What's The First Episode You Watched? (When/Dub/Scene?)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Char Aznable
Regular

Re: What's The First Episode You Watched? (When/Dub/Scene?)

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:52 pm

My memory may be a bit fuzzy, but I believe I caught an episode of Dragon Ball one afternoon. I can't remember which episode it could've possibly been though, but obviously it was one of the first thirteen.

Fast forward maybe one or two years later, I was getting ready for school one morning and caught the second episode of Dragon Ball Z. Ironically, as Goku and Piccolo were in their standoff with Raditz as he gloated over how strong he was, I remember thinking '...when are they going to get back to finding the Dragon Balls?'

Oh, grade school self. If only you knew.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:25 pm

Dragonball Episode 1 in Castilian Spanish when it first aired in Madrid.

piccolo-san785
Beyond Newbie

Post by piccolo-san785 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:28 pm

I don't exactly remember the episode number but I think it was around when the Ginyu Force arrived on namek.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: What's The First Episode You Watch?When?What DUB?What Scene?

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:06 pm

desirecampbell wrote:First episode, Dragon Ball; 1996 I guess?; The second NA English dub (Not Harmony Gold, the next one - was it Ocean doing that? I can't remember.); from the opening credits baby.
It was the FUNimation dub (first attempt) and it aired in 1995, not 1996. I began with that myself. I only watched the first episode though. I thought it was weird. Probably 'cause of the odd looking, shaky underwear, and the fact that Gokuh had a tail. Lol.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

ChouGohan

Post by ChouGohan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:22 pm

I could be making this up because the memory feels hazy, but looking on an episode list with DB Wiki to help me, it was Episode 127 ("Borrowed Powers") of the Cartoon Network dub to help me, it was October 6, 2000. That feels about right, anyway, it was the episode Cell absorbs that man in front of Piccolo, and the earliest one I remember. Oddly enough, as a very small kid, I didn't feel that scared when the man was being absorbed with the eerie music playing. I watched very little of Dragon Ball after that, because it was late when I managed to watch it, however, oddly enough, I became a serious fan starting September 10, 2001, which was my birthday. That was called "Warriors of the Dead", and looking at the ones coming after, I clearly remember the next few after that. It feels pretty good to remember all those good times with DBZ back in the day.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:15 pm

I don't remember the first episode I watched, because it was only part of an episode. All I remember was it was somewhere in Z during the Saiyan arc on Cartoon Network.

The first episode I saw all the way through was Episode 75 (61 in the dub), which is the one where Gohan, Kuririn, and Dende sneak off with the dragonballs while Vegeta is taking a nap. According to Wikipedia, it aired on September 21, 1999. I starting watching the series regularly after that.

Definitely not a bad episode to start off on if I do say so myself. Even though I'm a fan of the original version now, I really miss the Toonami days.... :(

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:35 pm

The first episode I remember seeing was, I believe, dub episode #8: "Home for Infinite Losers". Or at least somewhere around that area right after Toonami first started airing DBZ. I remember at first thinking the similarly outfitted kid to the spiky-haired protagonist must be his son, but then, in the "Princess Snake's Hospitality" episode, it showed his son to be a smaller kid with a tail and a yellow tunic, so it must have been someone completely different! :lol:

I watched sporadically for a little while. I remember catching the episode where Popo and Bulma were heading to Jupiter in Kami-sama spaceship and having no idea who those characters were. It reminded me of watching reruns of Robotech where the cast would suddenly change (if only I knew why...).
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:54 pm

Oh dear Lord, making me remember my first episode, how dare you.... :P

I remember bits and pieces from the Buu arc when it was shown on Toonami, and one that sticks out. The SSJ3 Goku episode, that made me shit my pants with excitement for what was next.
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:53 am

I think it was one of the episodes where Goku was fighting Freeza in Season 3 circa 1999.

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:57 am

My first exposure to Dragon Ball was actually during the original syndicated run of Dragon Ball in 1995. It was airing in Las Vegas at around 11:00 AM or noonish. I was just flipping through the channels, and stopped flipping when a saw a cute, flying, blue cat sneaking around outside an RV in the middle of the desert. I thought it was hilarious, so I tried to keep watching, but it was randomly not on.

