Saiyan would remain something that appears in one Saiyan every thousand years. It also would've led to a much more interesting GT, where Gohan has to learn to be a hero in his father's stead.
That's one theory. The other is that Piccolo would have still lived and the wish to bring back those killed by Freeza would have still happened, but Guru would have stayed dead this time. Thus no more Namekian Dragonballs. So everyone but Goku and Krillin would have been revived after Freeza. That still leaves Vegeta as a bit of an issue but I think Gohan and Piccolo could have taken him at that point, anyway.
That makes no sense though, the Earth Dragon Balls can only make one wish. They'd all be stuck on Namek.
­

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:40 am

Taku128 wrote:That makes no sense though, the Earth Dragon Balls can only make one wish. They'd all be stuck on Namek.
Well, they could just use the Earth DBs to revive ONLY those killed by the Saiya-jins on Earth and not worry about the Namekians. Thus Bulma and Gohan escape on Goku's ship and Vegeta's never revived.
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Good point.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:56 am

Makaioshin wrote:IIRC wasn't Vegeta the stronger one?
Yeah that wouldn't have been a good open ending. At least, in my opinion.
I think Piccolo was stronger after he fused with Nail. He was on par with second form Freeza and Vegeta was not.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:13 am

Sorry, but I think that after Vegeta got healed by Dende, he was stronger than Piccolo.
Last edited by coola on Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:43 am

Pffft. Stronger my eye. You can't go from shitting your pants at first form Freeza to being able to hold your own against second form from a single zenkai.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:28 pm

Why not? If Goku can go from 90.000 to about 3.000.000? I'm sorry for offtopic,it is the last time :oops:
JulieYBM: Thank you,fixed
Last edited by coola on Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:32 pm

...what? Vegeta--after being healed by Dende--was stronger than Piccolo. There's just no getting around that. He proved he could keep up with a blast Freeza sent Gohan's way and amazed Piccolo with his strength.

coola wrote:Why not? If Goku can go from 60.000 to about 4.000.000? I'm sorry for offtopic,it is the last time :oops:

He went from 90,000 to 3,000,000.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:54 pm

JulieYBM wrote:...what? Vegeta--after being healed by Dende--was stronger than Piccolo. There's just no getting around that. He proved he could keep up with a blast Freeza sent Gohan's way and amazed Piccolo with his strength.
Yeah, Vegeta was knocking Gohan out of the way of attacks Piccolo didn't even notice were happening (by kicking him in the face, natch).

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:19 pm

Yeah. Vegeta's Zenkai after the "Krillin ex Machina™" blast is smaller than Goku's (IMO, around 400,000 to around 1.7 million) and smaller, as well, than the one he got post-Recoome fight. So it's not without precedent. Absurd, yes, but not without precedent. He was certainly stronger than Piccolo at that point. Piccolo couldn't even keep up with 3rd Form Freeza, let alone track 4th Form Freeza's movements, but Vegeta could.
<Xyex> Good point.