James Marsters says DB E 2 will probably not happen.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Re: James Marsters says DB E 2 will probably not happen.

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:28 pm

I'd rather see it done like Star Wars, a fantastical Science-Fictional world with humour and action, not too serious and not too silly.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:13 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:I'd rather see it done like Star Wars, a fantastical Science-Fictional world with humour and action, not too serious and not too silly.
Have you seen the Wachowskis' Speed Racer film? Because you more or less just described it!
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:08 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Maybe Fox will reboot the series with a serious director, and someone who cares for the series like Nolan does with Batman.
Yes, a Batman Begins style translation is exactly what a live action Dragon Ball film needs. :roll:
I was talking about a director that is a fan and would love to work on Dragon Ball as a serious project. It seems like James Wong only wanted to do the project for money. I don't think there is anyone that would work on a DB movie and take a serious project similar to Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, James Bond, Godzilla, or Transformers. Most people in Hollywood would look at Dragon Ball and be like "Why would waste my time on a cartoon?".
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:39 pm

Any time Marsters talks about DBE, I feel like, "Hell yeah, freaking Dragonball movie" and then when he's done it's just like, "Sigh... god damn Dragonball movie." He seemed to dig the first one, and how he was talking about him and Chatwin buffing up for a Z movie makes it sound like it would be pretty awesome. Blah blah disappointment, etc etc...

lol Silver Surfers
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:56 pm

Something like this would be great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lycAYessDNo

Note: True Legend is not as fun, nor as great as this specific trailer suggests. What the trailer evokes however, is what I hope emulates throughout a future live action Dragonball film.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:25 pm

I would rather see a DB online mini live action series then another live action movie. Similar to SF: Legacy and Mortal Kombat Rebirth where.
She/Her

finalwarriordan

Post by finalwarriordan » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:42 pm

wouldve been interesting to say the least

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:47 pm

Snail wrote:Something like this would be great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lycAYessDNo

Note: True Legend is not as fun, nor as great as this specific trailer suggests. What the trailer evokes however, is what I hope emulates throughout a future live action Dragonball film.
I just saw the trailer the other day and thought the same thing(though I have not seen True Legend yet).

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:20 am

Megacon, as in Orlando Megacon? Damn. I was gonna go! I would have talked to him about DBE. Though I wouldn't have been as nice. lol

Anyway, I'm glad we aren't going to get a sequel. Maybe in a few years(since this is the current Hollywood trend) we'll get a re-boot.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:52 am

A reboot would be so nice...something that pays a lot more attention to the source material (not saying it needs to follow word-for-word, speaking more along the lines of "Path to Power") and has a real juicy budget to work with....yeah, that'd be great. :3

Not sure if it'll happen anytime soon, if ever, though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:44 am

Reboots tend to happen if the studio thinks the movie that they are going to reboot will sell well. Seeing that hardly anyone in the US saw DBE, I doubt it will happen anytime soon. Batman, Godzilla, and James Bond get rebooted because they are bigger names and the studio knows that they will sell tickets better because they have a larger fan base. And that it been two years since DBE came out, no way they are going to reboot it right now (Hulk was reboot five years after the 2003 version, I still think it's too early).

While Dragon Ball does have a huge fan base, but the series is not as popular as it used to be from the 90's until 2005 when GT ended on TV. I still feel like DBE should have came out when Dragon Ball was still popular on TV and with the general public, then the DBE could have done a lot better. I hope for a new movie, but I don't see it happening anytime soon though IMO.
She/Her

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:01 am

If I had a choice, I'd want Hollywood to commission a DBZ animated movie . Maybe Toei would put more effort into it if it was a co-production and someone else handled the costs.

DB just doesn't seem like something that was meant for live action.I really have a hard time imagening a well done action movie based on DB.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:35 pm

I would love to see a full CG DBZ movie similar to the 2007 TMNT movie. I think it can be awesome if it was done right, and could look like this box art:

http://www.vgboxart.com/view/19229/drag ... replies=12

Also if they make a reboot then I say do Goku's origin in the intro credits and start things off where Radditz comes to Earth. The Saiyajin Arc is the story that a lot of people are familiar with and people would pay good money to see Goku fighting Vegeta on the big screen. And the budget should be around 100 million if they want to do it right as well if you ask me.
She/Her

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:22 pm

Fuck Hollywood.
Give it to the people that made the Fung Wan movie adaptations.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:32 pm

Kaboom wrote:Have you seen the Wachowskis' Speed Racer film? Because you more or less just described it!
Shiiiiiit, I ain't even seen the cartoon. Sounds enjoyable!

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:16 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Reboots tend to happen if the studio thinks the movie that they are going to reboot will sell well. Seeing that hardly anyone in the US saw DBE, I doubt it will happen anytime soon. Batman, Godzilla, and James Bond get rebooted because they are bigger names and the studio knows that they will sell tickets better because they have a larger fan base. And that it been two years since DBE came out, no way they are going to reboot it right now (Hulk was reboot five years after the 2003 version, I still think it's too early).

While Dragon Ball does have a huge fan base, but the series is not as popular as it used to be from the 90's until 2005 when GT ended on TV. I still feel like DBE should have came out when Dragon Ball was still popular on TV and with the general public, then the DBE could have done a lot better. I hope for a new movie, but I don't see it happening anytime soon though IMO.
Spiderman is getting rebooted and filming has been going on for a while now(only 2 years after Spiderman 3).

Dragonball has enough potential to get a lot of people excited if the project was put into the right hands. What we got from fox was a rushed heavily altered cash in. Put the movie in the hands of a writer who knows the material with a director who knows how to make an adaptation then I think there is potential to make big bucks. Unfortunately, Hollywood won't take anime as seriously as they would something western(even with something as popular as Dragonball) and it's really a shame. I was hoping Japan would try and do something with the franchise but, there special effects aren't as up to par with Hollywood's.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:55 pm

It been three and half years since SM3 came out, and it will be 5 years by the time when the new movie comes out. I think the quickest movie to get a reboot would be the Halloween series since they made H20 like three years after the last one before it. I agree with Hollywood not taking DB serious and having Toei doing their own Dragon Ball movie could work. Some Japanese movies have some amazing visuals for having a small budget, look at "Space Battleship Yamato" (2010) for example.
She/Her

Namekjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namekjin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:25 pm

I hate DBE but I can't say this is a good thing or a bad thing. :?
"This is gonna be easier than coloring inside the lines!" - Vegeta
"OVER 9000!" - Vegeta
"YOU'LL NEVER ESCAPE....MY WRATH!!!" - Vegeta
Nobody wrote : The Season Sets are superior in every way!!!

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:26 am

If I become a working director, I'll give it a shot. :?

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:53 pm