FUNimation dub of Kai vs full/original DBZ accuracy

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tsukento
I Live Here

Re: FUNimation dub of Kai vs full/original DBZ accuracy

Post by Tsukento » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:50 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:Honestly, even if Toriyama did explicitly choose the attack name to honor King Kamehameha, the fact is they still pronounce it the way they do, and that's really all that matters.
Well...they also pronounce it 'Seru' and 'Torankusu'...
Blah! The attack is Kamehame-Ha (KAH-meh-HAH-me-HAH), not Kamehameha (kah-MEH-hah-MEH-hah).
Notice how they're written differently in Japanese: かめはめ波 (Kamehame-Ha) versus カメハメハ (Kamehameha). The 波 (ha) means wave by the way.
Uh, I'd say the bigger problem is how it's pronounced in the English dubs.

It seems to be said as "Kah-may-ah-may-ah" when spoken quickly, and when done as the attack, it's spoken as "Kah-may-hah-may-ha." Either way, it should always be said as "Kah-meh-ha-meh-ha."

It's basically the same issue with Kaio-Ken and Saiyan.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:56 am

Well I was commenting on what Rocketman kept saying about Kamehame-Ha being pronounced correctly in the dub because it "isn't a Japanese word". I guess it kinda looked like I was complaining about the spelling... Lol.

But I agree with you that it's important that they get their pronunciations correct. I want to hear Kamehame-Ha, Saiyan, Kaioh, and Son pronounced correctly. Also, a little Kinto-Un and Nyoi-Boh would be nice as well. :D
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

PatPat
Not-So-Newbie

Post by PatPat » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:18 pm

sailorspazz wrote:
Big Momma wrote:
If you're talking about how he got the name "Kamehameha", I was pretty sure he stated in an interview somewhere that his wife had suggested the name...and that it was from the name of the Hawaiian king. I could be wrong, though.
From what I remember (from an Animerica interview, I think?) was that it was indeed his wife who mentioned the name. However, I don't think it said that she got it from the Hawaiian king. From what I remember, he was trying to come up with the attack name, and wanted it to start with 'Kame', and she suggested that it should rhyme, like 'kamehame' or something. Maybe she was unconsciously recalling the name of Kamehameha, but it appears it was never intentional for the two to have the same name. Perhaps I should dig out my old Animericas sometime to see if I'm remembering this correctly....

Q: How do you think up the names for the special attacks?
A: I actually don't really like to give names to the techniques. In a battle of life and death, there's no way you can say the name of each technique. You'd be done in while yelling the technique's name. (laughs) But my editor told me it was best to give the techniques names. My wife was the one who named the Kamehameha. I was fretting, saying "Kame-sennin's special attack should be something-or-another ha, something-or-another ha..." and she said "Wouldn't Kamehameha be good?". That was good, silly, and fitted Kame-sennin's mood perfectly.

I think this is the interview you're referring to.
http://www.kanzentai.com/trans-daiz04.p ... =interview
Super Vegito wrote:
Fox666 wrote:Yeah, I am 21 and stay at my parents house playing videogame and arguing on the internet
I hope that's sarcasm.