Is this how Kai should have looked?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jaruka
Regular

Is this how Kai should have looked?

Post by Jaruka » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Hey everyone, sorry if this has been brought up before but I found this image yesterday:

To be honest, this is what I was expecting when I was told about Kai and to be honest I'm really disappointed with the quality of what we did get in the end, it's not even really remastered at all.
Anyway, what do you guys think?
mysticboy wrote:Raditz has the durability of 3 moons.

Echo64
Beyond Newbie

Re: Is this how Kai should of looked?

Post by Echo64 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:16 pm

The Blu-ray disc doesn't look bad like in the first pic, but I know what you are getting at. I don't think they should have to redraw everything, it would take too much time and money, and it wouldn't be as profitable to Toei in my opinion.

I know the quality isn't as good as the opening and ending, but they are fixing the animation that needs to be fixed. A new dub along with HD is much more than I could have ever asked for.
"This planet's last remnant of hope!"
My DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My YouTube Channel

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:35 pm

Re-animating is not the same thing as remastering. Mastering is more about processing, fine tuning, and arrangement into the final format something ships in.
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:57 pm

Wouldn't object to completely new animation, but I wouldn't want it looking like that at all. I'd prefer them to do what they did originally, and try to match the style of the manga.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Re: Is this how Kai should have looked?

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:56 pm

Close enough. kai should look as good as the opening and ending animation.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:11 pm

I don't think that's true for any show.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:51 pm

Yeah, this has come up before, but it's been a while.

Meh. As generally apathetic as I am about Kai, I think, for the purpose of what they're doing, they're going about it the right way. I certainly would not have wanted it to be redrawn like that. First off, I'm not a fan of that art style in the first place. As high as the production values in Dragon Soul are, I think the characters look pretty hideous. But even if I did like it, that part of the story has no business looking like that. I agree with whoever said that if it was redrawn, it should be redrawn in the same style as the manga at that time.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:44 pm

I would have wanted Kai to have been redrawn, but not like that. It doesn't look bad, just not that great.

Jaruka
Regular

Post by Jaruka » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:41 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:I would have wanted Kai to have been redrawn, but not like that. It doesn't look bad, just not that great.
I like the Raditz a lot, the Goku does look wrong though.
mysticboy wrote:Raditz has the durability of 3 moons.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:09 am

I'd really like it to look like that actually. I understand opposing arguments, but my thing is that I've seen it drawn like that before. I notice that the scenes they reanimate mimmick the exact same image and nothing really gets "corrected." I mean let's take a look at this, as borrowed from another Thread in the Kai Forums, which I credit Hujio for:

Why even reanimate this? It looks just as crappy as the original. Raditz' face could have been touched up. His ears could have been edited. But they kept everything pretty much the same.

Why even reanimate this either? Okay they added in the Turtle symbol... yet they left his face messed up.

They really couldn't fix Bulma's face up?

Anyway I'll leave it at that. All of these edits seem really pointless to me. I mean they mostly seem to be to touch up the aura/blasts/etc., but sometimes they're just made for no reason. And even when they are edits of a poorly-drawn scene... the reanimation is JUST as poorly drawn. So that doesn't do anything for me.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:55 pm

Well, the thing is, if they totally re-did the animation it would look nothing like the manga which is what DragonBall Kai is all about apparently.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:27 am

Okay. Well then why not redraw it all to look like the manga? They could have fixed many things such as facial expressions and whatnot. They could have reanimated it using better shadowing techniques and whatnot and made it look really crisp while still looking like the manga.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:53 am

This is what I was hoping for, widescreen, not cropped, clear picture.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:25 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:Okay. Well then why not redraw it all to look like the manga? They could have fixed many things such as facial expressions and whatnot. They could have reanimated it using better shadowing techniques and whatnot and made it look really crisp while still looking like the manga.
Like Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood?
Considering the cash Kai is pulling in, I'd say that'd be far too expensive a gamble on Toei's part.

Fishman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fishman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:44 am

Yeah, I'm not a fan of plastic-haired Dragonball characters, which are unfortunately the designs they brilliantly chose to use in the Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans.

If you're going to have Goku's hair be anything more than a single shade of Black, do it like Movie 9. I'm not saying it has to be blue, but I'm saying it needs to not look like someone held a Goku figure under a desk lamp to figure out how to draw Goku's hair.

The right side illustrates what I'd want Kai to have looked like, and the left side seems to be what everyone else wants it to look like. I wouldn't stop there, however, as I'd want all manga colors to be used over the anime ones.
Super Saiyan Blue is not a creative color.
DBZ Movie 3 told a stronger and more believable "Evil Goku" story in 60 minutes than Dragon Ball Super has in 20 episodes. And it did it with better visuals and score.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:58 am

The Time Traveller wrote: This is what I was hoping for, widescreen, not cropped, clear picture.
Well, being this is FUNimation, I think they'll re-release DBZ Kai over and over, one release might actually be widescreen.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:16 pm

If you want wide screen all you have to do is select the zoom option really.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:33 pm

It wouldn't as good as the specially-made widescreen version aired on Fuji TV. :(
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:20 pm

Jaruka wrote:Hey everyone, sorry if this has been brought up before but I found this image yesterday:

To be honest, this is what I was expecting when I was told about Kai and to be honest I'm really disappointed with the quality of what we did get in the end, it's not even really remastered at all.
Anyway, what do you guys think?

That picture is actually from a fan project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1D_J71OZwY

Here's the website:
http://gogeta-jr.supafan.net/

I'm not sure if he's doing it, since the video is old and there's been no new news. But eh well
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:33 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:Image

This is what I was hoping for, widescreen, not cropped, clear picture.
What did you do to edit that image like that?