Does anyone TRAIN in real life?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Does anyone TRAIN in real life?

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:34 pm

Godo wrote:I trained Karate for 6 years. I got pretty good at sparring, although my weakness is that I can't go all out, since I don't want to hurt another person.
Just like Cell Games Gohan? :P
Godo wrote:Nowadays I do cardio and bodybuilding. I try to not take the bodybuilding into the extremes, since we all saw how that went for Trunks!
:lol:
Godo wrote:My goals is to be able to defend myself, outrun someone who wants to hurt me, and survive kicks and blows without too much damage, as you kids like to jump on your victims' bodies nowadays, even when they are unconscious.
This is pretty much what I would like to be able to as well.
Currently I only train in a gym shifting between cardio and bodybuilding.
If I was to study a specific martial art, it would probably be Karate.

SSJ4_Zankuto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ4_Zankuto » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:07 pm

I'm training to sense Ki or Chi and I have developed ability to sense energy but only at beginner level and hoping to develope it.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:48 pm

SSJ4_Zankuto wrote:I'm training to sense Ki or Chi and I have developed ability to sense energy but only at beginner level and hoping to develope it.
Is this even possible?

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:49 pm

NeoKING wrote:
SSJ4_Zankuto wrote:I'm training to sense Ki or Chi and I have developed ability to sense energy but only at beginner level and hoping to develope it.
Is this even possible?
No.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:00 pm

NeoKING wrote:
Is this even possible?
Not in the Dragonball sense. Through certain types of meditation, you can enhance your awareness so that you can react to being attacked much more efficiently.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Great Saiyaman I
Regular

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:01 pm

Makaioshin wrote:
NeoKING wrote:
Is this even possible?
No.
Your disbelief is what holds you back. Without ki you will never go further than a simple human. Learn to embrace your spiritual energy, and become far greater than you have ever known!
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Herms can you translate the whole thing
No.

ChaojiShucaiRen

Post by ChaojiShucaiRen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:21 pm

I have trained in Shaolin Gung Fu and Tan Tui for 14 years now and have trained in XingYiQuan, BaQuaZhang, and Taijiquan for about 10 years now as well. I teach Shaolin and Taiji on the weekends to Autistic and downs syndrome children at a local martial arts school as well. I love all Chinese martial arts and everything Chinese for that matter. I hope to continue practicing a technique called Heaven's Palm (not a true martial art, just a technique) which helps you use your other martial arts skills more efficiently. I also want to learn Wing Chun and maybe in the future Hung Gar.

I would say that Dragonball Z definitely inspired me to join in martial arts at a very young age and I have been doing it ever since!
I’ve got a lovely bunch of Dragonballs
There they are all standing in a row
Big ones, small ones, some as big as your head!

SSJ4_Zankuto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ4_Zankuto » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:24 pm

NeoKING wrote:
Is this even possible?
Yes it's possible and all you have to do is meditate and calm your mind. Any teacher who knows about chi will tell you.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:15 pm

I usually do pushups, lift some weights or some sort of exercise when I watch Dragon Ball (If I'm not feeling sick or tired...Like now). I can say that it's Dragon Ball that's motivated me to dabble into Jeet Kune Do and study after Bruce Lee.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:46 pm

I used to take karate-do before my dojo got closed due to lack of funding and turned into a little Cuban sandwich shop. -_- While Dragon Ball wasn't my main reason for taking it, (rather, defending myself was) it did give me a bit of inspiration from time to time. Pretty much everyone else who went there had some knowledge of the series, even one of my instructors, and we tended to make a few jokes here and there about it. But the absolute biggest one came from our instructor himself. He was trying to explain to two new guys why we kiai (that's a sort of martial arts yell) when we punch, and he couldn't quite explain it right, so he did a Kamehameha twice, once with the "ha" part a few seconds after putting his hands out, the second right at that very moment. Everyone just burst out laughing at how ridiculous it was, but it was pretty cool. 8)

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:52 pm

Great Saiyaman I wrote: Your disbelief is what holds you back. Without ki you will never go further than a simple human. Learn to embrace your spiritual energy, and become far greater than you have ever known!
... The **** are you talking about?

