What is the worst ever thing that happened to Dragonball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Goten Forever
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What is the worst ever thing that happened to Dragonball?

Post by Goten Forever » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:38 am

IMO... GT.

Okay, they started off with making the main character back into a child. That just ruins how we've seen goku grow up.

Then they send him off into space with his really annoying grandkid and his nemesis' son, leaving his OWN underrated son on Earth because Goten turned into a total faggot since a decade ago and was cancelling a date with his redneck girlfriend.
Then it takes thirty episodes to see anyone on Earth, and that's just when Gohan and Videl (Gohan also an idiot and Videl... looking like a grandma) are worrying about Pan, who is currently getting eaten by a blob). Vegeta is stupid... his hair was cut and he wears a moustache. Kind of reminds me of Charlie Swan from Twilight.

So they turn everyone evil. Goten kills his redneck girlfriend (YES!) and, like some sort of lice, the evil spreads.

The only good to come out of this is ssj4.
SON GOTEN FTW
except GT Goten
Especially after he went out with Paresu-chan

Rory
I Live Here

Re: What is the worst ever thing that happened to Dragonball?

Post by Rory » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:04 am

You really are that generic "DBZ IS SO HARDCORE" kid aren't you?
I'm pretty sure a lot of people on this board liked the whole 'Travelling through space' concept, and fun stuff much more than the lousy action which was featured in GT.
If you've watched the end of Z (or anything further than the Artificial Humans arc), you'll notice that Vegeta is no longer Goku's nemesis, and they're actually friends by the end of the series.
I'm of the camp that thinks Goten was nothing special to begin with. A blatant Goku clone who couldn't think for himself, he was just an extension of Trunks' personlity. Don't think his girlfriend was a "redneck" either.
Vegeta's hair is pretty lame, yes.
"Faggot" is a word I can see you getting in trouble for, just letting you know.

Goten Forever
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Goten Forever » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:29 am

Rory wrote:You really are that generic "DBZ IS SO HARDCORE" kid aren't you?
I'm pretty sure a lot of people on this board liked the whole 'Travelling through space' concept, and fun stuff much more than the lousy action which was featured in GT.
If you've watched the end of Z (or anything further than the Artificial Humans arc), you'll notice that Vegeta is no longer Goku's nemesis, and they're actually friends by the end of the series.
I'm of the camp that thinks Goten was nothing special to begin with. A blatant Goku clone who couldn't think for himself, he was just an extension of Trunks' personlity. Don't think his girlfriend was a "redneck" either.
Vegeta's hair is pretty lame, yes.
"Faggot" is a word I can see you getting in trouble for, just letting you know.
What you say is true, but a Goku clone is better than a stupid man who acts like a 14 year old british kid. Also I am british so don't give me crap about saying that, because all my peers are texting their stupid, £400 phones.
I said those words, realising they may seem offensive, because.. well, they are the best way to describe them. Someone who lives in the country and has never really known enough of the world to eat ice cream with a spoon may be called a Redneck by people trying to point out their idiocy. Especially on the net.

Okay, 'faggot' was unacceptable, but I couldn't come up with a decent 1 word response.

My words are true though too.
SON GOTEN FTW
except GT Goten
Especially after he went out with Paresu-chan

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Post by Necrosaber » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:01 am

Goten Forever wrote:IMO... GT.

Okay, they started off with making the main character back into a child. That just ruins how we've seen goku grow up.

Then they send him off into space with his really annoying grandkid and his nemesis' son, leaving his OWN underrated son on Earth because Goten turned into a total faggot since a decade ago and was cancelling a date with his redneck girlfriend.
Then it takes thirty episodes to see anyone on Earth, and that's just when Gohan and Videl (Gohan also an idiot and Videl... looking like a grandma) are worrying about Pan, who is currently getting eaten by a blob). Vegeta is stupid... his hair was cut and he wears a moustache. Kind of reminds me of Charlie Swan from Twilight.

So they turn everyone evil. Goten kills his redneck girlfriend (YES!) and, like some sort of lice, the evil spreads.

