Characters you love that most people hate (and vice versa)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jayy

Re: Characters you love that most people hate (and vice vers

Post by Jayy » Fri May 20, 2011 7:14 pm

Savage68 wrote:
CatouttaHell wrote:Chaozu, Yamucha, Spopovitch, #19, and #20.
Most people hate these characters?
I was surprised seeing this, I think honestly more people loved Choazu and Yamucha because they wanted to see them more, and because they were original core Z Fighter material.

As for the androids, wasn't a fan of Gero. #19 was amazing though, i thought he was a wicked enemy. He was a big change to the series concept wise he just was awesome.
Dragonball Fan Since 91'
鳥山 明

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri May 20, 2011 7:28 pm

Jayy wrote:I was surprised seeing this, I think honestly more people loved Choazu and Yamucha because they wanted to see them more, and because they were original core Z Fighter material.
Chaozu is a secondary Z fighter at best.

Jayy

Post by Jayy » Fri May 20, 2011 7:37 pm

By the end definitely, But from Dameo - Saiyan Arc, he was in the core team that is for sure, because there was once a time in Dragonball where we could rely on every Z Fighter to do something...Oh i missed those days.
Dragonball Fan Since 91'
鳥山 明

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri May 20, 2011 7:38 pm

Jayy wrote:By the end definitely, But from Dameo - Saiyan Arc, he was in the core team that is for sure, because there was once a time in Dragonball where we could rely on every Z Fighter to do something...Oh i missed those days.
Except Chaozu never did anything. He said half a sentence then got killed by King Piccolo, got brought back as an accessory to bringing Krillin and Roshi back, lost to Tao and was absent for the 23rd Tournament (and nobody but Tien cared when he came back), he sat out the Raditz fight, did offscreen training with Kami, didn't fight a Saibaman, then his powers failed against Nappa and he blew himself up.

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Sat May 21, 2011 11:42 am

Oh pretty much everyone lol. GT Pan, Bio Broly, Krillin (People keep saying "Oh he's so useless"), Adult Gohan, GT Trunks and Goten. Even to the extent where I hate overrated characters just as much (Original Broly, Goku, Cell Games Gohan).

People don't really care for Kid Buu and Hirudegarn but I like the kind of ancient evil monster who cares for nothing but destruction, returning to wreck havoc. It dismantles the idea that the new fighters are always stronger than the older people, which is present in Shonen. Also how they pretty much annhilated and beasted everyone who crossed their path and required Goku pulling his last hope out, just to win.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

CatouttaHell
Advanced Regular

Post by CatouttaHell » Sat May 21, 2011 9:05 pm

GamingBuddha wrote:Is she ever called Son Pan? I've always seen her referred to as just Pan.
IIRC she wasn't, but I still call her that because it should logically be her last name.
Jayy wrote:I was surprised seeing this, I think honestly more people loved Choazu and Yamucha because they wanted to see them more, and because they were original core Z Fighter material.

As for the androids, wasn't a fan of Gero. #19 was amazing though, i thought he was a wicked enemy. He was a big change to the series concept wise he just was awesome.
A lot of people hate Yamucha because they didn't see Dragonball and to them he's just "some mysterious failure who instantly died in the Saiya-jin Arc then got pwned instantly in the Jinzoningen Arc and got his girlfriend stolen from him." Chaozu pretty much does nothing but sacrifice himself to try to save Tenshinhan in DBZ too, unfortunately. And a lot of people hate him because of his design and the fact that he doesn't get to do much.
Ussj Future Trunks wrote:Oh pretty much everyone lol. GT Pan, Bio Broly, Krillin (People keep saying "Oh he's so useless"), Adult Gohan, GT Trunks and Goten. Even to the extent where I hate overrated characters just as much (Original Broly, Goku, Cell Games Gohan).

People don't really care for Kid Buu and Hirudegarn but I like the kind of ancient evil monster who cares for nothing but destruction, returning to wreck havoc. It dismantles the idea that the new fighters are always stronger than the older people, which is present in Shonen. Also how they pretty much annhilated and beasted everyone who crossed their path and required Goku pulling his last hope out, just to win.
Interesting point about dismantling the idea of the newer being stronger than the older. I actually like both of those guys a lot. Chibi Boo was hilarious, and even though his character mirrored that of the Saibaimen and the Cell Juniors he was far more entertaining than either of them. He had many entertaining scenes, especially in the Anime. Hirudegarn was a pretty original guy too, especially how he could just vanish completely and reappear again whenever he wanted.

I don't think Kuririn is hated that much. Of the four Earthlings he's the one who stays in the spotlight for the longest and the lack of spotlight in Z seems to be one big reason people hate Yamucha and Chaozu so much. Though there's always a group of people who hate the Earthlings for the sole reason that they're "weak."
Rocketman wrote:Where you born unable to understand jokes or is this the result of years of hard training?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat May 21, 2011 9:40 pm

CatouttaHell wrote:A lot of people hate Yamucha because they didn't see Dragonball and to them he's just "some mysterious failure who instantly died in the Saiya-jin Arc then got pwned instantly in the Jinzoningen Arc and got his girlfriend stolen from him." Chaozu pretty much does nothing but sacrifice himself to try to save Tenshinhan in DBZ too, unfortunately. And a lot of people hate him because of his design and the fact that he doesn't get to do much.
I don't see how that changes if you include original DB. Both are continual losers.

