If GT didn't exist...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Sun May 08, 2005 3:07 pm

There were two things about the GT ending:
It was great. Final. It was an ending. But then again it wasn't. When I first saw it and the narrator goes all "...and Goku is always there to protect the world from danger, should it need it." (or something. Forgive the lack of research on my part) and that made me feel,
"Wow, there could actually be more of a continuation. i then heard rumors of AF and stuff and fuck I believed 'em. I searched for a good week and a half on the internet for episodes when I finnaly realised "this is a load of BS!!"
And also I thought to myself, even if they did continue it, everyone would be dead or seriously old!!
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

WhatTheDarn
Not-So-Newbie

Post by WhatTheDarn » Sun May 08, 2005 3:48 pm

VegettoEX wrote:The ending to GT far surpasses the crap that Toriyama-sensei wrote to end the actual series with... even taking into consideration the re-write in the kanzenban.
Personally, I liked the Z ending more. I mean, which sounds better?

1) Goku goes full circle from student to teacher, and trains the next generation to defend Earth.

Or...

2) Everyone dies.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sun May 08, 2005 3:50 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:GT sucks! GT sucks!

<_<

It does...
This was not an invitation to try and be "funny" and be a jackass.
The irony is killing me!

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Sun May 08, 2005 3:51 pm

But then again it wasn't. When I first saw it and the narrator goes all "...and Goku is always there to protect the world from danger, should it need it." (or something. Forgive the lack of research on my part)
Well, that line was only in the dub. The original said nothing of the sort.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 08, 2005 4:09 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan, if you have nothing constructive to add, you have nothing to add.
WhatTheDarn wrote:Personally, I liked the Z ending more. I mean, which sounds better?

1) Goku goes full circle from student to teacher, and trains the next generation to defend Earth.

Or...

2) Everyone dies.
It wasn't that everyone died :). It's that Goku truly became the Earth's "protector" in more than a typical way; it's almost as if he's spiritually over-seeing the entire growth of the planet down through the generations. I like how Goku came to be a "teacher" at the end of the series (DB/Z), but another example of Goku ignoring his family to be the typical selfish ass he is just to have another great fight? Whatever. I'd rather see him abandon his family to do something great for Earth, his family, and friends that has long-lasting GOOD consequences for the planet :). And that's just what he did in the GT finale. It's slightly less selfish, and has a bit of character growth that's missing from his take-off with Uub.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun May 08, 2005 4:12 pm

I haven't seen GT's ending, but I do like DB's ending over DBZ's. Even with the anime's dumb little quest at the last 4-5 eps, it was nicer than just Goku going off to train and fight, with the knowledge that he'd be back... eventually.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sun May 08, 2005 4:14 pm

My favorite part of GT's ending was when Goku and Kuririn fought and we could hear an instrumental of Hitori janai. In the last segment of the ending (the Tenka-ichi Budoukai of the future), I was kinda sad that they made it feel like the Son and Briefs' family hardly knew each other (seeing how Bulma was always around Goku and the others).

We have to see Toriyama's side, though:

The Freeza ending was the perfect one, but they made him continue. The Cell one would have been a good closure, but they made him continue. Hell, he couldn't have killed Goku or anyone, for that matters, at the end of Buu saga, since they had the Nameck Dragon Balls that could revive anyone (and everyone) for many times. He ended it the best way he thought about (or not).

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Sun May 08, 2005 4:17 pm

I think the creators of GT just missed the entire point of Dragonball, or rather, what made Dragonball and Dragonball Z special.

The ending? I thought Z's ending was very appropriate, and just seemed like it was meant to give everyone the feeling that "it's gonna be okay." Really, do we need DEATH, DRAMA, and DISASTER in every ending? We're also not taking into account this literal ending was just following Goku and Vegeta's showdown with Kid Buu, which was a very climatic fight to end the series.

The GT ending? I don't like having less-than-subversive schmaltz forced down my throat when I don't want no schmaltz. Dragonball Z had enough drama on its own to not even need to use a dirty tactic like this. Also, by the end of GT, I was glad Goku was going away for no good reason. I wish the dragon just fucking ate him.

