Dragon Ball Z Kai 2 DVD and Blu Ray out Sept 14

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Z Kai 2 DVD and Blu Ray out Sept 14

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:54 am

Well, at least we're getting consistent cover art, which can't exactly be said for earlier releases of the other series. While I don't find the new artwork super-awesome, I am somewhat digging the whole "minimalistic" style of design for the US Kai releases, especially for the discs themselves.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:47 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:Ew... The new cover art has a constipated Vegeta. :(
Wouldn't be the first time........

It's really a shame though, because the Goku on box 1 was awesome.

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:24 pm

Eh, the cover for the second release is fine. It captures that moment of realization for Vegeta during that particular episode. Some of you are just too nitpicky.

Treklin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Treklin » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:04 pm

I don't think that this is an official cover art from Funimation because Vegeta looks very cheap.
The word "KAI" means in the old North Germanic language Frisian "Kämpfer engl. Fighter" respectively "Krieger engl. Warrior"!

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:53 pm

I really hate FUNimation's cover art for volume 2, so I decided to mock-up my own version of the cover art. This one's a work in progress, I'm gonna try to alter Vegeta's color scheme to better fit the style of FUNi's Kai boxart.

­

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:56 pm

Before I read the text, I assumed FUNimation actually changed it, because it looks so much more official than the official cover, but I was disappointed when I read it was only a mock-up you did... :cry:

It's so much better than the official art.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:01 pm

It is official art! it use on DBK Blu-Ray box 2!
And I already know it's a fan work when I saw it because it's the one use on DBK Blu-Ray box 2!
Last edited by Goku100xKamehameha on Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:19 pm

I scrolled down the page, saw that cover and thought "Nice, FUNimation changed the cover art". That looks so much better! :D

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:37 pm

Sigh, yeah. That is so much better than the official art. And, actually, if you ask me, leave the color scheme the way it is. I think it looks better that way.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:41 pm

Messed around with the color of Vegeta's skin and armor to better fit with the color scheme of volume one, but didn't go quite as far as the actual volume two box art. I might mess with Vegeta's hair later, but if not this is the final version.

­

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:45 pm

The armor a little to bright, dark it a little

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:46 pm

I actually prefer the original color scheme you used. Everything else in the image are composed of such bold, primary colors that a dingier-looking Vegeta is actually a nice contrast. A bright Vegeta is just too overpowering.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:47 pm

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:The armor a little to bright, dark it a little
I'm starting to think that too, but I'm too lazy to go fix it. :P Maybe tomorrow...
Gaffer Tape wrote:I actually prefer the original color scheme you used. Everything else in the image are composed of such bold, primary colors that a dingier-looking Vegeta is actually a nice contrast. A bright Vegeta is just too overpowering.
I was trying to make it fall in line with FUNimation's cover for volume one. Personally I like the altered version, but I understand the appeal of the original colors as well.
­

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:58 am

Please send that to FUNi, Taku.

Treklin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Treklin » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:08 pm

Taku128 wrote:Messed around with the color of Vegeta's skin and armor to better fit with the color scheme of volume one, but didn't go quite as far as the actual volume two box art. I might mess with Vegeta's hair later, but if not this is the final version.

OMG! That looks fantastic!!!
First I saw this I thought too that Funimation changed the cover but yeah ...
Please send it to Funimation but I think Funimation has saw this amazing cover already.

Can we start a poll or a campaign that Funimation should use this (original) DB Kai BD Box 2 Vegeta instead of this "Over 9,000" crap ???
The word "KAI" means in the old North Germanic language Frisian "Kämpfer engl. Fighter" respectively "Krieger engl. Warrior"!

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:37 pm

I think Toei wouldn't give FUNi permission to do that

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:42 pm

TOEi has nothing to do with cover art... at all...
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:46 pm

So they let FUNi copied their cover art?

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:18 pm

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:So they let FUNi copied their cover art?
Funimation did the art themselves...
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

dragonpiece
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonpiece » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:23 pm

Wow, I love your cover TONS BETTER, I really wish for you send that in to FUNimaton because it looks PERFECT!
Twitter.com/Dragonpiece