What's your first Dragonball memory?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Re: What's your first Dragonball memory?

Post by sailorspazz » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:24 pm

Scarz wrote:Goku taking off Bulma's panties.

Just kidding.
LOL, well mine actually does involve that very subject! It was 1996, soon after I'd gotten into anime (probably seen just Sailor Moon, and very little else). My friend's neighbor, who had introduced her (and, subsequently, me) to anime, was talking about the Dragonball manga, describing the situation of Gokuu taking off Bulma's panties and how she later ending up flashing her hoo-hah at Roshi because of it. I didn't actually get into the series until at least a year later, but that was the first time I heard about Dragonball :lol:
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:10 pm

I have so many memories mixed up in my head. Watching the Trunks Special and telling my friend about how all the Z Fighters died; watching a Cell Games episode at my Grandparent's house at Christmas; seeing the beginning of DBZ on TV; and watching Goku go SSJ3 against Fat Buu.
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:55 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:23 pm

Sshadow5001 wrote:
I remember the first episode was shown just after the first episode of that terrible show "Angela Anaconda"
(Shudders)
I remember that show, I remember they had some small short cartoon of the show before the Digimon movie came on.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MalikArcanum
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MalikArcanum » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:38 am

My first memory was seeing Vegeta doing the "YOU WON'T ESCAPE MY WRAAAAATH!" line on a Toonami commercial in '97, & thinking "What in the hell was that?".

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:39 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:I think he just kidding!
Yes I can rember back to when I was three. but not much.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:45 am

I'm not quite sure what I watched first. I think it was the 21st Tenka'ichi Budôkai, because my earliest memory of watching the show on local TV was Mutenrôshi taking off his wig and hiding the prize money, then wasting it all on buying Gokû food. But on the other hand I definitely know I didn't see him blow up the moon or Gokû go Great Ape during the tournament because I recall being surprised when Man-Wolf mentioned it on the 22nd Budôkai. The saga that I definitely recall the best from the local TV airing was the 22nd Budôkai, with the whole Turtle School/Crane School thing, but I also vaguely remember a short episode from the Red Ribbon arc (the one with Gokû, Bulma and Krillin in the cave with the weird robot thing). I think what happened was that the final episode of the 21st Budôkai *was* what I first watched, but I only got hooked and started watching the series regularly during the 22nd Budôkai. Though I missed a couple episodes each time around, I watched them very regularly from that point on. I definitely remember seeing Gokû finding Krillin dead, then going after Tambourine and losing. I remember that Piccolo Daimaô's portuguese soundblaster-voice sounded seriously creepy to me when I was a child (even if it sounds stupid to me now). I definitely remember Gokû killing Piccolo Daimaô, though I don't remember either Mutenrôshi's OR Ten Shin Han's use of the Mafûba (though I saw Mutaito's flashback of it), and I don't remember Gokû going after the Super Divine Water, either. I know for a fact that I missed the entire part where Gokû meets God and Popo (I remember being surprised when, at the tournament, God popped out of the bottle and he looked just like Piccolo), but I did see the entire tournament from start to finish. And then Z came on and I got even more hooked, and I think the only episode of Z I missed on the original run here at all was the one where Trunks introduced himself to Gokû.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Strongbad456
Beyond Newbie

Post by Strongbad456 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:58 am

My first DragonBall memory was during the Ginyu Special Squad fight. I was at a friend's house and he had it on. It was when the members were doing Rock-Paper-Scissors to see who fought first. But I didn't get into the show until I saw it at another friend's house, around the episode when Goku went Super Saiyan.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:25 pm

I think I had seen it in passing on TV, but the first time I ever paid attention was when I was at a job interview and Bruce Faulconer goes, "Do you ever watch Dragonball Z?". I saw some of it playing on a TV screen in his office but didn't really get much out of it from that glimpse. After the interview I immediately went and rented the first Drabonball eps(kid Goku), Tree of Might, and Dead Zone (everything the store had). Watched them back to back. My most successful audition piece was a rip off of some fast action music from DeadZone.
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

landoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by landoku » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:30 pm

I remember being very young and seeing it come on PBS a few times. lol

Great Saiyaman I
Regular

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:25 pm

This is going to be from a young, stupid perspective of the first Budokai game.

