Just how far did Freeza's empire reach?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ShonenKnife
Not-So-Newbie

Just how far did Freeza's empire reach?

Post by ShonenKnife » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:00 am

So I was over on the general discussion board, reading the topic on GT villains' screentime, when I got thinking about a post someone made about the seeming ignorance of the history of Freeza's empire. My GT chops are a bit rusty nowadays, but as I recall the Black Star Dragonballs spread around the galaxy after use, which I assume meant the North Galaxy.

What I realised is that I can't recall any mention of just what planets/quadrants Freeza's empire had siezed. North Kaio was obviously aware of Freeza, so without having to do any research, I gathered that Freeza's influence had spread to the North Galaxy, if not held root there. However, I can't find any evidence, or have completely missed any mention of such, that Freeza was based in the North Galaxy.

This might be a completely frivolous question, but I've come across worse examples. I just wanna know what people think.
What does the scouter say about his blood alcohol level?
Eddie wrote:SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Standing on exploding planets may put your health at risk. Pregnant women, or women who may become pregnant (possibly by a spiky haired alien with a penchant for murder & destruction) should get the f*** off of said planet. If you find yourself on an exploding planet, get your ass to the dancing purple man's ship and leave immediately.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Just how far did Freeza's empire reach?

Post by Bussani » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:32 am

Was it specifically said that the ultimate/black star balls only spread themselves across a single galaxy? I never remember details from GT...

Well, we obviously know that Earth is in the North galaxy. Most of us think that Namek was in a different galaxy, since Kaio says that the area it's in is outside of his jurisdiction. Vegeta and Freeza clearly know of Planet Namek's existence, though, and we can probably say that they knew of Earth, since Goku was sent there to conquer it and Raditz later followed to pick him up. Taking all that into account, I don't think it would be unreasonable to assume that Freeza's empire wasn't confined to a single galaxy.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:01 pm

Hmm, I never heard of Namek being in a different galaxy. I was going to say that of course Freeza's empire was the northern galaxy, but if Namek is outside of that galaxy, then I may have to reconsider. Consider that the planet that Vegeta and Nappa were conquering was a year's travel from earth. And then consider that it took Vegeta a month and ten days or so to get from Earth to Freeza 79 to Namek. So that seems to imply that both those places are much closer than the planet they were conquering (for Freeza). So if Namek is outside of the galaxy, then that planet was WAY out of the galaxy, which would imply that Freeza's empire extends beyond it as well.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Post by Vegeta Jr » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:02 pm

I doubt it stretched anywhere outside of the North quadrant, in fact it was probably less than a quarter of the North galaxy otherwise the Kai's would have stepped in.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:35 pm

Freeza's empire spans multiple galaxies. There are more than just four. Remember that there's no plural in Japanese.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Vegeta Jr wrote:I doubt it stretched anywhere outside of the North quadrant, in fact it was probably less than a quarter of the North galaxy otherwise the Kai's would have stepped in.
Why would the Kais step in? Freeza wasn't breaking any universal laws. He was well within his rights as a mortal to conquer the lower universe if he felt like it.
Gaffer Tape wrote:Hmm, I never heard of Namek being in a different galaxy. I was going to say that of course Freeza's empire was the northern galaxy, but if Namek is outside of that galaxy, then I may have to reconsider.
Well, I thought it might have been a bit of conjecture, but I checked one of Herms' threads and found that it is pretty solid reasoning after all.
Herms wrote:The DB Earth is located on the outskirts of the North Galaxy, which Daizenshuu 7 says is home to many beautiful planets like it. Other than that though, there’s not much mention of what specific galaxies planets are located in. Planet Namek, however, is located somewhere outside the North Galaxy. During the end of the Freeza arc, North Kaio explains that he can’t do anything to help revive Goku or Kuririn because they died on Plant Namek, which is outside of his region. Some translations make it sound like Kaio is referring to the area of death as being outside his jurisdiction (it being Enma’s duty), but the word for “region” used, 地域/chi’iki, implies a physical region. What’s more, Bulma flat-out says shortly thereafter that Planet Namek is located outside of Kaio’s region, but this line is left out in Viz’s translation.