The only good to come out of this is ssj4.
Did you actually see all of GT? Or just clips from here and there? I just ask because I mean..Vegeta had a mustache for about 5 seconds, and that was for comic relief. Not sure why his hair being cut was stupid, but I guess that's just a personal thing. They become evil because they're being infected by Baby's cells..which obviously doesn't last. :lol:

I think the worst thing to happen to DB is the overexposure of Saiyans. I thought things got a little too serious after the original Dragonball and after it was all about the powerups and hair. Was really silly to be, but it grew on me eventually.

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:30 am

Broly
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:34 am

Toei, of all animation studios, being given the greenlight to animate the series.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:37 am

B wrote:Toei, of all animation studios, being given the greenlight to animate the series.
Can you imagine what Dragon Ball would look like if they gave the animation rights to Gainax? I'd guarantee at least 50% more panty shots of Bulma and Chi-Chi.

Or Ghibli. Now that would be all sorts of kick-ass.
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:41 am

I agree with the Broly answer.

Other than that, and I might get some heat for this, but I personally don't like how many video games they keep pumping out. They have a new video game every year and they became pretty much the same. Sometimes they'd release more than one per year (with Sagas and Super DBZ). I don't like that because when I was a kid and DBZ games were very rare, it would be a special feeling when I got to play them. The first Budokai was freaking awesome because it was a new DBZ game. But then they kept making them and I can't even look at them in stores anymore.

EnmaDaiou
Beyond Newbie

Post by EnmaDaiou » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:48 am

I don't know what's the worse thing..
But I know things I don't like.

- Fillers (too much) and movies in general. Specially Brolly.
- GT
- DB Evolution
- DBWikipedia (and untrustable fansites in general)
Capsule Corporation - New layout!!
Trying to be a great Brazilian portuguese DB site.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:52 am

B wrote:Toei, of all animation studios, being given the greenlight to animate the series.
This. They're also the reason for stupid, boring filler that makes no sense.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:21 pm

The dub.

Oh, and GT Vegeta is like Charlie Swan from Twilight? That's good, he's the only likable character in that panty wetting shitty franchise.

Don't. Diss. Moustaches.

What was that about being British and texting on phones? I don't get that...

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:23 pm

EnmaDaiou wrote:I don't know what's the worse thing..
But I know things I don't like.

- Fillers (too much) and movies in general. Specially Brolly.
- GT
- DB Evolution
- DBWikipedia (and untrustable fansites in general)
Most certainly agreed.
Piccolo Daimao wrote: This. They're also the reason for stupid, boring filler that makes no sense.
A lot of the good things would be different as well, you can't just take away a negative and expect the positive to remain positive.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

angelus0901
Beyond Newbie

Post by angelus0901 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:10 pm

That all negative Dragon Ball energy crap in GT that caused the shadow dragons to appear, I hated that!!!
What the Helheim?!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:37 pm

Budogenkai wrote:Broly
Seconded.

Dragon Ball gains too much of a stigma of "nothing but big muscular men mindlessly hitting things" as it is already. Broly is the very personification of that bad stereotype.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:20 pm

The cartoon for Dragon Ball Z. It's a bloated mess that's three times as long as it needed to. Instead of immediately adapting the comic into a cartoon they should've waited until it was over. Instead of constantly struggling with staying behind the comic, resulting in mind-numbingly awful filler, we could have gotten a properly paced, faithful adaptation of the comic.
­

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:04 pm

Goten Forever wrote:Goten turned into a total faggot since a decade ago and was cancelling a date with his redneck girlfriend.
Er, that's some...colorful language, there. Not really necessary or entirely acceptable on this board, IMO, you may wanna watch out for that.

And if you're a Brit, why the Hell are you calling Goten a cigarette?