Then in 1996, I happened to randomly encounter the original run of syndicated Dragon Ball Z at 6:00 AM. I realized this was some sort of continuation of Dragon Ball, and the blue cat was still there, so I tuned in every morning, and fell in love with it.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:41 am

I can't exactly remember, since it was many years ago, but I think the first full episode I had caught was way ahead in the Boo Arc, FUNimation dub, when Gohan was getting powered up by Old Kai, and Goten & Trunks were Fusion training for their fight with Boo. Before that, all I had seen of the anime was stuff off of Youtube and short clips.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:56 am

My first time witnessing Dragonball was back around 1996 or 1997, because I remember watching DBZ after viewing Mega Man when it was still on TV. Then I began watching it during the mornings (around 6:30 A.M.) on weekdays, and they mostly showed the Freeza/Ginyu Arc.
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:26 am

German dub of Dragon Ball, I can't remember the number of the episode, but it was that episode where Tao Pai Pai killed General Blue with his tongue. It's around 90's.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:10 pm

The first full episode I watched was episode 71 of Dragon Ball (Portugal dub), but before that, I saw a few scenes of Goku climbing Karin Tower.

DBfan4life
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBfan4life » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:03 am

The very first episode I watched was when Goku and Piccolo were fighting Raditz. It was the ocean dub on Toonami (Man do I miss Toonami) and I just was amazed. I remember I was thinking wow that guy just shot something out of his hand (Goku using Kamehameha) and the fighting just got me hooked.

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:10 am

On TV I saw the FUNimation dub of DBZ, don't recall the number or title, but it's the episode in which 18 is absorbed by Cell.

DbzFanboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by DbzFanboy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:15 am

It was I believe 97' and they were airing the Ocean dub episodes on Wb Sunday Mornings. I'm not exactly sure what episode it was but I believe it was either the filler where Vegeta is heading towards earth or when Krillin, Piccolo and Gohan were fighting Nappa.
FOREVER FORNEVER

Jurik
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jurik » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:31 am

First Dragon Ball episode on his first airing on Mexico, obviously with mexican dub :P

mister yummy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mister yummy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:12 pm

It was the episode where Piccolo and Gohan are watching Yamcha fighting, and Piccolo tells gohan how to see them. It was the first Funimation dub, back in 2001 or so.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:48 pm

Well, my first exposure to Dragonball *period* was when a friend of mine brought over the videogame, "Dragonball GT: Final Bout." More on that later, though.

My first actual episode was a rerun on Cartoon Network back in late 1998/early 1999. The edited Saban Era Ocean Dub. It was the episode when Vegeta landed on Namek and killed Cui. I didn't know who anyone was (at first I thought Goku was Gohan's older brother), so I just thought Vegeta was badass and rooted for him for a while in all of his fights.

Interesting Notes:
-My friend brought over the Playstation game, "Dragonball GT: Final Bout," and that was my first exposure to Dragon Ball. There, I got to see a bunch of future characters and a bunch of characters in future forms, like Super Saiyan Goku and Final Form Freeza. Flash forward a few months, you could imagine my confusion when I see these characters and they look nothing like they do in the game. When Freeza reached his Final Form in the actual anime, I remember my mouth dropping a little, because he finally looked like how I was first introduced to him. It was kind of cool, like the game had been a glimpse into the future, and like a prophecy was coming true. I was very excited to see Goku become a Super Saiyan in the anime for the exact same reason.

-I didn't know until many years later that the phrase, "The Next Dimension," was supposed to be a cover-up for death, but not in the way you're thinking. I thought it was quite obvious that the characters were being killed and dying, and that saying things like "Next Dimension" was just a way to make the words "killing" and "dying" sound cool. I had no idea it was part of a censorship effort, and when I found that out I was like, "WHAT? That's lame! It was obvious they were dying!"

-It took me a while to figure out Gohan's relation to Goku. Like I said earlier, I thought Goku was Gohan's brother. This is because the first time I saw Chi Chi, she struck me as acting very motherly towards Goku in the hospital, and she said, "You remind me of raising Gohan when he was little." The fact that Vegeta referred to Gohan as, the "son of Kakarott" didn't help things in that regard. I assumed that this Kakarott, whoever he was, was Goku and Gohan's father and that he was either killed or hadn't appeared on screen since I started watching.

-My friend, who watched the Ocean Dub of "Dragon Ball," and all of the previous episodes, had to fill me in on who a lot of the characters were. It's funny to look back on those days when I had no idea how huge an impact the show would have on my life.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."