Why all the hate for Cell and Buu Sagas?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Re: Why all the hate for Cell and Buu Sagas?

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:00 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:The Freeza arc was the best out of all of them man, What are you talking about? It only got more complicated as the others came along.
But even then it wasn't THAT dumb. I agree though, in the Buu saga when Gohan got the giant power boost. But he naturally doesn't like fighting, and that power boost was most likely the best at the time, but shortly after the Buu saga Gohan quit fighting really..
It's also not in his blood to fight like a full Saiyajin, therefore the Saiyajin race (Goku, Vegeta..) will be stronger and will protect the earth. So you can't whine about Gohan or anything else really. Toryama likes and approves it so then do I.

What else can be said?
Freeza was alright although it's not the Citizen Kane of DB.

The upcoming arcs weren't dumb because the ending sucks. It is because fans thought it got to stupid. Even though in the arc they praise they fight the Dairy Sentai, and a giant freezer who blows up planets. Dragon Ball is not serious business. If it ended there or ended as it did it would not be as satisfying. Not to mention its also quite repetitive.

Gohan did not ruin the Boo arc. Toriyama did not ruin Gohan. Japanese fans ruined Gohan because it was not their Goku.

You're not evening on topic you are speaking of the ending. Also Goku knows he can't keep protecting the Earth, Vegeta does not care. Gohan also got the shaft at that point too. But we got some dumb, little kid we don't care about to be the next in line.

And another thing how was the three sets of villains in the Cell saga not repetitive?

Also has no one brought up when Gohan lost his sense of sight and didn't catch the potara?
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:14 am

I think Cell is the best saga next to the Freeza saga.

DBZ should have ending with the Cell arc.

From the Saiyan/Vegeta arc to the Cell arc all the characters shared their part of the battle with the villains.

But with the Buu arc most of the characters took a back seat and left everything to Goku and Vegeta.

The Cell is long but it works a lot while the Buu arc just drags on and on. I think the Kid Buu saga was unnecessary.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:32 am

Gotham22 wrote:But with the Buu arc most of the characters took a back seat and left everything to Goku and Vegeta.
What show were you watching?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:39 am

I can sort of agree with the hatred for the Boo arc, but the Cell arc? I thought the Saiyan and Freeza arcs were better, but the Cell arc was by no means bad. I quite liked it's suspense and it's climatic moments. But to each his own, I guess.

EnmaDaiou
Beyond Newbie

Post by EnmaDaiou » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:35 am

If you ask people the first thing they think when you say DRAGONBALL outside of Japan, most of the people will think in GOKU SSJ vs FREEZA or something like that.

I don't know how was in another countries, but in Brasil, most of the people knew Dragon Ball with DBZ. And didn't even know there was a kid Goku saga. DB and DBZ was broadcasted by different channels.
It was very confusing.
So, a lot of people are not familiarized with Akira's characteristic humor.

I think because of that, people uses to think dragon ball must be always dramatic with serious villains.

I don't see this hate in Japan.
And in DB FOREVER guide, a little ranking of "best characters" (this rank is not exactly a scientific survey but it give us some clues) have Majin Buu in 8th with 421 pts. Better than Freeza and Cell.
08 - Majin Buu - 421 pts
09 - Freeza - 234 pts
14 - Cell - 170 pts

I'm sure it's not a prove that Buu is mre poplar than freeza in Japan or something like that.
But shows at least that there's no evidence of hate for that saga.

EDIT:
My point is that Japanese people knows Akira's style of humor since Dr. Slump.
And they like it.
And they read/watched DB from beginning, week by week.