Anyways, I'm no doubt going to come off as the stereotypical elitist Japanese fan for saying this, but quite honestly, the English dub is IMO the worst thing that has happened to Dragonball. GT wasn't great, but it was what it was, ran its course, and isn't exactly the highlight of the franchise to most people, so it's easily ignored. The results the English dub had on the fandom, however, are not so easy to ignore. They're invasive, full of misinformation (by and large that misinformation has been corrected in subsequent releases, but the stains left behind by Bardock being a brilliant scientist or Freeza being the reason Vegeta was so gosh darned evil can never really be erased), rife with completely different characterizations (Gokou is not 'the answer to all living things that cry out for peace' and all that shit), and the bad voice acting and replaced music is only the icing on the cake. For a decade, English-speaking fans have been primarily treated to a sub-par adaptation of the series (this applies to both the Ocean and FUNimation versions after they branched off). Did they still enjoy it? Well, I think the answers to that are obvious. But the series they're enjoying is not the same product as that which the rest of the world got, which is something those of us on this board are constantly reminded of. We wouldn't have these types of wars flare up if the series got a proper dub. I feel that if the show was never picked up way back in the '90's, then none of this would have happened...once Anime became more widespread in the US, and the trends reversed to dubs being good, more often than not, someone could have gotten it right the first time.

Admittedly, that someone would probably not be FUNimation...it makes me sad to say it, but DBZ was the property with which they got their feet wet, and if they hadn't made and learned from so many of the mistakes they made with this series, they wouldn't have matured into what is in my opinion the most fantastic English dubbing company active right now. They wouldn't have produced all-time favorites of mine like FullMetal Alchemist or Yuu Yuu Hakusho, both of which I vastly prefer the dubs to the Japanese. Without it, we probably wouldn't have FUNimation as they are right now, or the fantastic work they produce...nonetheless, I can't help but feel that had they held off on dubbing the series for another ten years, it could have been adapted properly the first time. Overzealous censorship and music replacement would likely be a complete non-issue (look at Naruto for instance, which, say what you will about the voice cast, is a pretty fantastic dub for the target audience, which is the same as DBZ's was 10 years ago...I think I can safely say American children watching Naruto in English are experiencing the same Naruto as Japanese fans). I don't think the issue on voices between sub and dub fans could ever go away completely, but if the product we got in the first place was on par with Kai, then I think the majority of us who favor the Japanese would have little to no complaints. DBZ was an unfortunate victim of the times, and its popularity and huge marketability let it remain a victim for over a decade...to where even today, though they've made great strides to right almost all their past wrongs, FUNi still can't get it 100% right. Fans are too used to voices like Gokou and Vegeta, and the fan outcry to changing them, even for the sake of making them more appropriate, would cause too much backlash. There's already quite a bit of backlash for the existing recasts, and the loss of Falconer's score. Again, these are all things that, had they been done right the first time, wouldn't even be issues. Half the discussions and arguments in the English-speaking community would be gone. YouTube videos wouldn't all inevitably evolve into flame wars. We wouldn't have to have word filters on this forum to correct misspelled names (I know it's wrong, but Dammit, I wanna spell Gokou's name with the -ou spelling!!). The list goes on.

The bottom line is that all fans, no matter their version, would still be discussing the same series...which is sadly not the case right now. It still baffles me how often I come across fans who are almost completely unaware of just how different the dub is from the original...and that the problems aren't all 'hey this voice sucks'. They just don't care enough about the original version, because what they're used to is 'good enough' for them, and they don't realize that yeah, it really is like a completely different series. It owes to the way fans see story arcs and characters in entirely different ways (classic example, Vegeta). The English dub had a colossal effect on the fandom for the series as a whole, and I think we can all agree - dub and sub fans alike - that the majority of those effects have been negative.

So yeah...there's my (wall of text) worst thing. Like I said, like it or hate it, GT is fairly easy to ignore in the fandom as a whole...but dub vs. sub wars will probably never go away.
Steam Name: SG2
Discord Tag: Esjitu#4064

"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:10 pm

Suupaa Gohan 2 wrote:
Goten Forever wrote:Goten turned into a total faggot since a decade ago and was cancelling a date with his redneck girlfriend.
Er, that's some...colorful language, there. Not really necessary or entirely acceptable on this board, IMO, you may wanna watch out for that.

And if you're a Brit, why the Hell are you calling Goten a cigarette?
Actually fag is cigarette here, faggot is a meatball. :D

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:45 pm

Having more than one Super Saiyan.