CatouttaHell
Advanced Regular

Post by CatouttaHell » Sat May 21, 2011 9:41 pm

Rocketman wrote:I don't see how that changes if you include original DB. Both are continual losers.
So do you hate Vegeta because he gets beat up a lot and makes tons of stupid mistakes?
Rocketman wrote:Where you born unable to understand jokes or is this the result of years of hard training?

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sat May 21, 2011 9:46 pm

Yamucha lost with style in the pre-Z era stuff, at least. Chaozu was about as useful as Puar. But less interesting.
Last edited by Makaioshin on Sat May 21, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat May 21, 2011 9:48 pm

CatouttaHell wrote:
Rocketman wrote:I don't see how that changes if you include original DB. Both are continual losers.
So do you hate Vegeta because he gets beat up a lot and makes tons of stupid mistakes?
No, I'm just saying advising people who dislike Yamcha because he loses fights to watch Dragonball, where he loses even more fights, is kinda weird.

CatouttaHell
Advanced Regular

Post by CatouttaHell » Sat May 21, 2011 10:01 pm

Rocketman wrote:No, I'm just saying advising people who dislike Yamcha because he loses fights to watch Dragonball, where he loses even more fights, is kinda weird.
Oh, I see. Sorry then, I misunderstood you.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat May 21, 2011 11:49 pm

I don't like #19 and #20 at all.. They're not as bad as The Ginyu Force but eh..

I really like #16. Everything he did was just bad ass and heroic till the moment he died. Such a shame he wasn't brought back.

Tien, Piccolo, & Trunks, even Krillin are on that list of bad ass. Oh I forgot about Gohan.. He's worst than the ginyu force!

Jayy

Post by Jayy » Sun May 22, 2011 1:37 am

Now the characters that i never liked in general:

Haiya, Eliza, Daizu, Gohan(Before Adolescent), Idasam and her boys, Puar and Guldo
Dragonball Fan Since 91'
鳥山 明

CatouttaHell
Advanced Regular

Post by CatouttaHell » Sun May 22, 2011 1:50 am

Jayy wrote:Now the characters that i never liked in general:

Haiya, Eliza, Daizu, Gohan(Before Adolescent), Idasam and her boys, Puar and Guldo
Most people like those characters?

Jayy

Post by Jayy » Sun May 22, 2011 1:55 am

I was just stating characters i didn't like generally fullstop. The only ones from those list may be Haiya or Gohan that people may like. I chucked the others to contribute to the mass hate i have for them already :P

I'm not sure what many people thought of the Brief family, but i didn't really like MR and Mrs Brief that much, they were really weird and annoying to watch at time, Funimation made their dialogue and conversations awkward, All in all i didn't like them even though they were made out to be nice.
Dragonball Fan Since 91'
鳥山 明

CatouttaHell
Advanced Regular

Post by CatouttaHell » Sun May 22, 2011 3:02 am

Jayy wrote:I was just stating characters i didn't like generally fullstop. The only ones from those list may be Haiya or Gohan that people may like. I chucked the others to contribute to the mass hate i have for them already :P

I'm not sure what many people thought of the Brief family, but i didn't really like MR and Mrs Brief that much, they were really weird and annoying to watch at time, Funimation made their dialogue and conversations awkward, All in all i didn't like them even though they were made out to be nice.
Yeah a lot of people seem to reallylike Gohan. I don't really like any incarnation of him except for Cell Games Gohan to an extent, personally. Kid Goku was far, far better in every aspect IMHO.

Jayy

Post by Jayy » Sun May 22, 2011 3:18 am

Kid wise(Saiyan Blood Only) definitely this order;

- Son Goku
- Son Goten
- Trunks(Future)
- Trunks(Present)
- Vegeta
- Son Gohan
- Pan
- Vegeta Jr
- Goku Jr

Thats my order of best to most annoying, even though Vegeta Jr was never really explored I assume he wouldn't be as annoying as Goku Jr.
Dragonball Fan Since 91'
鳥山 明

CatouttaHell
Advanced Regular

Post by CatouttaHell » Sun May 22, 2011 3:41 am

I completely agree with that list except for Pan, who I actually really like. I must admit she's extremely annoying in the English dub but IMHO she's an entertaining character in the Japanese. Nobody can really outdo Kid Goku in sheer awesomeness for me though.

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Sun May 22, 2011 4:22 am

Jayy wrote:Kid wise(Saiyan Blood Only) definitely this order;

- Son Goku
- Son Goten
- Trunks(Future)
- Trunks(Present)
- Vegeta
- Son Gohan
- Pan
- Vegeta Jr
- Goku Jr

Thats my order of best to most annoying, even though Vegeta Jr was never really explored I assume he wouldn't be as annoying as Goku Jr.

Kid wise:
-Broly
-None of them

it's the only time I'll ever pick Broly over Trunks.
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

Jayy

Post by Jayy » Sun May 22, 2011 5:43 am

Pan was a good character no doubt, i thought she was a great character in Dragonball Z, at the start of GT she's a bit iffy but as the story progresses i began to like her abit more, then at the end of GT she was fine :P
Dragonball Fan Since 91'
鳥山 明