Ashy-kun's Name Translations & Transliterations

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Ashy-kun's Name Translations & Transliterations

Post by Ashy-kun » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:14 am

Umm, yes, this may seem like a pointless topic, but I've been thinking it over for a while. I have been seen using different spellings for certain names, certain titles, and I can imagine it can be both confusing and annoying. So I thought "Let's list my name deviations and explain what the hell I'm spelling it like that for."

This list isn't exhaustive, and I shall try and edit when I can, to make it easier to read and also include names I forget to list here. If I don't list a name, it's probably most likely that I've forgotten it, or I spell it standardly anyway. (Note, there are some Chinese character names. I may inconsistently use the Japanese transliteration, due to laziness of looking for the accents on the letters, etc. Pinyin is fun.)

To show the names, I shall spell it out the way I spell it and then put in brackets the more standard spellings people use.

Main Characters
  • Son Gokuu (Son Goku/Gokou/Gokuh - in other words, our main monkey dude, the retarded hick)
  • Kurilin (Kuririn/Krillin - in other words, the little short dude who just wants to get married for once) - Spelling it like this allows for the "Kuri" part of the name to stay in tact, as well as the "lin", as in "shaolin". In other words, we see that Kurilin is a "chestnut shaolin disciple", "chestnut-lin" if you will. Incidentally, this spelling also allows for a fun little pun, in that Kurilin could be translated as "chestnut forest".
  • Yum-Cha/Yǐnchá (Yamucha/Yamcha) - I spell it like this because this is the more Chinese spelling, which does work in that he appears at the very start, when the manga has more of a Chinese feel (Journey to the West and all).
  • Tiānjīnfàn (Tenshinhan) - Again, going with the Chinese feel, as the food's name comes from a Chinese city. Plus, I like the idea of having him with a Chinese style name, along with Jiaozi.
  • Jiǎozi (Chaozu) - Once again, going with the Chinese naming.
  • Vegeeta (Vegeta) - I've been spelling it as "Vegeta" for so long, and yet I just realised. ベジタブル is the katakana for "Vegetable" ("Bejitaburu"), and Vegeeta has the katakana ベジータ or "Bejiita". So the "Vege" part has an elongated second "e". Therefore I spell it as "Vegeeta".
  • Blooma (Buruma/Bulma) - I use this spelling to bring out the "Bloomers" pun more. That said, there is the song "Koi no Nazonazo" which has the spelling "Bulma". However, at the same time, we're talking about the same country that brings us spellings like "Gokou" and "Frieza", alongside other spellings.
Saiyans
  • Cacarrotto (Kakarotto/Kakarot) - I went with the way of spelling this, to highlight the "Carrot" pun. However, noticing that the katakana has an extra stress on "to", i.e. it is "rotto", I used to spell it "Cacarott". And then I figured "Well, there's already an extra 'ca', so what harm will an 'o' do at the end?" Plus, it fits lip flaps so much easier.
  • Raditts (Raditz) - Simply put, I'm going off the katakana.
  • Burdack (Bardock) - Again, going with the katakana and the most like "Burdock" that the name can get with its little tweaking.
  • Pumbkin (Panbukin/Shugesh) - Reflecting the change from "P" to "B". Simple as that.
  • Totapo (Totepo/Borgos) - Again, just making the name look as much of an anagram of its original word "Potato".
  • Brolee (Broli/Broly) - I used to spell it "Broli" to highlight the "Broccoli" pun, but I use "ee" to highlight the extended "ii" at the end of "Burorii".
  • Tarble (Table) - Again, like his big brother, Tarble has an extended "a" sound, "Taaburu", so I put it in the "R" to reflect this.
Freeza and Co.
  • Freeza - Simple. I'm using the most liked spelling, and I am pointing out the "Freezer" pun, while not going against the katakana.
  • Coola (Cooler) - Same as with Freeza.
  • Kewi (Cui) - I wanted to reflect the "kyu" in Kewi's name, and also reflect the "Kiwi" pun, so I used the spelling "Cew", which can be pronounced like a "Cue", and used a "K" at the start, to make the whole name look like "Kiwi".
  • Duduria (Dodoria) - Dodoria's name comes from the durian fruit (pronounced "Dorian" in Japanese), so again, we're highlighting the name of the original fruit.
  • Jarbon (Zarbon) - This one was interesting. It comes from "Zabon", which in turn comes from "Zamboa", "Jabong", and different variations, all stemming from the fruit pomelo/grapefruit/shaddock. I decided it was best to go with a combination of all, and the extra "R" comes from the extended "a" in "Zabon" ("Zaabon"). As it happens, "J" should be softened, like in French.
  • Appoole (Appule) - Highlighting the "Apple" pun and using "oo" instead of "u" because "pule" could be read as "Pyul".
  • Thouser (Salza/Sauzer) - Highlighting the thousand island dressing pun.
  • Naise (Neiz) - Highlighting the "Mayonnaise" pun.
  • Drre (Doore) - The "dressing" pun, with an extended sound on the "Do".
Ginyuu Special Squadron
  • Ginyuu - Going with this spelling is the way it is in the katakana, but also the word "ginyuu" is in the word "ginyuushijin", which is a "minstrel". That kinda works out conveniently.
  • Ghurd - Reflecting the pun on "Yoghurt", keeping the "H" in.
  • Reacoom - Reflecting the "cream" pun.
  • Jhees - A reflection on "Cheese" and how the softened "se" comes a hardened "s". Incidentally, the "Jh" should be pronounced softly, to further reflect how the softening of the "s" has been moved.
  • Bertta - An anagram of "Batter", admittedly, but as the "u" in "butter" would be rendered "aa" in Japanese, I went with the single "a" present in the katakana. Hence, it looks like "batter" instead. It was that or the very odd looking "Berrtu/Berttuh".
For now, I'm stopping, and as I said, this is by no means an exhaustive list. It's just I'm taking a break thus far, and will update it bit by bit.
Last edited by Ashy-kun on Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Your freelance, amateur translator, with over a year's worth of self-taught experience. Once an honorary member of Team Kinniku, and a man with his work shown in various places here and there. If you have a song you'd like me to look over, I'll happily look it over and see if I can translate it for you.

