Aspects You Wish Were Expanded Upon

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Aspects You Wish Were Expanded Upon

Post by penguintruth » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:54 am

Part of me would really like to know about Freeza's past and his race. But then, some things are best left unexamined, for the sake of maintaining some air of mystery about them.

I'd really like to know about the previous God and where Mr. Popo comes from.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:58 am

Off the top of my head..

- The whereabouts of Lunch

- The Demon realm

- The origin and the birth of the gods

- The origin of Chiaotzu and Tenshinhan

- The origin of Yamucha

- The origin of Mr.Popo

.. and that's about all I can think of at the moment. Hmm. Time to sleep.

derekdbz

Post by derekdbz » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:18 pm

i would like to find out about Frieza's home planet, Paragus and his struggles of rasing Broly, and how the Sayins became employees of Frieza

Asura

Post by Asura » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:35 pm

I wished Gohan's emotions after the cell games were expanded upon. His dad just died and he's not coming back, I think he should atleast be a little more upset.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:06 am

Rocketman wrote:
FormallyKnownAsPrince wrote:Perhaps I'm the only one who cares, but I would like to know how in the world Vegeta and Bulma ended up in bed together... I know there's really no place for romance in Dragon Ball, but... it just seems so out of left field and yet so perfect at the same time. Did anyone else's jaw drop when they heard Trunks tell Goku who his parents were? :lol:
Bulma was horny, Vegeta was horny, they fucked. That's it, there's no romance to be had.

I would like to see more about the galaxy beyond Earth. Like, what happens when everybody wakes up to find Freeza's dead and his hierarchy gutted?
Everyone had a big celebration party like in The Matrix Reloaded.

Anyway, there are so many aspects of the series I wish were expanded upon that I can't fit them all in the post. So what the heck--Lunch. What happened to her after Toriyama dropped her in the "forgotten characters" bin? I don't buy that she just went "chasing after Tenshinhan".
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:26 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
FormallyKnownAsPrince wrote:Perhaps I'm the only one who cares, but I would like to know how in the world Vegeta and Bulma ended up in bed together... I know there's really no place for romance in Dragon Ball, but... it just seems so out of left field and yet so perfect at the same time. Did anyone else's jaw drop when they heard Trunks tell Goku who his parents were? :lol:
Bulma was horny, Vegeta was horny, they fucked. That's it, there's no romance to be had.

I would like to see more about the galaxy beyond Earth. Like, what happens when everybody wakes up to find Freeza's dead and his hierarchy gutted?
Everyone had a big celebration party like in The Matrix Reloaded.
I always imaginated scenes like from Special Edition of Return of The Jedi
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:16 am

I'm probably one of the handful of people who actually care about this, but I'm curious to know just what it was that killed off most of the Namekians. All the information we really get about it is that there was some natural phenomenon and all but 2 of them died. Part of me really wants that expanded upon.

Yes, Kaboom, I have read your fanfic.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:21 am

Asura wrote:I wished Gohan's emotions after the cell games were expanded upon. His dad just died and he's not coming back, I think he should atleast be a little more upset.
But Goku was fine with being dead and didn't even want to come back, and Gohan understood that. I don't think characters in Dragon Ball get that emotional. I certainly wouldn't want a filler episode where Gohan's moaning about how Daddy's never coming back to life.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:42 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Asura wrote:I wished Gohan's emotions after the cell games were expanded upon. His dad just died and he's not coming back, I think he should atleast be a little more upset.
But Goku was fine with being dead and didn't even want to come back, and Gohan understood that. I don't think characters in Dragon Ball get that emotional. I certainly wouldn't want a filler episode where Gohan's moaning about how Daddy's never coming back to life.

Yeah but I wish that Gohan would be a little more sympathetic towards it I guess? If there was to be an episode about it I wouldn't want him just moaning. I read a fanfic once where he can't control his emotions and almost destroys cities and stuff around him and he's gotta be controlled and whatever by Piccolo. Just a suggestion to throw out there, I don't think that would make too bad an episode xD. But yeah, I guess Dragonball characters don't get that emotional.