Rather than being the Goku we all know and love, he turns into an arrogrant jerk, which isn't helped by the fact the everyone else suddenly sucks, receiving no real attention. Hell, Goten, Uub, and Gohan are ALL useless, which must mean Goku is a horrible teacher.
"In fact, the United States Alf Fanfiction Department has issued notices offering high paying jobs for more Alf fanfiction, which they believe could immediately resolve countless global issues such as world hunger."

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 08, 2005 4:22 pm

oponok wrote:The GT ending? I don't like having less-than-subversive schmaltz forced down my throat when I don't want no schmaltz. Dragonball Z had enough drama on its own to not even need to use a dirty tactic like this. Also, by the end of GT, I was glad Goku was going away for no good reason. I wish the dragon just fucking ate him.

Rather than being the Goku we all know and love, he turns into an arrogrant jerk, which isn't helped by the fact the everyone else suddenly sucks, receiving no real attention. Hell, Goten, Uub, and Gohan are ALL useless, which must mean Goku is a horrible teacher.
I think part of the reason I can't understand that viewpoint is the way in which I saw the DBGT ending... it was my first exposure to DBGT in any way, shape, or form. I got episodes 59, 61-64 raw from Capsule Corp. distro rather shortly after it aired (within the first year, probably... which was "shortly" for back before things appeared online in high-def the day they air), and the ending blew me away. At that point, I wasn't familiar with the crazy antics of GT, the characters and their weird "growth" and "maturity" (in that none of them actually act like themselves).

So to me, it was the same Goku I had fallen in love with being the amazing person he is :).
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Sun May 08, 2005 4:29 pm

Trunks Master Swordsman03 wrote:I mean Toei takes the DragonBalls & turns them against the Z-Fighters, that's just wrong. Then you have a villain called Baby!!!!!!
1) It's Bebi. I don't remember which side Mike took on the issue, but for the majority of people I've talked to it's Bebi.

2) Turning the Dragon Balls against the team was a terrific idea. Take away their crutch, their safety net, their ace in the hole and turn it against them. FANTASTIC idea.

I liked GT because it was different. Towards the end of Z everyone was so rediculously powerful it was stupid. I liked GT because they actually had to think a lot of the time. Most of the M2 arc was dumb, but I really liked the bits when they were sneaking around trying to get their ship back. Yes, they could have just flown in, killed everyone, and blown the place up for good measure without breaking a sweat, but this was so much more interesting to watch.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 08, 2005 4:34 pm

Mizugi wrote:1) It's Bebi. I don't remember which side Mike took on the issue, but for the majority of people I've talked to it's Bebi.
It's one of the very few asinine fanboy things I take a stand on and go with "Bebi" on, if only for the sole fact that I think "Baby" looks absolutely retarded when written for a villain's name in English. His name isn't kodomo or aka-chan or nyuuji, so I'm not sure what the deal/pun is with "bebii" ending up as "Baby."

I'm sure it's been explained to me, but I just don't remember / get it.

And let's not all forget that the entire Dr. Myuu / Bebi storyline is a terrible and blatant rip-off of the Famicom/PlayDia video game storyline from *years* earlier. Tsufuru wants revenge? Creates some mechanical/mutant/freaky thing to enact this revenge? Yeah... been there, done that.

SS Kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by SS Kakarot » Sun May 08, 2005 4:52 pm

I love DBGT as much as DB and DBZ, and I agree that the GT ending is much, much, better then Z's.
My Cels:
http://sskakarot.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
http://cels.proboards33.com

Trunks Master Swordsman03
Banned

Post by Trunks Master Swordsman03 » Sun May 08, 2005 5:02 pm

Bebi, baby, they all sound the same to me, either way it's lame.

On the topic of endings, this is how I see it.

Toriyama's Z Ending: OK, so Goku takes Uub to train him & make him into a great warrior. Master...student, sorta like Roshi was the former protector/strongest guy on earth & it was passed to Goku. But really, you can't end DB where Goku who is a Super Saiyan 3, will be surpassed by Uub, it's just a stupid ending really. Uub is merely Kid Buu, Uub's limits would be around that of Kid Buu's. I am not really sure if being that Buu was created, if he can acctually gain strength. So with that in mind, Goku will always be the supirior hero.