Most Recent Song Added to Ashy-kun's Song Translation Topic: Yoake no Kodomo-tachi (Translated: The Children of the Dawn)

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Ashy-kun's Name Translations

Post by Shoryuken » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:52 am

Not being an ass or anything but shouldn't this topic be called Ashy-kun's Translitterations?
BTW in the Danish editions of Dragon Ball Freeza and Coola's names are spelt Freezer and Cooler.
これはシグネチャではない
Personal blog - myriadleaves.eu

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:47 pm

Shoryuken wrote:BTW in the Danish editions of Dragon Ball Freeza and Coola's names are spelt Freezer and Cooler.
That is true.

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:52 pm

Shoryuken wrote:Not being an ass or anything but shouldn't this topic be called Ashy-kun's Translitterations?
BTW in the Danish editions of Dragon Ball Freeza and Coola's names are spelt Freezer and Cooler.
Point taken, but a few things.

1) I am also translating some of the names, such as when things come to things like Majin Boo/Magical Being Boo. It just so happens that most of the names I have here are cases of my spellings, and just being puns and word rearrangements on Toriyama's part.

2) Since we're pointing out little errors, it's "Transliteration", there's no second "T".

3) ... Uhh... Okay? The Danish edition of Dragon Ball has Freeza and Coola spelt as Freezer and Cooler... Good for them? I'm pointing out how I translate and transliterate the names. What different languages do has no bearing or relevance to the topic.
Your freelance, amateur translator, with over a year's worth of self-taught experience. Once an honorary member of Team Kinniku, and a man with his work shown in various places here and there. If you have a song you'd like me to look over, I'll happily look it over and see if I can translate it for you.

Most Recent Song Added to Ashy-kun's Song Translation Topic: Yoake no Kodomo-tachi (Translated: The Children of the Dawn)

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Ashy-kun's Name Translations & Transliterations

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:23 am

Ooooh, I love these types of threads!

The one thing I have to ask you is: don't you think using the Chinese romanized spellings (with the accents and all) for Tenshinhan and Chaozu is a bit excessive? I mean, not many people are going to know which characters you're talking about if you call them that. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just curious.

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:05 pm

No, no, it's a fair comment. And really, I'm more likely to use Tenshinhan and Chaozu as spellings, anyway, if only through sheer laziness of not wanting to go through all the trouble of getting the Pinyin.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:28 am

Personally, I like the spelling Brolli because ブロリー is just ブロッコリー (broccoli) without the cco (ッコ), so logically the bro (ブロ) should still be pronounced the same. Therefore, after removing the cco (ッコ) from broccoli (ブロッコリー), I add an extra l to make up for the missing cc (ッ). So I end up with Brolli (ブロリー). I hate how the dub pronounces it like broccoli is spelt brocoli or something... :(
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:45 pm

These are really interesting.

I'm curious as hell as to how you spell the name of the girl on Bardock's (or would that be Burdack's?) team.
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:49 pm

Oh, I did forget that. I'll edit that in. I was thinking I'd probably go for Selypar, to make it a full anagram of Parsley.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:36 am

nathantheguitarist wrote:Bardock (or would that be Burdack's?)
Barduck is the most accurate in English, isn't it?