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:51 pm

Gohan, I think, like Piccolo Daimao said, was understanding enough of his father's wishes that he was cool with it. Goten, on the other hand...that always bugged me (and is actually part of his development in my seemingly eternally-on-hiatus fic). The boy grows up without his dad, and after 7 years gets the chance to meet him for one day...shit goes down and he's lucky enough to get daddy back for realz, and hopefully make up for lost time. Then daddy showcases his classic personality by deciding to take off and train with this strange kid he just met. Okay, everyone else is like 'baww, but well, it's Gokou, that's what he does and he's happy, we're cool with it' because they've seen him do this more than once by now.

But what about Goten?! After all that, he's losing his dad again to this random kid he just met?! If I were Goten, I'd be pissed. Sure, DB isn't real life, but no matter what age you are, having your dad walk out on you (as I can attest) is not exactly a barrel of monkeys. I find it really hard to imagine him not having some sort of resentment or generally getting fucked up by the experience, especially when his best friend gets to train with daddy all the time.
Steam Name: SG2
Discord Tag: Esjitu#4064

"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe

Asura

Post by Asura » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:48 pm

Suupaa Gohan 2 wrote:Gohan, I think, like Piccolo Daimao said, was understanding enough of his father's wishes that he was cool with it. Goten, on the other hand...that always bugged me (and is actually part of his development in my seemingly eternally-on-hiatus fic). The boy grows up without his dad, and after 7 years gets the chance to meet him for one day...shit goes down and he's lucky enough to get daddy back for realz, and hopefully make up for lost time. Then daddy showcases his classic personality by deciding to take off and train with this strange kid he just met. Okay, everyone else is like 'baww, but well, it's Goku, that's what he does and he's happy, we're cool with it' because they've seen him do this more than once by now.

But what about Goten?! After all that, he's losing his dad again to this random kid he just met?! If I were Goten, I'd be pissed. Sure, DB isn't real life, but no matter what age you are, having your dad walk out on you (as I can attest) is not exactly a barrel of monkeys. I find it really hard to imagine him not having some sort of resentment or generally getting fucked up by the experience, especially when his best friend gets to train with daddy all the time.

This is kinda what I meant with Gohan as well. He's stuck with raising his brother, Goten. If Gohan isn't mad that his dad left him, I think it would make more sense that he's mad cause Goku left Goten.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:12 am

Asura wrote:
Suupaa Gohan 2 wrote:Gohan, I think, like Piccolo Daimao said, was understanding enough of his father's wishes that he was cool with it. Goten, on the other hand...that always bugged me (and is actually part of his development in my seemingly eternally-on-hiatus fic). The boy grows up without his dad, and after 7 years gets the chance to meet him for one day...shit goes down and he's lucky enough to get daddy back for realz, and hopefully make up for lost time. Then daddy showcases his classic personality by deciding to take off and train with this strange kid he just met. Okay, everyone else is like 'baww, but well, it's Goku, that's what he does and he's happy, we're cool with it' because they've seen him do this more than once by now.

This is kinda what I meant with Gohan as well. He's stuck with raising his brother, Goten. If Gohan isn't mad that his dad left him, I think it would make more sense that he's mad cause Goku left Goten.
Like I said, characters in Dragon Ball don't get emotional like in real-life. They don't get in trouble at school because they're having "problems at home". Anyway, after Boo Arc, Goten did get Goku for 10 years, and after those 10 years, Goten's 17 and girls are more important to him than bonding time with his dad. And who's to say Goku didn't come back and visit his family? I know Bulma said something about Goku not visiting for 5 years, but still, he'd visit at least once.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:24 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Asura wrote:

Like I said, characters in Dragon Ball don't get emotional like in real-life. They don't get in trouble at school because they're having "problems at home". Anyway, after Boo Arc, Goten did get Goku for 10 years, and after those 10 years, Goten's 17 and girls are more important to him than bonding time with his dad. And who's to say Goku didn't come back and visit his family? I know Bulma said something about Goku not visiting for 5 years, but still, he'd visit at least once.

Yeah, I know, just would be interesting to see them have some more emotions towards family, hah.

ShiningMoon
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShiningMoon » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:39 am

This seems kind of silly, I guess, but I always (okay, not always) wondered about things like the psychological effects of going Super Saiyajin. Like, to me it seems like those who do tend to lose a certain amount of mental, er, presence. Do they remember everything that happened in that state? Do they do things they normally wouldn't? (Like I think we can agree that by and large, Goku's first ascent opens up a pretty scary part of his character, where I think he acts differently than he maybe even would have in a similarly enraged state prior to going Super. But then that kind of gets forgotten about. It would be interesting to know about Gohan's thoughts/feelings on how he acted after he "snapped" against Cell.) I guess this is less the case with young Goten and Trunks, which is something else again that I'd like to know more about. (How/why it happened to them, etc.)