Toei's GT Ending: I truley & honestly like this ending better, & the flashbacks really make this scene. You have little Kakarot, a boy who was sent to earth to destroy it, bopped his head & became the sweet loving guy we as Goku. Goku protects the earth from the devious King Piccolo, avenges his master & best friends death. He later defeats Piccolo Jr. Then through all the hell he went through protecting the planet, making friends & allies, turning the once cold hearted Saiyan Prince into a decent guy. Goku defeats evil one last time with a Spirit Bomb from people throughout the entire universe, everyone in the universe untited with the world's greatest hero, & pushes the bomb into Omega & ends it. Then the Dragon Balls, the focus around the whole show (atleast in the beginning) become a part of him & he becomes the forever protector of not only the planet, but the universe.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Sun May 08, 2005 5:34 pm

WhatTheDarn wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:The ending to GT far surpasses the crap that Toriyama-sensei wrote to end the actual series with... even taking into consideration the re-write in the kanzenban.
Personally, I liked the Z ending more. I mean, which sounds better?

Or...

2) Everyone dies.
So your take on Saiyans and humans is that they're immortal?

Then you have a villain called Baby!!!!!!
Regardless of whether it refers to Baby or not (and quite frankly every Japanese fan I talk to that actually watched GT ((very rare indeed)) ) thinks/thought it was a joke on 'baby' given his initial state and ability to grow/change.

BUT I DIGRESS

So what you're saying is "Baby" (assuming it is such) is somehow stranger than Bibidi Babidi Boo? :shock:

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Sun May 08, 2005 5:36 pm

You know before I started writing the first sentence of my post(the topic starter post) I thought, 'what is this?' and went to go back on my browser, but then I thought again, 'who cares?' and carried on, I had a point to get across, regardless of what people wanted to think about why I did it.

But forget moaning about people who hate GT bashers, enough of that. Read on now.

I too enjoyed the ending of GT better, it had an ill flashback with the ultimate tune playing behind (Dan Dan). But do not judge a book by it's cover, they could have done that as the last DBZ episode by fast forwading time and making a few alterations. Just becaus the last episode it good, the rest is isn't.

I liked Goten's new haircut at the end of Z! I guess the artists couldn't be bothered to draw a bush on he's head so they made him like Gohan (kind of).

The end of DBZ is good because there are no more baddies to expect, no more troubles, and just the rest of their happy lives to live on. Give these people a break man, they've saved the planet enough times.

It get's to a point where it's better to end rather than to go on, and seeing as it was the fan's disliking to GT that made Toei cancel it(due to low TV rating I read), it's safe to say the majority of people didn't like it.

I mean look at Pokemon! There's still a next bunch of 100 or so I heard being made, it's been killed, murdered, the show just isn't good as it's just being repeated, ok, a new land and another 100 Pokemon is all they need, switch the main characters around, give them a new outfit, and chuck in a few Gym leaders and ta daa, we have series 20. Now I liked getting up at 8:30 to watch it on SMTV live at the time, but as time progresses, things get boring, and it's just crap now.

Ok, an exaggeration, but I'm glad DB didn't go that way, it ended, if you're not pleased, go back to episode 1 and go through them again, it's like a really long film, when it ends, it ends.

Why do you think the Scream Trilogy got crapper each time, the first was good, the next was ok and the 3rd was shit. Understand when something is over it's over, and trying to carry something on without much care or thought is what cramps the style of the show, and GT did not do what DB or DBZ did, because 60 episodes was all the fans could take. If 291 DBZ episodes are all perfectly watchable (even dubbed) then why can't 60 do justice?

Yes, you got it, we'd rather have niente.

Toriyama wouldn't say he hated GT anyway, from an artists point of view, I would say he wasn't happy, ok, at least he designed SSJ4, that's why it may look like it wern't intended to be, but still has that originality of the DBZ characters, it was him who done it, Toriyama, but the story is nothing special.

I only wish I started watching DBZ from episode 1, but I started at the Saiyaman Saga, yes, without any information on how the story started, progressed, or ended(or even if they were still making episodes!), I was shocked when I found out it's past, how long it's been around and the fact that it's finished, this just means it can only do better in the years to come, if Japanese episodes can make my 7 year old sister watch and understand, then you know it's a good show.

