Underrated English Voice Actors

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Underrated English Voice Actors

Post by songohan619 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:57 am

I really think Sean Teague, who is the English Uub, is pretty good.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Underrated English Voice Actors

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:08 pm

Chuck Huber as #17. People always say he sounds too old, but I thought he sounded perfectly age-appropiate and portrayed the cool, cold demeanour of #17.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:20 pm

Kent Williams. Love his Dr. Gero and Tao Pai Pai. Those are two voices I arguably prefer FUNimation's take on, although they're very similar to the original Toei voices as well. I can't always speak for the quality of the script, of course.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:37 pm

Cipher wrote:Kent Williams. Love his Dr. Gero and Tao Pai Pai. Those are two voices I arguably prefer FUNimation's take on, although they're very similar to the original Toei voices as well. I can't always speak for the quality of the script, of course.
Agreed. His Gero has an almost Faux-Freeza quality as he goes from the creepy schemer thinks he's two steps ahead to the pathetic old man with his brain in a vat killed by his own creations. I don't get that from the original seiyuu.

Although, it's odd that he fell for that "ducks" line. A remotely appropriate but ultimate bad dub joke attempting to correct itself?

While we're on the subject of Chuck Huber, I always liked the quasi-demon vibe of his Garlic Jr.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

roidrage
Beyond Newbie

Post by roidrage » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:40 pm

"THAT DOES IT. NOW I AM MAD." I cracked up at that. His Tao Pai Pai is pretty sweet. I think people hate on Sean Schemmel way too much. He's not perfect, but it's a role he grew into, and he was the first voice I ever heard for Goku because my friend showed me the video games, and after a while I decided to read the manga to get a complete understanding of it. Everyone always says Ian James Corlett's the best, but I disagree. I may laugh or cringe every now and then, but I can't see anyone other than him dubbing Goku in English.
SAD 4 U

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:50 pm

roidrage wrote:"THAT DOES IT. NOW I AM MAD." I cracked up at that. His Tao Pai Pai is pretty sweet. I think people hate on Sean Schemmel way too much. He's not perfect, but it's a role he grew into, and he was the first voice I ever heard for Goku because my friend showed me the video games, and after a while I decided to read the manga to get a complete understanding of it. Everyone always says Ian James Corlett's the best, but I disagree. I may laugh or cringe every now and then, but I can't see anyone other than him dubbing Goku in English.
Finally, someone who agrees with me!

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:53 pm

I always liked Kent Williams since he narrated YYH, and he does a good Tao Pai Pai and Dr. Gero. I guess those are two roles that don't exactly get the most press.

Chuck Huber as #17 was probably one of my favorite castings of later Post-Season Three Funi Dub Z (up there with Dameon Clarke as Cell), and I never really had a problem with him.

As for Sean Schemmel as Goku...he's a VA I always saw potential in, and liked something about his voice, not inherently at the surface. It's taken many years, but he's grown as an actor to touch on exactly what I see as a perfect English Goku to me. He gets a lot of flack, but he's certainly gotten far better over the years. At this point, I really do love Schemmel as Goku.

Though, I haven't watched much with Uub in it, so I'm not sure if I should judge Sean Teague's performance.

I always kinda liked Rick Robertson as Dabura, I think the voice worked, and could work good in Kai as well (if it ever makes it there).
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:25 pm

roidrage wrote:he was the first voice I ever heard for Goku
What bearing does that have on whether he's good or not?

You know who'se underrated? Laurie Steele's kid Kuririn. Very different from Mayumi Tanaka, but still solidly fits the role, by capturing Kuririn's douchebaggery at the time with sort of a rougher voice, but still being appropriate for a child.

Cathy Wesleuck's little Trunks in the Ocean dub is another nobody gives credit to. Laura Bailey's is good, sure, but I prefer Weseluck's because it sounds a little cocky.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:35 pm

Three words: Sean Schemmel's Goku. Out of all of FUNi's VA's Schemmel's Goku gets way too much hate. Just because he doesn't sound like Masako Nozawa doesn't make Sean bad. I love Sean's take on Goku in fact I think it's better than Nozawa's who makes him sound like a woman. This is a case where I can say original is not always better.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

roidrage
Beyond Newbie

Post by roidrage » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:19 pm

penguintruth wrote:
roidrage wrote:he was the first voice I ever heard for Goku
What bearing does that have on whether he's good or not?

You know who'se underrated? Laurie Steele's kid Kuririn. Very different from Mayumi Tanaka, but still solidly fits the role, by capturing Kuririn's douchebaggery at the time with sort of a rougher voice, but still being appropriate for a child.