Just kidding, XP. I have heard of Ki concepts in real life, though.(Isn't Ki the driving power behind the One-Inch Punch?) It's just, I never knew about "sensing other people's Ki." I remember reading a book once on how what was thought to be Ki in ancient times might have actually been an explanation for the bio-electrical impulses throughout the human body. It's stuff like that that gets me hooked on martial arts and science, haha.

But yeah, I haven't ever actually used Ki, but I have burned my Cosmos on one occasion, though it was a bad day.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:47 pm

I used to do Taekwondo, but surprise, surprise, I quit. It just got too expensive. I'm not cheap, but a gym membership cost much less and I just wanted to spend my money on things I enjoy more. I still practice the moves I've learnt. Except now I don't have to worry about learning stupid Korean aswell. Seriously, how is learning the Korean word for Spining Jumping Roundhouse Kick going to help me at all?

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:21 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:I used to do Taekwondo, but surprise, surprise, I quit. It just got too expensive. I'm not cheap, but a gym membership cost much less and I just wanted to spend my money on things I enjoy more. I still practice the moves I've learnt. Except now I don't have to worry about learning stupid Korean aswell. Seriously, how is learning the Korean word for Spining Jumping Roundhouse Kick going to help me at all?
That'd make you a bad ass. In a world where everyone learns Japanese for animu, someone who's fluent in other cool languages other than Nihongo would be refreshing.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:40 pm

I recently defeated Jackie Chun in the World Tournament.
El Conejo Malo

CatouttaHell
Advanced Regular

Post by CatouttaHell » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:06 am

I work out.
Rocketman wrote:Where you born unable to understand jokes or is this the result of years of hard training?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:26 am

NeoKING wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:I used to do Taekwondo, but surprise, surprise, I quit. It just got too expensive. I'm not cheap, but a gym membership cost much less and I just wanted to spend my money on things I enjoy more. I still practice the moves I've learnt. Except now I don't have to worry about learning stupid Korean aswell. Seriously, how is learning the Korean word for Spining Jumping Roundhouse Kick going to help me at all?
That'd make you a bad ass. In a world where everyone learns Japanese for animu, someone who's fluent in other cool languages other than Nihongo would be refreshing.
Yeah, it seems like everyone and their mothers are learning Japanese. Korean seems like a cool language to study, but I've already got my hands full with two other ones.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:29 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
NeoKING wrote:
Yeah, it seems like everyone and their mothers are learning Japanese. Korean seems like a cool language to study, but I've already got my hands full with two other ones.
Sweet. Polyglots ftw.

On that note, I do train in real life. I train my mind to understand the whackiness that is "life..." What?

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:31 am

I started taking karate classes when I was five, about 16 years ago. My great inspiration was actually... Power Rangers. In particular, Jason David Frank, who originally portrayed the green ranger, released a VHS under the Power Rangers banner involving a few stances and the like, and it all took off from there. I've branched out a lot since then, but I've also stayed at the same dojo teaching children's karate classes twice a week.

As a regular teacher, I've seen a lot of fads influence what gets the new kids into the class. Dragon Ball was a long time ago as far as that's concerned. Avatar:TLA and Naruto are the more regularly mentioned influences nowadays.

Masa95000

Post by Masa95000 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:35 am

I trained in a mixed martial art called Kajukenbo (Karate, Judo, Kenpo, Boxing) for three years and then had to move to another state. I continued martial arts in my new home in a Karate dojo; however I didn't like it there because the dojo where I was exposed to everything I knew felt like a religious experience and everyone there felt so much like family whereas this new one felt like some crowded school where they don't call you by your name. After quitting that one I was out of martial arts for a couple of years until I started High School where I joined the Judo team and I am going to start my second year of that in March when the season starts back up.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:16 am

Kajukenbo is a neat martial art. I hope to train in it a bit soon enough.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co