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:40 am

The Time Traveller wrote:
So, a duck goes into a bar and asks for a shot of sayan pride...

Freeza is the barman.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:40 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
For romanizations like these, one really isn't more "accurate" than the other. People choose to use certain ones because they feel they look better or convey the pun better.

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:33 pm

Indeed. And since the thing upon which Burdack's name is based is "Burdock", it only seemed to make sense, to me, to keep it as "Bur", as opposed to "Bar".

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:00 pm

My problem with "Burdock" is that changing the first half of the name to match the pun source ("baa[r]" to "bu[r]") changes the actual pronunciation of the name... and in the process, kinda changes the name itself.

There's a fine line between cleverly bringing out the pun source (like our favorite "Tullece", which preserves the rough pronunciation with a short "u" sound for an English speaker and plays back to "lettuce"), and just flat-out swapping syllables in the name just to be cute.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:08 pm

Well, according to Herms' Name Pun Round Up the character name is written exactly like the food (バーダック/Baadakku). This isn't a case of 'Freeza' where the name is altered. If they have the same Japanese kana spelling...why not use the same source English spelling?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:11 pm

That's a fair point -- if the Japanese write and pronounce it ("the name's inspirational loan word") the same way, then why not adjust our spelling accordingly?

I guess, for me, pronunciation is just as big a deal as spelling. I don't hear him being called "BURdock", so I don't spell it that way.

As I've talked about a lot with folks, personal name spellings and reasonings are so hilariously self-inconsistent that it becomes a laughable game... but a fun one, none-the-less :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:34 pm

I hope I don't come across as over-stepping the mark. I'm also writing this in a bad mood, so any snippiness should be ignored.

But in a way, I can see why you'd prefer to spell it out "Bardack" or "Bardock", or whatever, because it sounds like "Baadakku", the way it gets pronounced in Japanese. But technically isn't the name. After all, the Japanese do pronounce certain loanwords differently, just because of their way of writing out words. For instance, "Savate" comes out as "sobatto" (hence why there's a mistranslation of "Savate" in Deejay's attacks, in Street Fighter). By the logic of keeping the spelling to fit its pronunciation, should we spell it "Sovate?"

Or perhaps a better example? Gundam Wing. A certain blonde-haired pilot, Quatre Raberba Winner. Quatre comes out as "Katoru/Kattoru". In general, sounds like "Le" in French and such come out as "Ru", and similar rules apply. Though one could say that this is more because of French, etc.

Perhaps an even more relevant example would be... Hmm... Ghurd. It's almost universally agreed that the name comes from "Yoghurt". The "ghurt" in "Yoghurt" is spelt out in Japanese, "guruto". However, if one were to say "Yoghurt", we would say "gert", almost. If we were to reflect that in Japanese, that would be "gaato". Does that mean we should say that his name is instead "Ghuld", in other words "Guldo", a name that you would surely agree is less reflective of the pun?

Buuuuuut... Let's not argue over it. We can just agree to disagree. After all, I'm not looking for people to take my spellings as the standard. We can all have our own spellings. I'm just explaining why I use certain spellings, so people won't be confused. We're all allowed to have our own take on things.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:14 am

JulieYBM wrote:Well, according to Herms' Name Pun Round Up the character name is written exactly like the food (バーダック/Baadakku). This isn't a case of 'Freeza' where the name is altered. If they have the same Japanese kana spelling...why not use the same source English spelling?
Olivier Hague told me once that バードック/ba-dokku was more common in Japanese, so if anything, it should really be something like "Burdack," to reflect the change. (I think he's said that the only official alphabet spelling of the name that he's seen is "Barduck," though.) The start of the name's exactly the same as the real word, though. (I think they actually say ごぼう/gobou most of the time in real life, instead of the English word.)
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:30 am

VegettoEX wrote:As I've talked about a lot with folks, personal name spellings and reasonings are so hilariously self-inconsistent that it becomes a laughable game... but a fun one, none-the-less :).
Vegetto springs to mind, eh? :)

Kakarrot + Vegeta = Vegerot, not Vegetto.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:46 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote: Kakarrot + Vegeta = Vegerot, not Vegetto.
One of the reasons I spell Cacarrotto the way I do. ^_~ To keep at least "Vegetto" as a consistent spelling that makes sense... And to keep our wonderful master, VegettoEX happy. And hey, the kana for Vegetto even doesn't get affected by the way I spell Vegeeta. It's just Vegetto.