Maybe it makes the difference.
Capsule Corporation - New layout!!
Trying to be a great Brazilian portuguese DB site.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:46 pm

Godo wrote:
Rocketman wrote:Every single thing after Freeza is based on the good guys suddenly turning retarded, so the story goes to shit.
I've got to agree there.
I mean, at the Freeza Arc, Vegeta knew about him being inferior to Freeza, so he stole the Dragonballs to gain immortality to be able to defeat him. It was a sly tactic.
In the Cell Arc, he lets Cell become perfect without much thought and gets his ass kicked.
So...yeah.
What about Vegeta letting Freeza transform, even though he saw Zarbon initially out classing him?? Besides it is the saiyan way to hunger for a good fight and have powerfull rivals. Examples with Goku: He let Piccolo escape, because he said he would be bored without a powerfull rival to motivate him, he let Vegeta escape even though Vegeta wanted to kill them all just because he was excited about being in a fight where he had to give it his all just to scrath his opponent, as a SSJ he let Freeza reach his full power just for the sake of proving that Freeza had met his match, even though there was always the risk of Freeza winning the fight(and Dragonball was supposed to end with Goku's death along with Nameks explosion meaning his death was caused by him being a retard according to your standards, although he didn't know Kuririn could be revived again) So...yeah.
Vegeta examples: He let's Goku use the Kaioken*3, even though he all ready saw Kaioken*2 which was close to his level, he let's Zarbon transform(I know he didn't know he would be that much stronger but still), he let's Zarbon transform again(of course Vegeta was a lot stronger this time, but he only won, through trickery, dropping sand in Zarbon's eyes and attacking from behind), as mentioned above he willingly let's Freeza transform, even though he was weaker than Freeza's first form(panting while Freeza stood like nothing had happened). So if you say that they were retarded in the Cell saga, then based on how you measure retardedness, they were most certainly retarded before the onset of the Android saga.

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:27 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Gotham22 wrote:But with the Buu arc most of the characters took a back seat and left everything to Goku and Vegeta.
So you saw Piccolo fight buu?

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:45 pm

Gotham22 wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
So you saw Piccolo fight buu?
Piccolo didn't fight Buu, but....

Gohan vs. Dabura
Piccolo finishing the teaching of the fusion technique
Mr. Satan turning Fat Buu good
Gotenks vs. Super Buu
Popo throwing Dende from the Lookout during Buu's attack
Kaioshin showing Gohan the Z Sword
Old Kai Unlocking Gohan's potential
Gohan vs. Super Buu
Tenshinhan saving Dende from Buutenks
Old Kai introducing the Potaras
Mr. Satan, Fat Buu, Dende, Kaioshin, and all of Earth being crucial players in the final battle

Goku and Vegeta most certainly did not do everything.

[EDIT] - Added two instances of people, neither Goku nor Vegeta, saving Dende
Last edited by Zephyr on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:51 pm

One thing I will say is that I liked how Freeza wasn't able to regenerate and could have surely died a couple of times if it wasn't for CIS affecting the wimpy Kuririn, I mean he was almost killed by a Kienzan to the back, which he somehow(ki sensing?? but that's impossible!!) saw coming and dodged at the very last moment, then there was when Kuririn had just used the Taiyoken technique, putting Freeza in a very disadvantegeous situation, since he can't sense ki(at least not as good as Goku and Co.), but what does Kuririn do?? decides to let Vegeta attack the blinded foe instead of just slicing him in half with another Kienzan( I mean it couldn't be that hard to make another one he just made 5!! with minimal effort). I for once wanted a human saving the world and then rub it in Vegeta's face as a sign of their superiority over him xD.

Another reason to think less highly of the cell saga and particularly the buu saga is that the humans are basically useless, with the exception of Tenshinhan with his Shin kikoho and all that, who probably could have destroyed the androids with this powerfull attack. In the buu saga Yamcha and Kuririn are reduced to normal humans who aren't considered helpfull in any way, even Goku mentions to Kuririn that he probably should get going after they arrive at Babidi's spaceship, and Kuririn mentions himself, that he is too weak. After being turned to stone and then turned back again he spents the rest of the saga chilling on the lookout. At least in the cell saga he get's to fight, although it is against a minion(Cell Jr.) and he is easily beaten up.
But all in all I enjoy all of Dragonball it's just irritating, that the Saiyans had to get that strong making it impossible for the humans to catch up to their Super Saiyan forms.

EDIT: @Zephyr you forgot about Tenshinhan saving Dende from his death by Super Buutenks.
2nd EDIT: What I did like about the Buu saga though is the humans being actively involved in the demise of Kid Buu and Mr. Satan making himself earn the status of being the "World Champion."
Last edited by dbgtFO on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:56 pm

dbgtFO wrote:EDIT: @Zephyr you forgot about Tenshinhan saving Dende from his death by Super Buutenks.
Oh, you're right! Editing my post now...

