Reasons why Budokai Tenkaichi/Sparking won't surpass B3.

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Reasons why Budokai Tenkaichi/Sparking won't surpass B3.

Post by Conan the SSJ » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:48 am

And by surpass, I mean not be any than Budokai 3 proved to be. Well let's see, first off:

There making it so transformed characters are different characters entirly (remember GT Final Bout?).

There using the basic story-line without any originality, and going simply from Raditz to Buu with no OG Dragonball or GT (and if you all recall, Budokai 3 did have Kid Goku as well as GT plots in a few DU character modes).

They replaced it with a new engine and it'll allegedly be the best, however the engine in Budokai 3 had everything anyone couold ask: RPG elements in DU, teleportation, the Rakurai system, and even free flight (tap back twice and press up to any bakas that didn't discover that).

It's only giving 60-something characters, however quite a number of those are likly to be the same character but in a different form.

No confirmation for live online play.

Only being released for the PS2, once more the Gamecube owners must wait.

Most likly to get the full-force $50 amount of purchasing value.

It seems more of a continuation of the Sagas game than the Budokais, despite it being done in Japan.

It's only probable advantage over Budokai 3 may be it's graphics, but then cell-shaded graphics are the only right way for a DBZ game, just look at Sagas.

It's giving a story mode which can be found in any other DBZ game, and the Janemba aspect can be found in Buu's Fury.

Need I say more?
14 years later

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:48 am

There making it so transformed characters are different characters entirly (remember GT Final Bout?).
Where did you hear that?

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:15 am

It's only giving 60-something characters, however quite a number of those are likly to be the same character but in a different form.
Pretty much the same reasons? And it hasn't been confirmed yet...
It seems more of a continuation of the Sagas game than the Budokais, despite it being done in Japan.
It looks rather more like 3D Supersonic Warriors, but I still don't see what the direct relation is with the topic; does the fact it doesn't look like Budokai immediately means it won't surpass Budokai 3? >.>
Idem dito....doesn't mean the game cannot be better dan Budokai 3...
There using the basic story-line without any originality, and going simply from Raditz to Buu with no OG Dragonball or GT (and if you all recall, Budokai 3 did have Kid Goku as well as GT plots in a few DU character modes).
It's giving a story mode which can be found in any other DBZ game, and the Janemba aspect can be found in Buu's Fury.
Again the same reasons? :P And IMHO it doesn't matter that much; I like AU, but if the gameplay is better, I would rather choose the game with better gameplay than the story with more AU's.
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Xyex
I Live Here

Re: Reasons why Budokai Tenkaichi/Sparking won't surpass B3.

Post by Xyex » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:14 am

Ehem. There's a LOT of guessing and false info in your post my friend. Let's examine, shall we?
Conan the SSJ wrote:And by surpass, I mean not be any than Budokai 3 proved to be. Well let's see, first off:

Incorrect! At this time it is uncertain if they shall be seperate or transformable during battles. All we have is the Demo version with a single selectable state. As we know the game wont be that way it's safe to assume they merely included in the demo what they had working.
Incorrect! It's been said time and time again that Sparking! shall include all new what if points and plots. From the information we have now they have not removed but added.
They replaced it with a new engine and it'll allegedly be the best, however the engine in Budokai 3 had everything anyone couold ask: RPG elements in DU, teleportation, the Rakurai system, and even free flight (tap back twice and press up to any bakas that didn't discover that).
Indeed, I liked B3's engine. But I like Sparking!'s engine far more. It still has teleportation (Goku Vs. Cell showed that), there shall be a 10 stat system for leveling instead of 7, and this has 'true' free flight. Instead of just landing/taking off at will you can go left and right, up and down, etc as you please without staying in a line with your opponent.
Wrong! It was said at E3 there are 60+, 90+ counting transformations. SO! Even if they ARE seperate, there's still 60 completely different characters in the game. 8)
No confirmation for live online play.
And it not having a feature that B3 didn't have makes it worse than B3? ... :shock: ...
So what? It's not JUST these games, and again, it changes nothing about the game. If you want it that much get a PS2! You don't see me complaining that Metroid isn't on the PS2.
Er, duh?
HOW MANY TIMES DO I NEED TO SAY THIS! Sparking! is being made by SPIKE while Budokai was DIMPS. It's not a continuation of ANYTHING. I'm getting sick of repeating this over and over! It's a new game with ideas borrowed from the Budokai series but it's not a part of ANY series!
It's only probable advantage over Budokai 3 may be it's graphics, but then cell-shaded graphics are the only right way for a DBZ game, just look at Sagas.

Cel-shaded isn't the ONLY right way to do Z, it's just the easiest. And um, refer to my earlier comments about the new what if stuff. Also, Janemeba is in LoG3, ya, but LoG3 isn't a fighting game. Geez.
Need I say more?
No, I think you proved pretty well that you don't know what you're talking about. :D
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Adnan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adnan » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:03 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:And by surpass, I mean not be any than Budokai 3 proved to be. Well let's see, first off:

It's "They're" as in "They are".