So after me and my friend beat Vegeta, who was actually a monkey, we fought that minor character Freeza and never played as her because she sounds old. My least favorite character was Goku's brother Yamcha who couldn't turn "Super Golden". The fat robot guy freaked me out and we beat the baby Cells using Goku's younger brother Gohan, and then beat Cell himself. I also didn't think the Vegeta in the Cell Arc was the same person as in the Saiyan Arc.

I was a confused kid.
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Herms can you translate the whole thing
No.

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:46 pm

Honestly? It's a bit hard because it's a toss-up between two memories.

The first, is similar to another member, seeing Toonami's New Year's Evil featuring the entire Garlic Jr. Saga.
Now I don't think it honestly was my first exposure to Dragon Ball Z, I may have heard about it from Kids at school or something, but watching the entire Garlic Jr. Saga that night was my first distinct memory of it.
Stay up all night drinking soda and snacking on crap after fireworks had popped off all the while throwing punches and kicks while doing sit-ups and push-ups because I wanted to be like Gohan :P

The other, was I had came home after school and flipped through the channels, with DBZ being on the final few episodes of the Goku vs. Freeza fight; and my Dad had came in and heard the fight going. (With the groans, yells, etc) and assumed I was watching something dirty or perverted making some lewd comment.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:55 pm

I believe my first memory of DB was probably the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai. I think it was the finals.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:19 am

My earliest memory of Dragonball is so fucked up. Not in content, just in what I actually remember.

I usually think back to Summer of whatever the hell year it was, when Z was in syndication. Every usually says they watched it early in the mornings. I got Sailor Moon in the mornings, but DBZ on, Sunday? I think? Two episodes a week, after all the Sunday morning cartoons were over, so about noon. Flipping through channels and watching two episodes from the end of the Namek Saga. Then a week or two or three later, it played the last episode at the time, and then started with the first "episode" of the chopped up Tree of Might. Big wtf moment. I was pissed.

The messed up part, is that, the more I watched it, I remembered seeing a part of it before, like something from when Dragonball (not Z) was in syndication. That was probably early in the morning, thus my inability to remember. I remember something to do with a mountain being on fire... little Goku, Super Roshi, ...and Piccolo? Like, actual Demon King Piccolo. Not the one from Z.

Psshh... Hell if I know... :|
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

KakaR0T
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KakaR0T » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:37 am

I'll always remember that I started to really get into DBZ when I first started college (in 2002, wow I feel old). I would always be interested in checking out what the Japanese version of DBZ had that our version didn't. I remember always catching DB and DBZ on Toonami and Midnight Run. I also would go into the library of Nassau Community College and view this website to contrast and compare the uncut and edited versions of the show. I would pay top dollar for my DB/DBZ DVDs because I only knew to get them at Suncoast. I eventually started to buy online and use e-bay because things were generally cheaper there.

What got me into DBZ in the first place was that I thought the shirts looked cool. A friend of mine who I played Pokémon TCG with wore a DBZ watch that I thought was cool too. Right then and there, I thought "that's it, from this point forward I am going to start watching this series". I did just that and I'm glad I did.

True Story.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:36 pm

I don't remember my first Dragonball memory, only that I knew I watched it before Dragonball Z and was a huge fan. My first Dragonball Z memory though was when I was around 4-5 years old, and put on Dragonball Z which I thought was Dragonball at the time. It was when Gohan had just been thrown into the Saiyan Pod by Raditz, and Piccolo and Goku began to fight Raditz. My mom was watching with me, and she started lecturing me on how all they ever did was scream, and scream, and fight, and scream. She asked how could I like that. Strangely enough I thought it was awesome, hah

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:41 pm

My first memory/introduction to DBZ was in middle school. I was in cllass and someone had a folder with a few of the characters on it and I thought it was cool.

Possibly this too: I was in Dollar General when I was little [I'm 23 now] there were little keychains with the characters in a little clear cylindar with a magnet on the bottom so it looked like they were floating. There was Goku and SS Goku. At the time I thought theyw ere different people, like different ranked people; like the army or something.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:49 pm

Definitely this

Wow this is so oddly long ago. Somwhere back in 1997 or 1998 I discovered this in the stores and it immediately captured my attention. I went home playing it and could'nt get enough of it. It was just so damn cool back then. A few months later I think Dragonball reached German TV and I was amazed.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme