Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discuss

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:26 am

I know it's the original line in Japanese as well as the manga in both languages, but to anyone else does Vegeta's line about his heart being pure evil almost make him sound like an over the top card carrying supervillain? If anyone else said that, I picture his next line to be, "Now the world shall be mine! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:43 am

It kinda sounds like Sonny Strait's Kuririn has been faltering in the past few episodes. He seems a little off, too exaggerated.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:46 am

Super Sonic wrote:I know it's the original line in Japanese as well as the manga in both languages, but to anyone else does Vegeta's line about his heart being pure evil almost make him sound like an over the top card carrying supervillain? If anyone else said that, I picture his next line to be, "Now the world shall be mine! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"
As opposed to the subtle villains of Dragon Ball? They're all ludicrously Saturday morning cartoon evil. :lol:

Flamingwindjutsu

Post by Flamingwindjutsu » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:51 am

penguintruth wrote:It kinda sounds like Sonny Strait's Kuririn has been faltering in the past few episodes. He seems a little off, too exaggerated.
Yeah, and that's a shame because I've always found him to be somewhat of an underrated gem of the Dragon Ball cast, well, recently at least. Maybe he was getting lazy that recording session, or he was sick, something like that because I've found his voice has been getting too bassy. Too low register for Krillin. I think his Saiyan/Namek/Freeza arc stuff was perfect, but recently it's just been... off I guess.

MugiMikey
Beyond Newbie

Post by MugiMikey » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:13 pm

So... did anyone notice Part 5 was delayed to June 7, according to RightStuf and Amazon?

Do you think it has something to do with the score replacement?

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:18 pm

MugiMikey wrote:So... did anyone notice Part 5 was delayed to June 7, according to RightStuf and Amazon?

In my opinion, it is very likely. I also think this is the reason why Nicktoons hasn't been airing reruns of Kai lately.
So mondo lame.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:59 am

MugiMikey wrote:So... did anyone notice Part 5 was delayed to June 7, according to RightStuf and Amazon?

Could be, but wouldn't parts 1-5 have to be edited for the score replacement?

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:16 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote: Could be, but wouldn't parts 1-5 have to be edited for the score replacement?
They'll probably recall the DVDs and take them off the shelves wherever sold, as well as take them off Amazon or Rightstuff if they do edit the score on Parts 1-5.
So mondo lame.

cloud1414
Beyond Newbie

Post by cloud1414 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:15 pm

GotenDaisuki wrote:
Daimo-Rukiri wrote: Could be, but wouldn't parts 1-5 have to be edited for the score replacement?
They'll probably recall the DVDs and take them off the shelves wherever sold, as well as take them off Amazon or Rightstuff if they do edit the score on Parts 1-5.
Yeah its already happening. Checked Bestbuy and noticed its unavailable now. So yeah they are recalling the sets.

But... thats not stopping people on ebay from selling parts 1-4. Thats where I'm getting my part 4 for around $23.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:27 pm

cloud1414 wrote:Thats where I'm getting my part 4 for around $23.
I should also buy Part 4 before there are no left with Yamamoto's score intact. I don't see Kai being so "refreshed" when using the same score as the original, regardless of wherever the staff decides to place the BGM. Sure, it will be totally different from the placement of BGM in Z, but it just won't have the same "refreshed" feel to it once the replacement takes place.
So mondo lame.

Toonami97
Beyond Newbie

Post by Toonami97 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:31 pm

I have notice they're dubbing of Kai has been moutains better than they're last 2 attempts at Z

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:52 pm

What the hell is Sonny Strait's problem in the past couple of new episodes? His Kuririn's been horrible!

Sabat's Vegeta seems a little off at times, too. His Piccolo has been great, though.

Even Clinkenbeard's Gohan has been a little off. I think she's trying to transition her Gohan into an older-sounding one.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

cloud1414
Beyond Newbie

Post by cloud1414 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:34 pm

GotenDaisuki wrote:
cloud1414 wrote:Thats where I'm getting my part 4 for around $23.
I should also buy Part 4 before there are no left with Yamamoto's score intact. I don't see Kai being so "refreshed" when using the same score as the original, regardless of wherever the staff decides to place the BGM. Sure, it will be totally different from the placement of BGM in Z, but it just won't have the same "refreshed" feel to it once the replacement takes place.
There are plenty left on ebay, i think around 16 are left for DVD, great deals :D same here, its going to be a big bummer for part 5-8 having the old score. But what can we do.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:05 am

penguintruth wrote:What the hell is Sonny Strait's problem in the past couple of new episodes? His Kuririn's been horrible!

Sabat's Vegeta seems a little off at times, too. His Piccolo has been great, though.

Even Clinkenbeard's Gohan has been a little off. I think she's trying to transition her Gohan into an older-sounding one.
I have noticed nothing different with any of the voices. Even at their "worst" it's leagues beyond the Big Green, Creative Products, Malaysian & Portuguese dubs.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:31 am

Their worst is still better than the previous DBZ dub, too. But it doesn't excuse them faltering. Just not sucking isn't being good.

Can I get a Schemen?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:00 am

penguintruth wrote:What the hell is Sonny Strait's problem in the past couple of new episodes? His Kuririn's been horrible!
I wouldn't say horrible. Though, he sounds a bit sick or something. His voice is a bit nasally and his screams are very dull and flat. Maybe Sonny Strait was a little sick during these episodes?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:15 pm

Just watched the dub for 63 on Nicktoons. I'm noticing that this point of the show is where, for the most part, the script of the original dub FUNi did years back isn't -that- significantly different from the original Japanese script. In fact, the big difference I'm noticing is that they added more description to certain things the first time around, such as Gero thinking about Dr. Briefs' being Bulma's dad and Trunks giving a longer description of #17 and #18. There's even a few lines here and there I think are the -exact- same line as the previous dub. I'm not sure who wrote the ADR dialogue at that time (what was that, like 1999 I think?) but I guess this was the point in which they had a much better script supervisor. Looks like Patrick wrote this episode too, cool to see he's getting a piece of the DBZ pie.

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:10 pm

Kirbopher wrote:I'm noticing that this point of the show is where, for the most part, the script of the original dub FUNi did years back isn't -that- significantly different from the original Japanese script.
What, you mean the Android stuff? Where Piccolo rants about how he's not a bad guy anymore and how being a big meanie won't get you anywhere (which was so cheesy it actually got an eye roll from my mom back in the day) during the fight with Gero? When 16 talks about having a differently located neural processor or some shit instead of claiming he's completely a robot (which was supposed to be a big twist about his character.) Bad jokes were still said every other line (burnt toast, gas powered toaster, oh poopies). So many electrical appliance puns. That's just the stuff off the top of my head. I think you might be remembering the Cell Games arc where the script drastically improved and almost exactly matched the Japanese stuff overnight (swords of injustice aside). Hell even the voice acting got better around that point.

So Kai is literally borrowing lines from Z now huh? Super way to solidify that generous "C-" score guys.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:43 pm

Turtle Marked Stone wrote:
Kirbopher wrote:I'm noticing that this point of the show is where, for the most part, the script of the original dub FUNi did years back isn't -that- significantly different from the original Japanese script.
What, you mean the Android stuff? Where Piccolo rants about how he's not a bad guy anymore and how being a big meanie won't get you anywhere (which was so cheesy it actually got an eye roll from my mom back in the day) during the fight with Gero? When 16 talks about having a differently located neural processor or some shit instead of claiming he's completely a robot (which was supposed to be a big twist about his character.) Bad jokes were still said every other line (burnt toast, gas powered toaster, oh poopies). So many electrical appliance puns. That's just the stuff off the top of my head. I think you might be remembering the Cell Games arc where the script drastically improved and almost exactly matched the Japanese stuff overnight (swords of injustice aside). Hell even the voice acting got better around that point.

So Kai is literally borrowing lines from Z now huh? Super way to solidify that generous "C-" score guys.
None of the stuff you brought up here is in Kai, though. The only lines it seems to be keeping are lines that weren't innacurate to begin with. And what C- rating?
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:56 pm

I...know, I didn't say it was? He was saying the original dub wasn't all that off which is why I went into that explanation. The "C-" comment is just my own personal rating of the dub. It's a below average dub to me because of the bad voice casting, dub terminology and now apparently they're borrowing lines from Z which is silly to me seeing as how they were more or less trying to shed Z's bad script entirely this time around. Even if they're only keeping the "okay" lines it still seems counter productive. If nothing else it seems pointless, why don't they just keep translating from the Japanese script?