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:10 pm

Xyex wrote:
HOW MANY TIMES DO I NEED TO SAY THIS! Sparking! is being made by SPIKE while Budokai was DIMPS. It's not a continuation of ANYTHING. I'm getting sick of repeating this over and over! It's a new game with ideas borrowed from the Budokai series but it's not a part of ANY series!
And from the looks of it from other games such as Virtua On and/or Zone of the Enders, but that's not a bad thing. =)

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:29 pm

Xyex wrote:So what? It's not JUST these games, and again, it changes nothing about the game. If you want it that much get a PS2! You don't see me complaining that Metroid isn't on the PS2.
Eh, FYI, I DO have a PS2, however I'm speaking for the Gamecube owners out there without means of getting a PS2, and while I may not be right about all my statments, I still believe it won't be as good as Budokai 3. And by the way, no confirmation for OG Dragonball nor GT for playable characters or story-mode elements confirmed, so enjoy what SPIKE is giving, hopefully it'll be worth ther $50 I'll pay. The only reason I'm getting it, same reason I got Sagas: for the collection purpose, though I am expecting this game to far surpass the first two Budokais, as well as Sagas. But in the end, it won't touch Budokai 3, I'll believe it when I play it.
14 years later

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:35 pm

Wow, this is a baseless topic, driven by assumptions and disinformation. Way to go Conan!

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:36 am

lost in thought wrote:Wow, this is a baseless topic, driven by assumptions and disinformation. Way to go Conan!
Heh, no-one's perfect, but basicly the info I gave was based on the demo provided at E3, so I suppose SPIKE still has time to change and improve upon a few things, however I won't be expecting any OG Dragonball or GT elements, Raditz to Kid Buu is all we're supposedly getting from what was stated :cry: .
14 years later

Gamingdevil
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gamingdevil » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:55 am

Does that make the game any worse? :o Who cares if you can't get to the plotholed GT? Just enjoy the game in Z, big deal :roll:
Who said life isn't a game?

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:36 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:
lost in thought wrote:Wow, this is a baseless topic, driven by assumptions and disinformation. Way to go Conan!
Heh, no-one's perfect, but basicly the info I gave was based on the demo provided at E3, so I suppose SPIKE still has time to change and improve upon a few things, however I won't be expecting any OG Dragonball or GT elements, Raditz to Kid Buu is all we're supposedly getting from what was stated :cry: .
That's the same as B3. Only Raditz to Kid Buu was techincally covered. There were still GT and DB elements in B3. They were bonus elements.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:08 am

Gamingdevil wrote:Does that make the game any worse? :o Who cares if you can't get to the plotholed GT? Just enjoy the game in Z, big deal :roll:
Oh, okay, get the same characters we've had in the past 4 PS2 DBZ games, with only Janemba, the rest of the Ginyu Senshi, and probably a couple other newbies from "Z" being additions. Damnet, it's not just gameplay, because I personaly would prefer newer characters from the original Dragonball and even GT series', both of those series' had awesome fighters, Budokai 3 proved that by sampling us with OG Dragonball's Kid Goku (and Piccolo Daimou for the Japanese and SCE versions), as well as GT's Uub, Xing Shinron, and the SSJ4 forms of Goku, Vegeta, and Gogeta. There's so many other characters from outside "Z" that would be fantastic to play as in BT, but our likly to not get the playing chance, for example:

Original Dragonball;
Kame Sennin
Taopaipa
Pilaf-in-Roboti
Tamborine
Giran
Grandpa Gohan
Teen Chichi
Kami

GT;
Adult Goten
Pan
Goku Jr.
Ledgic
Rilldo
Bebi
Suu Shinron
San Shinron
14 years later

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:53 am

Umm... the Uub in Budokai 3 is from DBZ. Otherwise he would have been taller, more powerful, and had a blue-grey gi.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:51 am

Um...about the story line. Some of you may want to check this out,
http://e3.playstation.com/video/index.a ... c_08_l.swf
For those who couldn't be bothered watching the vid, it basically says that there is the normal story (the Dragonball we all know and love) and also a completely new story that includes new characters and events.
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

Gamingdevil
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gamingdevil » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:32 pm

It looks pretty nice to me, only way to tell is to play it of course, but I have good hopes.
Who said life isn't a game?

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:31 am

I like the sound of the new storyline that incorperates new characters. We all pretty much knwo the DBZ story off by heart so games that purely focus on that don't really offer anything new.

IF BT doesn't have in-game transformations, then I will be dissapointed. I love being able to transform where and when I want and while I haven't practised any, I know there are a number of combos that can be done using transformations that can do a helluva lot of damage to the enemy.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:11 am

Conan as a Gamecube owner (and more recently a PS2 owner) let me say you are not speaking for us cube owners here. We can wait just fine, while I have a PS2, I have B1 and B2 on cube and cant wait to get 3 when Tenkaichi is released on PS2 and lord hoping it too will hit the cube but if it doesnt for some reason its not evil of them - system exclusives happen - therres no Batern Kaitos or Tales of Symphonia on PS2 (Well ToS is on PS2 in Japan only but not in the US). Third party exclusives arent a bad thing it keeps this market from being oversaturated ajnd allows bigger competition which keeps prices down. If it was everything on everythiong the market would not be as robust.

As for everything else, uh yeah you're going off wild assumptions.
-Laserkid