Cathy Wesleuck's little Trunks in the Ocean dub is another nobody gives credit to. Laura Bailey's is good, sure, but I prefer Weseluck's because it sounds a little cocky.
A lot of people, such as VegettoEX, saw the Ocean dub first and became attached to it, unlike the Funi cast. Sometimes it's not a matter of who's the better actor, it's the first person you heard play the role. Even if Sean Schemmel isn't the best English Goku, I'm attached to him because it's his voice I've grown to associate with Goku in English. The same can be said of fans who were introduced to DBZ for the first time in the mid-90s with the Ocean dub.
SAD 4 U

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:52 pm

If you can't justify a performance beyond, "I grew up with that", then you have no argument.

Plus, it doesn't hold water to me even on a personal level. The first Goku I heard was Peter Kelamis (I didn't start watching DBZ until the early Namek/Freeza arc). But he's no Masako Nozawa, even if I do prefer him as an English voice for Goku over others. In fact, I like him a lot less now than I did years ago.

I'm sick of reading/hearing this "I grew up with that version of DBZ!" bullshit and its varients I hear all the time from DBZ fans. It's a bizarre form of Stockholm Syndrome. If something is good, it should be good on its own merits, not because of fond memories of the past. Nostalgia can be poison.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:23 pm

I think Kyle Hebert is the most talented and was underrated as the older Gohan, especially when those episodes were first aired. I also think the entire English FUNimation cast of the main cast are underrated. From a production standpoint, I personally think Nadolny should have been kept as young Gohan and especially young Goku, so I suppose you could say she was underrated by the producers. Although I'm sure the producers had further reasons that one of you could clarify.
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku

roidrage
Beyond Newbie

Post by roidrage » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:52 pm

penguintruth wrote:If you can't justify a performance beyond, "I grew up with that", then you have no argument.

Plus, it doesn't hold water to me even on a personal level. The first Goku I heard was Peter Kelamis (I didn't start watching DBZ until the early Namek/Freeza arc). But he's no Masako Nozawa, even if I do prefer him as an English voice for Goku over others. In fact, I like him a lot less now than I did years ago.

I'm sick of reading/hearing this "I grew up with that version of DBZ!" bullshit and its varients I hear all the time from DBZ fans. It's a bizarre form of Stockholm Syndrome. If something is good, it should be good on its own merits, not because of fond memories of the past. Nostalgia can be poison.
Okay. I like the sense of innocence Schemmel gives Goku; he pulls that off well. I think if he yelled less and talked in a firm voice, his "angry Goku" would be more convincing.

I've seen your voice charts and I think they're very fair and mostly accurate. There's no call for you to be so hostile all of a sudden. You don't seem very friendly.
SAD 4 U

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:22 am

Dale Kelly's Ginyu. I recently watched FUNimation's early dub of DBZ and he was the only one who could actually act at the time. lol

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:48 am

roidrage wrote:
penguintruth wrote:If you can't justify a performance beyond, "I grew up with that", then you have no argument.

Okay. I like the sense of innocence Schemmel gives Goku; he pulls that off well. I think if he yelled less and talked in a firm voice, his "angry Goku" would be more convincing.

I've seen your voice charts and I think they're very fair and mostly accurate. There's no call for you to be so hostile all of a sudden. You don't seem very friendly.
He definitely has a point though.

I've got another one, another Huber role, and I know why no one brings it up. #13. I'm sorry, if you're going to use a stereotype, the country of it's origin should be allowed to play it straight, which Huber does. Hilariously. If we had Japanese Goku alongside it we would have a backwoods party in the farthest of the north.

Number #2 would be Armstrong's Slug. Love this guy's voice, and I think it matches Slug's physical build pretty well- particularly given Armstrong himself :?
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:28 am

penguintruth wrote:You know who'se underrated? Laurie Steele's kid Kuririn. Very different from Mayumi Tanaka, but still solidly fits the role, by capturing Kuririn's douchebaggery at the time with sort of a rougher voice, but still being appropriate for a child.
I agree.

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:50 am

I have always liked Brad Jackson's King Cold. I feel he would've made a very, very good Freeza with a voice like that.

violadude
Beyond Newbie

Post by violadude » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:58 am

I think the guy who played the Funimation version of bubbles is pretty underrated. I don't hear anyone ever talk about him.

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:02 am

Justin Cooks Super Buu.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:22 pm

Meredith McCoy as Android 18. No one ever says much about her but I thought she did a killer job. Her voice is the only voice I think of when I think of 18.

Chris Rager as Mr. Satan. Satan's attitude and cockiness go great with Rager's deep wrestling voice.

Chris Sabat as Vegeta. This one is more of a personal one because I always give Sabat shit for taking on too many roles, but his Vegeta has really grown on me. He has really grown since season 3.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?