If Planet Namek isn’t located in the North Galaxy, where is it? The maps of the DB world that have planets labeled always show Earth and Namek as being on opposite sides of one of the galaxy-dividing lines etched into the macrocosm’s side, so going by that Namek would be in either the East or West Galaxy, but we can’t tell which from the map’s side-perspective. However, the Elder Kaioshin says that he warned the Namekians about using the dragonballs, and since he’s supposed to be the East Kaioshin of 15 generations ago, it would be logical for Namek to therefore be in his region. So overall I think the best guess is that Namek is located in the East Galaxy. The map of the DB world also shows Planet Vegeta and Planet Freeza No.79 as being with Namek on the other side of the galaxy-dividing line, so they’d probably be there as well.
I think that really is about all we know when it comes to Freeza's empire.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:21 pm

So does that mean that Freeza's empire had not yet extended into the North Galaxy at all?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:31 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:So does that mean that Freeza's empire had not yet extended into the North Galaxy at all?
I don't think we can be sure. We at least know that Goku's pod was sent to Earth to conquer it, but that could have just been one of their first steps into the north galaxy.

If you think about it, though, Goku's ship based on the space-pod technology took 6 days to reach Namek. It took Vegeta and Nappa a year to reach Earth. They must have been conquering a planet pretty far away. Could Freeza's empire span that far?

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:32 pm

Dayspring wrote:Freeza's empire spans multiple galaxies. There are more than just four.
There are just four, in Dragon Ball.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
Dayspring wrote:Freeza's empire spans multiple galaxies. There are more than just four.
There are just four, in Dragon Ball.
So Kaio presides over all one of the galaxies in the Northern Eria? It doesn't make sense to say the Northern Galaxy is in the Northern Eria, unless one the term galaxy was plural.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:26 am

Dayspring wrote:It doesn't make sense to say the Northern Galaxy is in the Northern Eria
It is the Northern Area.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:19 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
Dayspring wrote:It doesn't make sense to say the Northern Galaxy is in the Northern Eria
It is the Northern Area.
Hence my point.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:50 pm

Hold on - were Frieza and his father ruling over the same empire, or was Frieza's simply a division of his dad's?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:33 pm

Zephyr wrote:Hold on - were Freeza and his father ruling over the same empire, or was Freeza's simply a division of his dad's?
Same one. Cold ran things from the shadows, so even the vast majority of the empire thought it was just Freeza.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:16 pm

Dayspring wrote:
Zephyr wrote:Hold on - were Freeza and his father ruling over the same empire, or was Freeza's simply a division of his dad's?
Same one. Cold ran things from the shadows, so even the vast majority of the empire thought it was just Freeza.
Okay, that's what I figured. I suppose they were also unaware of Cooler as well (assuming he's canon), as he was more powerful than his younger brother, and the soldiers always regard Frieza as the most powerful being in the universe.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:44 pm

Dayspring wrote:Hence my point.
I don't see your point.
There are four areas/galaxies total.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:41 am

[quote="Bussani"]
Why would the Kais step in? Freeza wasn't breaking any universal laws. He was well within his rights as a mortal to conquer the lower universe if he felt like it.

Then why did they step in with Buu?

Fin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fin » Thu May 06, 2010 5:15 am

I would imagine because Boo actually threatened the existence of the universe.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu May 06, 2010 6:32 am

ringworm128 wrote:
Then why did they step in with Buu?
Buu, with the guidance of his creator (and even without it), was capable of destroying not only the entire mortal world but all the other realms as well.

Freeza just destroyed the occasional planet/race. He was "ruling" the (mortal) universe and making profits out of it. He wasn`t going to destroy it.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu May 06, 2010 7:43 am

Dayspring wrote:Freeza's empire spans multiple galaxies. There are more than just four. Remember that there's no plural in Japanese.
So is the DB universe only as big as a basketball or something? Or have they fucked up and confused a solar system with a galaxy?