"Dragon Ball SD" in Saikyō Jump (UPDATE: Confirmed+Released)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball SD" Coming To Saikyō Jump (UPDATE: Confirmed)

Post by Michsi » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:41 am

Chuquita wrote: Aww. :(
Not that I don't like Kamesennin, I do like him, but when they say "popular character" I feel kind of misled by the advertisement.

Ah well. Still curious as to how it all plays out.

Kamesenin IS a popular character so I don't see how the advertisment is misleading. It really wouln't have made any sense for Vegeta to show up here.

The moment I saw the promo pic I knew it would be a "what might have happend during the 8 months of training " sort of story, one that doesn't actually interfer with the canon story line.

I think it looks very cute and I think it's closer to Toriyama's older style than the one he draws in now, which personally I like. I really hope it's not just a one shot.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:49 am

I think it does ignore the original story, actually (like EnmaDaiou said, it's a remake). It looks like Goku is actually trying out the Kamehameha for the first time ever, when attempting to save Kuririn...
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:30 am

Obviously it ignores the original story since Goku has the kintoun before he's even met Muten Roshi.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:36 am

Just finished reading it. Very cute little oneshot.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:37 am

I loved it! Ooishi sticks to the original's spirit. It was so darn adorable and funny! I'm excited to see how the rest of this story goes. Now, does this new magazine have new issues every week like the regular Shonen Jump?
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:46 am

I read it a few hours ago and I really enjoyed it. It was a very easy and fun read. Plus I loved the artwork.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:52 am

Love how Goku assumes Sea Turtle is the Turtle Hermit, similar to how he thought Bubbles was Kaio-sama. :lol:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:11 am

Tsukento wrote:Love how Goku assumes Sea Turtle is the Turtle Hermit, similar to how he thought Bubbles was Kaio-sama. :lol:
I know! I may even find it funnier because Umigame is even trying to tell him he's wrong, which Bubbles couldn't do. xD

Overall I thought it was fairly cute, which is expected for it being in a little kids magazine. I was kinda hoping that it would add content to the already existing manga, but a condensed remake isn't that bad either. The idea that I don't know exactly how things are going to play out intrigues me. Since it says to look forward to more exploits from Goku, I assume it will continue in some manner, so are Bulma and the others going to show up eventually? How are they going to go about introducing them? Fun, fun...I look forward to it all.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:17 pm

I'm interested by this art, although I am slightly disappointed that it's going to be a remake of Dragon Ball. I was sort of hoping that it would be something new, but no matter. At least it looks promising.

And some of you guys have been saying that you've read it already? How?
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

EnmaDaiou
Beyond Newbie

Post by EnmaDaiou » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:18 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:I'm interested by this art, although I am slightly disappointed that it's going to be a remake of Dragon Ball. I was sort of hoping that it would be something new, but no matter. At least it looks promising.

And some of you guys have been saying that you've read it already? How? :?
http://mangastream.com/read/dragon_ball_sd/41920400/1
Capsule Corporation - New layout!!
Trying to be a great Brazilian portuguese DB site.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:34 pm

EnmaDaiou wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:I'm interested by this art, although I am slightly disappointed that it's going to be a remake of Dragon Ball. I was sort of hoping that it would be something new, but no matter. At least it looks promising.

And some of you guys have been saying that you've read it already? How? :?
http://mangastream.com/read/dragon_ball_sd/41920400/1
Thanks.

I've just read it and...eh. The art's decent, but, as I said before, I was disappointed that it wasn't a brand new story and just a retread of the original series. And after reading it, revisiting moments in Dragon Ball that we've loved before is just...not the same. I wanted to like it, but I didn't.

Maybe, as they release more chapters, I'll get to like it a bit more. After all, this is only the first chapter and not much happened.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:00 pm

The art is nothing impressive for a official release. It looks pretty amateur (for a official release)... The art of most of the popular DB fan mangas is honestly better (DBM, DBAF and DB universe F). But I did somewhat enjoy the story, even though its nothing new.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:05 pm

The Goku & Krillin show, eh ?

Oh well, it's cute. :)

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:18 pm

rereboy wrote:The art is nothing impressive for a official release. It looks pretty amateur (for a official release)... The art of most of the popular DB fan mangas is honestly better (DBM, DBAF and DB universe F). But I did somewhat enjoy the story, even though its nothing new.
I agree completely.
For example, I think Roshi firing his Kamehameha could have been done better.

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball SD" in Saikyō Jump (UPDATE: Confirmed+Released)

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:41 pm

I'm not really complaining about the art because the way it's drawn represents what I "feel" it is: a simple retelling done for fun. If I wanted to, I could complain until the cows come home saying that it isn't drawn professionally, or anything along that, but I don't because I understand what this fun, little series is doing, and that it's retelling the story of Dragon Ball with a fun, happy look to it, but adding different elements and tiny changes to it.

In short, I'm happy to see something new regardless. :)
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:02 pm

Aww... That was cute. :D

I really enjoyed Kame Sennin just pulling a Piccolo and leaving them out in the wilderness. :lol:
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:04 pm

This was a fun little story. If this really does become a series, I could see Viz bringing it over as part of their Vizkids line.

EnmaDaiou
Beyond Newbie

Post by EnmaDaiou » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:32 pm

rereboy wrote:The art is nothing impressive for a official release. It looks pretty amateur (for a official release)... The art of most of the popular DB fan mangas is honestly better (DBM, DBAF and DB universe F). But I did somewhat enjoy the story, even though its nothing new.
I don't think that way. (about the art)
And I don't think DBM, DBAF or any other fanmade manga have better art.

I din't think DBSD have a great art..
But it's normal/good.
Simple and basic. For kids.
Capsule Corporation - New layout!!
Trying to be a great Brazilian portuguese DB site.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:42 pm

I have not complaints about the art either. In fact I liked it a lot, it was cute, simple, and fun. Just like the story.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:47 pm

I'm a bit disappointed. I don't think it had a single new joke. ^^"