Movies 4:3 vs Steelbook 16:9 screenshots please?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Movies 4:3 vs Steelbook 16:9 screenshots please?

Post by SylentEcho » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:24 am

Could someone please post a few screenshots showing the difference between the original 4:3 movies which were released and the new 16:9 steelbook versions? I'd like to see how much footage was gained or lost.

I'd like to purchase the last two I don't have and want to know if I should buy the new version or the old one.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Movies 4:3 vs Steelbook 16:9 screenshots please?

Post by dragondyle » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:00 am

Though I don't have screenshots, I can tell you that you don't really lose a whole lot because the movies were meant to be seen in widescreen. Actually, you gain a little more on the sides on the steelbooks compared to the Dragon Box, but it really isn't much and the quality isn't as good.
You must have faith in who you are.

dr_raichi

Post by dr_raichi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:29 pm

Here are some screens from DBZ Movie box part.2 French edition for the 4:3 format & Dragon Box the movies for the 16/9 format :
I can't make screens with my computer cause the funimation movies steelbooks are in zone 1.
But i think you want this to compare the size.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:25 am

/\ Hey! What happened to them? They're gone now.

Edit:
Ok, I can go there if I click them.

and thanks dragondyle.

Edit 2:
So the Funi steelbooks are exactly like the ones on the right? Damn, those kind of suck. They hardly add a quarter of an inch to the side and remove a good inch from the top and bottom.

I'd much rather go in for the individual discs.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:09 am

SylentEcho wrote:So the Funi steelbooks are exactly like the ones on the right?
No, they are not. What's posted there are slightly-resized Dragon Box screen caps. FUNimation's "Double Feature" discs use a different master.

Here's a look at framing and cropping with Toei's original VHS print and the Dragon Box print.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:19 pm

Thanks a lot Mike. I think I'll just buy the single 4:3 sets. They look the best and I don't like the fact that I'll be missing out on an inch of footage on the top and bottom.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:05 pm

SylentEcho wrote:Thanks a lot Mike. I think I'll just buy the single 4:3 sets. They look the best and I don't like the fact that I'll be missing out on an inch of footage on the top and bottom.
They really don't. None of the pictures posted so far have been caps from the FUNi releases, but I can tell you the image quality in the 4:3 FUNi releases isn't good. They look nowhere near as good as the French boxset caps that were posted in this topic. The steelbooks aren't perfect, but there's a hell of a step up from the old 4:3 singles. I'm pretty sure people have done comparisons before, but I don't know where to find them, sorry.
­

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:10 pm

Taku128 wrote:
SylentEcho wrote:Thanks a lot Mike. I think I'll just buy the single 4:3 sets. They look the best and I don't like the fact that I'll be missing out on an inch of footage on the top and bottom.
They really don't. None of the pictures posted so far have been caps from the FUNi releases, but I can tell you the image quality in the 4:3 FUNi releases isn't good. They look nowhere near as good as the French boxset caps that were posted in this topic. The steelbooks aren't perfect, but there's a hell of a step up from the old 4:3 singles. I'm pretty sure people have done comparisons before, but I don't know where to find them, sorry.
There any comparison shots for the FUNi singles vs. the French boxsets?

I myself figure that I'd rather get the 4:3 singles while waiting for the Dragon Box movies; at least with the 4:3 they won't be rendered a completely obsolete release, while the Steelbook DVDs would basically be "the version that's lesser than the Dragon Boxes" at that point.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:12 pm

KiddoCabbusses wrote:I myself figure that I'd rather get the 4:3 singles while waiting for the Dragon Box movies; at least with the 4:3 they won't be rendered a completely obsolete release, while the Steelbook DVDs would basically be "the version that's lesser than the Dragon Boxes" at that point.
What do you mean "lesser than the Dragon Boxes"? I'd say they're closer to the Dragon Boxes due to being in 16:9.

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:24 pm

KiddoCabbusses wrote:
Taku128 wrote:
There any comparison shots for the FUNi singles vs. the French boxsets?
No, there's comparison shots between the FUNi singles and the steelbooks. Should've added another line break.
­

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:31 pm

Here are a couple of screencaps from movie 2 steelbooks edition:

The colour is great, but they've snipped about an inch from the top and bottom.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:47 pm

SylentEcho wrote:Here are a couple of screencaps from movie 2 steelbooks edition:

The colour is great, but they've snipped about an inch from the top and bottom.
Those aren't steelbook screenshots.

I can tell just from looking that at least the top one is a cropped version of one of those animation cels posted on Amazon's listing for the steelbooks. The steelbooks are much darker and much more saturated.