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:50 pm

Zephyr wrote:Having more than one Super Saiyan.
Then everyone would have been killed by 17 & 18. See Trunks' future, the only difference being Gohan and Trunks' can't transform.
Gaffer Tape wrote:
Perfect wrote:
Zephyr wrote:Having more than one Super Saiyan.
Then everyone would have been killed by 17 & 18. See Trunks' future, the only difference being Gohan and Trunks' can't transform.
You do realize you're talking about a work of fiction, and that the story's not a foregone conclusion, right? If Toriyama had decided to only have one blonde guy, all the characters would still be as strong or as weak as the plot required them to be.
That's like saying, Cell wouldn't have Solar Flared if the author didn't want him to.
Other examples:
-If Toriyama wanted Freeza to die by the Spirit Bomb he would have.
-If Toriyama wanted Majin Buu to be a good guy and Dabura to be the ultimate evil, he could have done so.
-If Toriyama wanted Goku to die and be wiped out of existence, the afterlife included, so be it.
-If Toriyama wanted Piccolo to became the strongest ever by fusing with Kami-sama, then so be it.
-If Toriyama wanted Cell to become a pansy and start crying during the Cell Games and give Goku a big hug and kiss, so be it.
-If Toriyama wanted the story to follow Captain Ginyu after "permanently" switching bodies with Goku, then so be it.

If there was one Super Saiyan, they would all be toast. You're point is entirely moot because you're relying on the old cliched, "If the author wants it that way that's what it's gonna be" ploy, which is not the case here. This is logically taking aspects from the continuity of the story and watching what happens without them. With "only one Super Saiyan", it'd be likely Trunks never came. Goku would die, everyone would die, Gohan being the last.

If Trunks did come, though without the power of transforming, the butterfly effect comes into play again. It's possible such a little change would make a little or huge disturbance. Then you have Cell. Trunks had initially come from a paradox of a previous time line, whereas Cell stems from the time line where Trunks had gone into the past and found the blueprints to Seventeen.

Piccolo would be the main player in the game up until Cell becomes complete at which point he'd kill everyone.
Possible excuses to this: "Goku reaches SSJ2", "Piccolo trains and becomes stronger than Cell", "Vegeta becomes stronger than Cell in his base, but still fails at becoming a Super Saiyan".

Piccolo becoming stronger than Perfect Cell would break the continuity for one (might as well give Piccolo a beam that's created for destroying Kaioshin, thus turning him evil in the process. And might as well render flying useless because the author decided chi got bored and flipped everyone off. Yes the living energy of creatures is now a person), and Goku becoming SSJ2 so early would also break the continuity. But wait! The author says he can do it, therefore it can happen! That's like making Goku's outfit blue in one panel and purple in the next, it doesn't work. The entire series would have to change, villains, basically the entire plot.

But then people forget it's a weekly serialization, and changing the plot around would cause major inconsistencies.
So rather Trunks didn't come, they all die. Rather he did, they all die. That's speaking from two perspectives,
one where if Toriyama were to try and create a consistent continuity after Freeza with Goku being the only Super Saiyan and two being what if the story went in the same direction it was going and only Goku was a Super Saiyan.

Overall, the only way it'd work is if they had a super dues ex machina or just one hell of an inconsistent time line.
Last edited by Perfect on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Keamy

Post by Keamy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:07 pm

While I liked reading the who Buu saga...I found watching it a whole different story.
Also the style and designs on the characters towards the end always pissed me off....everyone got, like...ugly as fuck. I mean I know they aged, but stillll.
Oh and too many "this character gets married, fucks, and has a kid" and all that. Hated the idea of Goten especially.
I was fine with the Cell parts in the story but beyond that...it grew kind of pointless and repetitive to me.

Never watched the movies but the first time I was Broly I was pretty much like..."uh...for REAL?"
GT bothered me as well (style was just...BARF and the new Super Saiyan forms were stupid to me).
Late last night and the night before
Tommyknockers, Tommyknockers,
knocking at the door.
I want to go out, don't know if I can,
'cause I'm so afraid
of the Tommyknocker man.
My name is Zep, as in Hindle. If you call me Keamy instead, it's Kay-mee, not Kee-mee, there is a difference. And dammit Serp, my name is not spelled "Kreamy".