Also, it would have been kind of cool to know more about Seventeen and Eighteen, before they were made into cyborgs and so on.

Of course the beautiful thing about all the stuff we have to speculate on in the DB universe is that we have so much freedom to write about them and have all sorts of interesting discussions.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:47 am

Raditz: Come on, the guy's Goku's brother.
Vegeta and Piccolo's Rivalry: I never got to see Piccolo wipe the floor with Vegeta's face. :cry: There was so much tension between the two during the late Freeza and early Artificial Human/Cell Arcs.

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:11 am

ShiningMoon wrote:Goku's first ascent opens up a pretty scary part of his character, where I think he acts differently than he maybe even would have in a similarly enraged state prior to going Super. But then that kind of gets forgotten about.
Now that you mention it, that's always bugged me. It's like once it was decided that everyone would be able to unlock the transformation and it wasn't 'special' anymore, that aspect of it was completely dropped. I always liked it because truly, the way the legend had been described prior to that point, and things like Ginyu and Vegeta saying that there's no way Gokou was the Super Saiyajin because he was too soft and gentle and the Super Saiyajin was supposed to be merciless...and truly, it was an aspect of Gokou that we never really saw before that point. In the end his decision to spare Freeza seemed to be a struggle, the true Gokou vs. his current form, and it showed that because Gokou is Gokou, he can still hold onto his personality even after unlocking that rage...but after that, it was like yeah, whatever, the only difference is blonde hair and a huge-ass power increase. Bleh.
Steam Name: SG2
Discord Tag: Esjitu#4064

"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe

ShiningMoon
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShiningMoon » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:00 pm

Suupaa Gohan 2 wrote:Now that you mention it, that's always bugged me. It's like once it was decided that everyone would be able to unlock the transformation and it wasn't 'special' anymore, that aspect of it was completely dropped. I always liked it because truly, the way the legend had been described prior to that point, and things like Ginyu and Vegeta saying that there's no way Goku was the Super Saiyajin because he was too soft and gentle and the Super Saiyajin was supposed to be merciless...and truly, it was an aspect of Goku that we never really saw before that point. In the end his decision to spare Freeza seemed to be a struggle, the true Goku vs. his current form, and it showed that because Goku is Goku, he can still hold onto his personality even after unlocking that rage...but after that, it was like yeah, whatever, the only difference is blonde hair and a huge-ass power increase. Bleh.
Yeah, I think they could have done some pretty interesting stuff if they would have kept the whole scary rage/losing oneself bit. As SSJ2 was introduced, it probably would have been an extension of this (well, we kind of see this with Gohan, but then that's already been established as Gohan's "thing," the crazy rage/crazy strength) and if that would have been the case then I think SSJ3 Goku would have been creepy as hell. (I did this doodle related to this a few days ago.) I mean, heck, it's all there -- SSJ3 even looks less "human," so it would have been so cool if Goku's behavior reflected this. (I kind of plop him on his own human<----->Saiyajin continuum, and it seems the stronger he gets, the more he progresses toward the Saiyajin side.)

Agreed; it was kind of chilling to go from "bah, he could never be the Super Saiyajin, look how nice he is!" to this sort of self-fulfilling prophecy (that's probably not the right way to put it, but). That Goku acted that way at all (as you mentioned, that his deciding to spare Freeza seemed a struggle for him) is, I think, a cue to us that the behavior change was caused by the transformation.

chaosakita
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chaosakita » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:25 pm

I would've liked to see Gohan's potential psychological issues expanded on. But this is Dragonball, a manga for 8 year olds, so obviously that isn't happening.

Savage68

Post by Savage68 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:39 pm

... Psychological issues? What you see is what you get in DB. Gohan was just a crybaby-turned-crybaby-turned-badass-turned-nerd-turned-useless.

chaosakita
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chaosakita » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:27 pm

Obviously, Toriyama didn't want to push the story in that direction, and it can be justified story-wise, but I think it would've been interesting to see with how Gohan would deal with the things that would be traumatic with other people (dad dying-twice, training with Piccolo, going to Namek, etc).