The bottom one looks the same, and I am pretty sure it's a cel too, but it's not on Amazon. I can tell because the top and bottom shots are both on the back of the steelbook, but they slightly overlap. Maybe the bottom one was released on another site?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:19 pm

All you had to do is just search "double feature" in the thread titles. :P

Anyways, here, here's the steelbook discussions for Movies 12 & 13, and movies 7 & 9. These are the pages with the most screenshots starting off. There's also plenty of comparison to Dragon Box footage.

http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... e&start=40
http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... e&start=60

To sum it up, the steelbooks aren't terrible, but with the Dragon Box Movies coming down the road, they're gonna be a bit pointless. The original singles releases are neat in way, because they're 4:3. Only release like that. You get a tad more footage, sure, but it's really badly encoded footage. Here's a good example of that.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3536/vlc ... 465fz7.png
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Snail

Post by Snail » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:29 pm

I was seriously considering purchasing the steelbooks, but after careful consideration I think I'll be a good boy and wait for the Dragonbox version of the films to see their potential North American releases. *Crosses fingers.

There's just way too big of a difference.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Remember that visuals are just PART of the larger package -- there's that whole "audio" thing, too.

It's not quite as fair of a comparison, but here's a little audio side-by-side (MP3) that I posted up with my review of FUNimation's recent DB Movie 1 release. There's a world of a difference. Just because FUNimation throws their film through some processes doesn't mean they can do the same with the audio they have on-hand.

At the end of the day, the Dragon Box release is still the hands-down winner.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:45 pm

I really hope they release an english Dragonbox Movies set. We can only hope.
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:57 pm

VegettoEX wrote: It's not quite as fair of a comparison, but here's a little audio side-by-side (MP3) that I posted up with my review of FUNimation's recent DB Movie 1 release. There's a world of a difference. Just because FUNimation throws their film through some processes doesn't mean they can do the same with the audio they have on-hand.

At the end of the day, the Dragon Box release is still the hands-down winner.
Wow, that audio difference is huge. :shock:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:52 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
KiddoCabbusses wrote:I myself figure that I'd rather get the 4:3 singles while waiting for the Dragon Box movies; at least with the 4:3 they won't be rendered a completely obsolete release, while the Steelbook DVDs would basically be "the version that's lesser than the Dragon Boxes" at that point.
What do you mean "lesser than the Dragon Boxes"? I'd say they're closer to the Dragon Boxes due to being in 16:9.
Being "closer" to the Dragon Boxes only makes the "lesser" part more apparent. (Unless you're one who disagrees with the rest of the folks who say Dragon Box: The Movies is the best release?)
That was kind of the point.
While the singles may also have inferior visual quality to the Dragon Boxes, there's something to be said about getting a 4:3 that shows more screen. They also haven't gone through the FUNimation "Remastering" malarky that has been the primary source of complaints about the Orange Bricks, which IIRC the steelbooks have.
My belief is that when/if FUNimation releases DBox the Movies, there would be less reason to keep Steelbook movies than there would be to keep the singles. Well, besides "Woah, that Cooler Double Feature sure goes for a lot of money!"

Also, I got the first three movies as Pioneer singles. Doubt we'll get the ol' Ocean Dubs on the Boxes. :E

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:17 am

Thanks VegettoEX. I read that quite a while back, but thanks for that mp3. That's a pretty big difference.

nathantheguitarist, thanks for the threads. I never thought of searching for "double feature". I just typed "steelbooks" and "steel books". :)

What I could do is, get the Dragon Box movies, rip them and then hard sub them myself. However, since I already have all the movies on 4:3 DVD save two, I'll just buy the 4:3 versions of them and wait for a good Dragon Box release with English subs.

Thanks everybody else! Thanks a lot for the help and the screencaps. I'm sure I would have made the wrong decision without you guys. :D
Also, I got the first three movies as Pioneer singles. Doubt we'll get the ol' Ocean Dubs on the Boxes. :E
Yup! I still keep those. They were awesome. The script was almost exactly like the original and they also have the Japanese version on them.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:59 pm

KiddoCabbusses wrote:
Pokewhiz7 wrote:
Being "closer" to the Dragon Boxes only makes the "lesser" part more apparent. (Unless you're one who disagrees with the rest of the folks who say Dragon Box: The Movies is the best release?)
That was kind of the point.
While the singles may also have inferior visual quality to the Dragon Boxes, there's something to be said about getting a 4:3 that shows more screen. They also haven't gone through the FUNimation "Remastering" malarky that has been the primary source of complaints about the Orange Bricks, which IIRC the steelbooks have.
My belief is that when/if FUNimation releases DBox the Movies, there would be less reason to keep Steelbook movies than there would be to keep the singles. Well, besides "Woah, that Cooler Double Feature sure goes for a lot of money!"

Oh I see. The 4:3 makes the singles worth keeping, but after Dragon Box The Movies there'll be no reason to keep the Steelbooks.