Laters.
Last edited by Bejiita on Sun May 08, 2005 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Trunks Master Swordsman03
Banned

Post by Trunks Master Swordsman03 » Sun May 08, 2005 6:16 pm

The end of DBZ is good because there are no more baddies to expect, no more troubles, and just the rest of their happy lives to live on. Give these people a break man, they've saved the planet enough times.
http://www.daizex.com/multimedia/images ... al_p17.jpg

^The ending of Z

Narration: The great adventure of Goku and his friends, concerning the Dragon Balls! I can only show it to you all up until here, the end... Even after this, there will probably be various troubles, but somehow they'll surmount them, without a doubt... It'll be all right, because they've got the Dragon Balls...!

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Sun May 08, 2005 6:31 pm

Yea, I did read that a while ago, I just forgot, or didn't take it in.

Blastero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Blastero » Sun May 08, 2005 9:34 pm

I don't like, nor consider DBGT to have ever happened in the canon storyline for a few reasons.

1. One thing about DBZ that I liked was that it never got too dark or grim, and was kind of a never ending story, with Goku as the silly guy, who makes the thing funny. It kept a lot of the action and earth almost/blowing up situations, but the main characters never changed so dramatically apart from aging, and none of this "He dissapeared for ever because of something something and you will never see him again" stuff. DBZ was just one of those shows with an unlimited lifespan, even after it ended. DBGT went with the "The series has to end with one of the main characters dying or leaving or being replaced by someone else" approach, which does NOT fit DBZ at all and TOTALLY takes away what I personally love about DBZ.

2. DBGT had many scenes and such relating to characters from filler episodes/movies, aside from the fact that it IS, in a way a filler series. Cooler and everyone from the movies are ALL seen coming back from Hell in DBGT, and is also based on many other filler premises. This suggests that DBGT could not have happened in the canon storyline.

jochickabee

Post by jochickabee » Mon May 09, 2005 12:49 am

The reasons I didn't enjoy GT:

1) Annoying, superficial characters
Esp. Pan who wins the award for most whiniest brat in anime existence. In fact Goten, Marron, Bra and Trunks, all seemed to be products / reflections of the Japanese "Amae" (spoiled) generation, as Gohan was a kid of the "Cram school" generation. And although that might make sense considering that they did grow up in good and peaceful times, it would've made more sense for the GT writers to have them face conflict and realize that this peace is always at stake.

2) Goku...again? (Mirai) Trunks?
I actually didn't mind the return to the original, laid-back, DB adventure style at the beginning of the series. But I did not like Pan, Goku and Trunks as the main characters. (And we all know that Trunks was there to hold on to the female fan-base.) Toriyama had tried to pass the hero-torch to Gohan, but I guess fans complained. As much as I LOVE Goku, I was hoping that others would emerge as major players as well.

3) Plotline?
"We're going for goofy fun..oh wait..ratings are bad...must create new power level...blood and violence..check."
In the end, the GT plotline seemed too market-driven, hence the dramatic change to an all out blood & gore fest without any consideration for real character or plot development. (It is a kids' show after all I suppose). I do concede that it was a great idea to take away their Ace, aka the Dragonballs.

4) Ending
However, I also agree that the "Z" ending wasn't satisfying either. Both endings made me incredibly depressed, esp. the GT one. All along, DB(Z) has somewhat trivialized death, and the GT ending, delivered a "real" death. :( In both, I don't think Goku gave proper farewells to his (immediate) family, though GT did a slightly better job. Yeah, he didn't want his family to be sad, but leaving them, waiting for his return isn't the most responsible solution either. But, I supposed I'm expecting too much from Goku, who pretty much loves everyone the same and doesn't differentiate between family/friends (it seems), which is ultimately Toriyama's doing too.

I wonder though, how Toriyama could've ended the Buu saga differently, that would leave us feeling satisfied. Any takers?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon May 09, 2005 1:12 am

jochickabee wrote:I wonder though, how Toriyama could've ended the Buu saga differently, that would leave us feeling satisfied. Any takers?
For me, Vegito beating the crap out of Buu, killing Buu, reviving everybody and then maybe one or two episodes showing Vegito and everybody else just relaxing and not having to deal with a big crisis.