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:13 pm

The whole fusion thing and Gohan training on Kai's world was totally wasted if just a spirit bomb from Goku to finish off Buu once and for all.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:28 pm

Gotham22 wrote:The whole fusion thing and Gohan training on Kai's world was totally wasted if just a spirit bomb from Goku to finish off Buu once and for all.
You mean the Spirit Bomb that was Vegeta's idea? The one that required the abilities/connections of Kaioshin, Dende, Fat Buu, and Mr. Satan to even pull off?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:37 pm

Choice195 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:People dislike the Androids/Cell arc? That's the best arc in Dragon Ball! :?
Agreed. Seasons 4, 5, and 6 are the greatest arcs. :wink:
Seasons 4, 5, and 6? So you mean the entire rest of the series?

Anyway, I'd never really heard of much hatred for the Cell arc before now. In certain ways, it feels like the last "classic" arc where, even though a lot of the major characters are being pushed to the side, they're still around and active, and there's a great ensemble feel to it. Finally, after the entire Freeza arc, the cast is alive and back together again, and they're also back on earth. And it ties back to a much earlier story arc. However, there are the valid complaints of it being too serious, the "everyone becomes a Super Saiya-jin" problem, and Vegeta constantly doing stupid things. And while the series does a surprisingly good job of justifying it, I sometimes have a hard time getting around the premise of, "Oh, we're just not going to use this knowledge of the future in advance to stop the problem before it happens." I wonder what Trunks would have said if he hadn't already gone back to the future? Trunks and Kuririn sure didn't have a problem killing the embryonic Cell even though it had yet to do anything wrong.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:07 pm

Gotham22 wrote:The whole fusion thing and Gohan training on Kai's world was totally wasted if just a spirit bomb from Goku to finish off Buu once and for all.
Yes, it would be far better if it was just like the Freeza and Cell saga where the new transformation would save the day... Or not.

The buu saga is awesome in making fun of itself and some of the pre-established formulas like that one, while still being "serious". So it even made fun of that by introducing 4 transformations (dance fusion - Gotenks, SSJ3 - Goku, Mystic - Gohan, Potara fusion - Vegetto) that didn`t save the day and kept the viewer guessing what would happen next.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:and Vegeta constantly doing stupid things.
And Trunks, and Krillin, and Piccolo, and Goku, and Gohan, and Yamcha, and Tien.... When Freeza landed on Earth, he apparently brought the stupid virus with him.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:07 pm

I never understand the hate for both Sagas as well. I enjoy the Buu saga a lot since the action moments where great, and I found the saga more interesting vibrant. And that Buu was a good villain, and it was nice to see a original villain again the series.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:08 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:and Vegeta constantly doing stupid things.
And Trunks, and Krillin, and Piccolo, and Goku, and Gohan, and Yamcha, and Tenshinhan.... When Freeza landed on Earth, he apparently brought the stupid virus with him.
Aww come on, what did poor old Yamcha do? Except for being too damn weak compared to the Saiyans.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:22 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Aww come on, what did poor old Yamcha do? Except for being too damn weak compared to the Saiyans.
He showed up to the Cell Games. They ran out of senzu and couldn't heal Gohan because they healed him and Tien.

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:51 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:Aww come on, what did poor old Yamcha do? Except for being too damn weak compared to the Saiyans.
He showed up to the Cell Games. They ran out of senzu and couldn't heal Gohan because they healed him and Tenshinhan.
True, by that point they were fodder. Though Tien did save Hercule and Dende from Buu's energy blast. though he was stupid to think that his tri-beam would do anything to Buu at that point considering it only had enough power to deflect a energy blast from Buu. A weak one at that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9bBMbbNlyI

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:08 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote:Though Tenshinhan did save (the H-word) and Dende from Buu's energy blast.
If they had died, Goku would've saved Goten, Trunks, Piccolo and Mystic Gohan from death, meaning there would be precisely no threat from Kid Buu.